Week cycling in Netherlands Route suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 01 Jan 2020

Hi,

we have cycled in the Netherlands before, Rotterdam to Texel up the North Sea route, train back to Delft then cycle to Rotterdam.
We are going again, can anyone suggest a nice route or area. We are familiar with using the Node point network and are members of Vrienden  oop de fiets so accommodation not an issue. 
We are going at Easter to Rotterdam again and about 30 to 40 miles a day is nice which is leisurely and gives time to sight see. 

Thanks in advance,

In reply to J1234:

It's very different in character to the North Sea route and probably wouldn't take up more than a day or two, but I can highly recommend heading in toward Amsterdam along the Oude Maas. The cycling is cruisy, lots of Dutch Old Money on display, and it's a nice bit of waterfront all round. We did it touring with a baby and made the transition to Rotterdam easier by hopping on the train between Gouda and Utrecht. Without such an encumbrance, you can easily make a circular route from Rotterdam that fits in this time frame

GrahamD 04 Jan 2020
In reply to J1234:

A couple of years back, a few of us went along the coast South of Hooke via a couple of ferries, down to Bruges which we all really enjoyed. 

HansStuttgart 04 Jan 2020
In reply to J1234:

stay east of Utrecht

J1234 04 Jan 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Cheers, how long did that take you, 2 or 3 days. We are considering Train to Vlissingen then cycle up the North Sea route as far as Keukenhof, them swing inland, maybe round to Gouda. However we are considering Train to Brugge then cycle to Kukenhof, but the train looks a faf. Also is Belgium as cycle friendly as the Netherlands, the node point network seems to extend there.

I like Brugge its really nice on a human scale and I particularly like the Teddy Bear bar and the Diptych the Judgement of Cambyses which is what I would do with our politicians.

Strachan 05 Jan 2020
In reply to J1234:

I spent two weeks in Gorinchem with work last year, and took my bike with me. Did loads of miles whilst there and can honestly say it was all stunning. Especially in the general area between Leerdam, Groot-Ammers, Gouda, Kinderdijk and the Biesbosch. It would probably be worth staying in Dordrecht or Gouda or somewhere, as Gorinchem, whilst nice, is pretty small, but the trip is one I remember very fondly indeed.

GrahamD 05 Jan 2020
In reply to J1234:

We cycled to Vlissingham in one day, and actually went to Ypres via Bruges the next.  I can send you the .gpx files if you email.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...