Waterproof jacket for commuting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Becky E 17 Oct 2020

I'm looking for recommendations for a waterproof jacket for commuting please.

Criteria:

- bright and easy to see (a combination of bright colour & reflective patches).

- waterproof

- decent venting for when I'm slogging up the lo-o-ong hill home

- some sort of mesh lining or other "non-stick" finish so it doesn't stick to my skin if I'm just wearing a short-sleeve t-shirt underneath

- a pocket for keys etc and to stash my gloves & lights whilst I'm faffing with the bike lock at work

- women's fit to accommodate hips (men,s fit is usually too snug round the bum)

- I'm not sure how essential a hood would be

I have tried the local bike shops, but they don't have much stock and what they do have is either v expensive, v cheap crap (one salesman said "don't buy that, it's rubbish" or very lightweight.  So now I'm searching online and getting utterly confused.

I have got down to a sort-of shortlist of Madison Stellar reflective and "standard" versions (the latter has more pockets), Madison Prima, Endura Luminite DL and Endura Luminite 4-in-1 (which seems to be a different jacket).  So if anyone has any feedback about any of those, that would be appreciated.

Thank you!

GerM 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E:

Not perfect, but meets a lot of those requirements and dirt cheap, and really good for the price, Aldi had waterproof jackets recently still have some ladies in the smaller size online. Got one of the mens ones, and pretty good allround for commuting. Might not do, but worth a look.

If you like pink.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-ladies%27-pink-cycling-jacket/p/80156040908780...

afx22 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E:

I’d say, forget about the mesh lining.  You’ll have much more choice and it’ll fold up smaller.  Wearing a long sleeve base layer underneath will prevent any sticking.  You can go thinner or lighter on the base layer, depending on the conditions.

Andy Hardy 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E:

No ideas about jackets, but just to say a hi-vis vest makes a cheap addition to turn a normal cag into a cycling one.

In reply to Becky E:

A possible addition to your list - Altura night vision jacket? 

I’ve had a men’s version for a while and it meets all your requirements including having a removable hood. Mine is fully waterproof though I think it’s definitely not the most breathable, but it does have back and side vents to help with venting and the mesh liner helps it sticking to skin when you do get clammy.  The reflective patches really stand out when they catch the light at night time. 

Dave B 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E:

I wish you luck. I've been using a freestyle jacket goretex from about 1998 that's still waterproof for commuting where I'm not going too far.. 3-6 milesish. It pretty much fits the bill. I've never had a jacket last as long and still be waterproof... Its probably why it's not even made any more, no repeat sales...

For actual cycling I have a perfetto, which is better than the waterproof, but can't be shaken dry. 

elsewhere 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E:

Another vote for altura night vision.

Mesh lined, pockets, pit zips, optional hood - rarely used.

Maybe heavy/bulky but has done me a few winters of commuting.

My wife is happy with women's fit.

wbo2 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E: i have a Gore jacket  that would be very good if it was a bit longer, but is well made and durable

lizard-16-07 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Becky E:

I've got one of the proviz jackets ( superhttps://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-womens-cycling-jacket.html) super reflective all over and a back pocket and 2 chest pockets which are great and mesh lining. It is a warm jacket, so I do find that on warm and wet days I can get sweaty but it does have big pit zips for venting. The only other drawback is the neck doesn't have a drawcord to cinch it in, which I find useful in the rain,but I just wear a buff to plug the gap. I wouldn't bother with a hood, annoying when you don't need it as they flap around and can block your vision when looking behind. A cycling cap is my essential for commuting. They're vital in the rain to keep it out of your face, make a difference to warmth and somehow they magically seem to keep your hair dry even in heavy rain! Overall I'd say I feel much more visible and confident in the depths of winter wearing the proviz jacket, but my commute is pan flat so getting too sweaty isn't so much of an issue for me. It's also kept me completely dry in torrential rain so is my go to when it's really lashing it down!

Post edited at 19:03
 lizard-16-07 18 Oct 2020
In reply to elsewhere:

My previous commuting jacket was an Altura night vision and again it's a very good jacket, possibly fits the bill more for you wanting colour as well as it being reflective! 

OP Becky E 18 Oct 2020
In reply to All

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm not really sure why the Altura Night Vision had escaped my radar, but as it's been recommended by several people I'll definitely take a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...