Vuelta (it's on ITV4). May contain spoilers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 26 Aug 2019

That's Quintana seen smiling AGAIN in 2019.

JLS 26 Aug 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Gosh, I heeded the billing of this stage as a sprint stage and didn't get around to watching. Reading the report this morning it looks like it turned into a very intresting GC day.

Post edited at 09:07
 abr1966 26 Aug 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Very surprising victory! A classic case of the leading group getting caught looking at eachother and not wishing to lead and tow anybody else! I bet Roche is kicking himself...I was really hoping he'd get a win. I really like the Vuelta....

DaveHK 01 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Cracking stage today. Quintana should enjoy that 6 second lead on the rest day because Roglic is going to put about 20 times that into him on Tuesday. And poor Marc Soler, having to sit up to gain Quintana a handful of seconds. Don't know what he drinks but Quintana owes him a few.

Yanis Nayu 01 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I reckon Carlton Kirby had had a few. WTF was he on about?

DaveHK 01 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I thought exactly the same and nearly said so in my last post. He's usually a bit over the top but today he called lots of stuff wrong. I suspect Kelly finds him pretty hard work. He's got that job because he can fill the dead air, not because of any insight he has into pro cycling.

Post edited at 20:23
xyz 02 Sep 2019

I agree 100%

Carlton Kirby is the most annoying commentator he just bumbles on about inane pointless crap. Yesterday he never mentioned the fact López had blood running down his arm clearly showing there had been a crash at some point when the coverage went down.

The combination of Kirby and Kelly just ruins the Eurosport coverage. Kirby is terrible but Kelly’s monotone voice just sends you to sleep. Ned B and David Millar on ITV4 are a million times better, interesting, well humoured and with contemporary knowledge of the Peloton and tactics. It’s just a massive shame ITV4 has no live coverage

Jon Greengrass 02 Sep 2019
In reply to xyz:

> Carlton Kirby is the most annoying commentator he just bumbles on about inane pointless crap. Yesterday he never mentioned the fact López had blood running down his arm clearly showing there had been a crash at some point when the coverage went down.

Do the camera motos not have recording equipment, I've always been perplexed that when the live feed drops out that they aren't able to recover the footage once the cameras reach the stage finish? If they did then the highlights would be much better.

Post edited at 10:05
 GrahamD 02 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Interesting to speculate whether Soler would have been strong enough to have won in any case. Just got to love Movistar internal politics. 

GrahamD 02 Sep 2019
In reply to xyz:

Its not just Miller and Boulting on ITV 4. I love Gary Imlachs dry summing up.

By comparison i find Kelly's comments so inane.  As soon as someone goes to the front he'll pipe up with "hes riding for his leader (insert name)" with no comment on how this move is helping at all

GrahamD 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

The moto still has to actually be at incident and it does rely on  conditions being safe enough for the camera to be filming rather than hanging on for dear life ! Difficult job with riders spread over many km of unfriendly roads

Jon Greengrass 02 Sep 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

> The moto still has to actually be at incident and it does rely on  conditions being safe enough for the camera to be filming rather than hanging on for dear life ! 

It was quite terrifying when the camera moto crashed in the heavy rain on stage 8 while broadcasting.

abr1966 02 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Soler was well pi++ed off wasn't he!! Can't say u blame him as he looked strong and would have took it to the finish I reckon. I'm not sure I'd bust a gut for Quintana....they had a chance of winning the stage but blew it! I thought Roglic looked strong!

abr1966 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I reckon Carlton Kirby had had a few. WTF was he on about?

He was absolutely talking nonsense and even more annoying than usual.....I'm not too keen on Millar as a commentator but I think Ned is amiable....I prefer the overall eurosport coverage but put ITV4 on to avoid Kirby!!!

Dark-Cloud 02 Sep 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

I cant abide listening to Kelly, him an Duffield used to be painful:

DD "So Sean i notice that some of the riders don't wear gloves, is there a reason for that, is it just personal preference or does it offer better grip for instance" 

SK "Well, to be sure, some rider don't wear gloves for better grip but its generally down to personal preference"

Insightful, thanks....

DaveHK 02 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

I keep expecting Kelly to come out with stuff like 'That would be an ecumenical matter' or 'Father, I killed a man!'

Joking aside, I like him but I grew up in Kelly's golden years and he was my absolute hero. Because of that I'm content to hear him mumble and begorrah his way through every race.

DaveHK 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Insightful, thanks....

There was a brilliant exchange a few years ago maybe in the Giro. Kirby spoke for about ten minutes about whether the bunch should wait for a high placed rider who crashed. He read out all sorts of tweets and opinion and eventually said 'what do you think Sean?' to which Kelly simply responded:

"Race on"

And that was the end of that for the oracle had spoken.

In reply to elsewhere:

Not seeing any highlights on Itv4 tonight. Anyone know when they're on? 

DaveHK 02 Sep 2019
In reply to becauseitsthere:

> Not seeing any highlights on Itv4 tonight. Anyone know when they're on? 

It's the rest day.

DaveHK 03 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> Cracking stage today. Quintana should enjoy that 6 second lead on the rest day because Roglic is going to put about 20 times that into him on Tuesday.

It was even worse! Poor Soler must be even more pissed off at having to sit up now.

OP elsewhere 03 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Saw video* in the hail on flooded gravel roads from the "lost footage" of Sunday. Looked frightening doing their speed in those conditions.

*ITV4 highlights for Tuesday time trial.

Gone for good 03 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Amazing TT by Roglic. Poor old Nairo just didn't have the legs today. 

DaveHK 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> Amazing TT by Roglic. Poor old Nairo just didn't have the legs today. 

He's been pretty up and down for a few years now. 

Gone for good 06 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Roglic is bossing the Vuelta. Fantastic performance again today on a brutal hill. He could have won the stage if he wanted to but let his fellow countryman take the glory. Great to see new young talent come through this year. 

DaveHK 06 Sep 2019

Aye, great performances.

OP elsewhere 11 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Bloody hell, cross winds are exciting! Fantastic stage today (Wednesday).

Quintana takes 5 minutes, Movistar chases Movistar again.

GravitySucks 12 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Yup, you could see Valverde congratulating him with a baseball bat behind the team bus

balmybaldwin 12 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

I really think the Movistar DS needs to go back to race strategy school.

GrahamD 13 Sep 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Or man management more likely.  Too many egos

OP elsewhere 13 Sep 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

> Or man management more likely.  Too many egos

Two places in the podium. The movistar ds is making the best of those two egos. Or is completely powerless!

Gone for good 13 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Normal service resumed. Quintana dropped again. Valverde and Rogic bossing the hills. Shame about Pogacar but good to see Lopez back in white. 

OP elsewhere 14 Sep 2019

Pogacar - great ride, a wise head on young legs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...