Warm Showers host

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 21 Jan 2021

I have used Frienden oops de Fiets, but have heard of Warm Showers and it seems a great thing to do, both as a host and a guest, Karmatastic, anyone on here any experience of WS, particularly as a host.

Cheers Steve

tjhare1 21 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

I was trying to work out how to join as a host only, but I wasn’t massively keen on being asked to fork out 30quid to do something for which I have no intent to gain from! It just seemed like something nice to do to help other like minded folk out, which I’m perfectly happy to do for nothing (but less so if I have to pay for the pleasure of offering free accommodation!).

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong - any tips?

J1234 21 Jan 2021
In reply to tjhare1:

I suspect the £30 goes towards funding the scheme and puts off loonies, have you checked out Couch Surfers, I have not but it sounds similar.

James FR 22 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

I have used WS quite extensively, both as a guest and a host, all over Europe. I might have been lucky but I've only had good experiences with it. The only annoyance as a host has been on a handful of occasions when a guest just doesn't turn up, or cancels at the last minute.

I don't have recent experience with it for obvious reasons, but over the last few years the organisation has become a lot more commercial/professional (it used to be free to join) and less community-driven.

J1234 22 Jan 2021
In reply to James FR:

Do you host in your house, or do they camp in the garden?

Does the more professional attitude make it work better?

It all sounds pretty positive TBH.

barneyc 22 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Hi Steve and Co.

I used WS several times while cycling through expensive Scandinavia. My wife has even developed a friendship over the longer time with someone who hosted us.

I hosted people in return once I was in a position to do so. Its been allround a positive experience.

I definitely did not pay 30!!

ag17 22 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

We used to be WS hosts a few years ago, before the fees. We hosted in our home, including providing an actual warm shower and food. We stopped due to changes in our domestic circumstances.

It was a great experience, meeting a diverse range of people that we wouldn't otherwise have met. We always had at least one thing in common with them (cycle touring), so we never found it awkward. And people were only ever with us for one night...

We insisted on a certain amount of notice (to fit in with shift work) and were able to look at the profile of potential visitors (including comments made about them by other hosts!) before accepting them, but we never turned anyone down unless their dates clashed with work.

We would do it again if we could.

James FR 22 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

I host in the house, and when I've stayed as a guest I've only camped in gardens a few times. I usually cook an evening meal for guests which seems to be the norm, at least in Europe. And as it's really meant to be reciprocal, I definitely don't expect guests to bring anything as a gift.

I'm not sure there have been that many changes although the original members complained a lot a few years ago (you can probably find some details on the WS forums, which have been archived on the website but are still visible). There was talk of them implementing a proper booking system, but as far as I can see nothing has changed - you just message the person you'd like to stay with and go from there.

As long as you don't mind frequent requests for donations then I would definitely recommend WS for cycle touring. One last thing, I only accept guests who are actually on a cycling trip - being in a large city I sometimes get requests from people who happen to be cyclists, just looking for free accommodation... That is what couch surfing is for.

In reply to J1234:

I have been a host for a few years but only hosted once. I guess Derby isn't a massively popular place for people to tour to and most requests have been last minute which I am not keen on (note to self: be more spontaneous). The one hosting experience was great; a very friendly person who was on their way home from the airport after flying back from a tour of the Karakoram Highway, so it was great to listen to the stories.

In reply to James FR:

>  One last thing, I only accept guests who are actually on a cycling trip - being in a large city I sometimes get requests from people who happen to be cyclists, just looking for free accommodation... That is what couch surfing is for.

Yes, I once had a request from someone who was going to be in town for a job interview and needed somewhere to stay (I can't remember if they said they were a cyclist)! I mean sure, if you've got no job then you might need cheap digs, but that's something of an abuse of what Warmshowers is meant to be for.

J1234 22 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Thanks all.

I have bought Tom Allens book and he suggests being a Warm Showers host as it enables you to meet people into cycle touring both guests and other local hosts and it builds up your profile for when you go travelling.

I also like the idea of being nice and doing something to help people.

Climb Psyched 23 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

It's a great site. I used it cycling from Ireland to Turkey. Allowed me to meet people in every country. 

Met a guy in Ireland that said no showers were available. I laughed a lot. 

Hosts in Germany were very generous and great fun.  

A guy in Croatia was away on a tour to Russia so couldn't host. Instead he told me where his keys were hidden and said I could stay. There were about a hundred letters in his flat saying thanks. 

I stayed with a few folk who were now paying it forward after their cycling experiences through Warm Showers. 

Now it's my time to host folk although current situation has put a dampener on that but I look forward to hosting, feeding and sorting peoples bikes out for them.  

Wasn't aware it was now £30 but I'm happy to contribute.  

J1234 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Climb Psyched:

Ireland to Turkey, thats interesting, how long did you take over that, did you camp as well?

JohnV 23 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

+1 for warmshowers, it's awesome! I've hosted 20+ cyclists at my flat in Lima- folks usually going Anchorage- Ushuaia or vice versa, except for one chap who had cycled across from Rio on a tandem, then rowed across the Pacific to Singapore, on his own. So yes, you'll meet some fascinating people!

The £30 is recent (in place for perhaps a year now). Those who had registered beforehand keep their free account.

Climb Psyched 24 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Around 4 months. I didn't appreciate how big Ireland was. I did Belfast to Belfast round the coast which ate up quite a chunk of time then Ferry back and ferry to Hook of Holland.  Didn't have a plan from there but following the rivers and famous cycle network seemed simplest. Then went off the beaten track and volunteered at some farms. 
Mainly wild camped. Most difficult in Ireland out of all the countries. 
I had planned to cycle round the world but by the time I reached Istanbul I was ready to go home. 

J1234 24 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnV:

Thank you, this sounds positive. I am winding myself up to go cycle touring and cycling to Istanbul seems achievable, but associating with like minded people is the way ahead. Obviously all this is Covid dependent.

Row across the Pacific, blimey, what an amazing idea, I cannot get my head around that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...