Upgrade chainset?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben1234 17 Oct 2021

Hi. I have an old trek fuel ex7. Not sure of the year but probably over 10 years old. Whilst old the frame and forks are more than enough for my needs and skills. However the chainset is in need of replacing. Is it possible to upgrade to an 11 speed setup or something similar? Looking at places like crc the choice is boggling. Where would I start to find out options. Cheers Ben 

The Norris 17 Oct 2021
In reply to ben1234:

What does it currently have on it? Sounds like there will be different answers regarding whether you'd need a new hub/cranks etc depending on what speed cassette you currently have, whether you have a single chainring up front, whether it is shimano or sram (or other)...

Also worth applying a filter on crc for 'in stock only'. If its still like my 6 month hunt for a 12 speed chain earlier in the year, it might be tricky to get the bits you need. Hopefully it's improved a but since then.

OP ben1234 17 Oct 2021
In reply to The Norris:

Ok thanks. Currently has shimano deore 9 speed cassette, xt front derailleur and hollowtech cranks!

beardy mike 18 Oct 2021
In reply to ben1234:

Yes you can upgrade, what would your ideal setup be? 1x, 2x? Personally I love clutch dérailleurs as they stay put very well and are much quieter with less maintenance. To go to 11x you can use either a Sunrace cassette (MX range if I remember correctly) or SRAM also do a cassette which fits 8-10 speed old style hubs. Personally I prefer the feel of Shimano, so get one of these cassettes and match it with a midrange Shimano derailleur and shifter. Chain, I like KMC, just buy their plated midrange chain, and for a cranked you could just replace the middle ring on the cranks you have with a thick thin ring of an appropriate size... you can get them from lots of people, just get the right BCD ring...

LastBoyScout 18 Oct 2021
In reply to ben1234:

Firstly, why does the chainset need replacing - I assume it's just worn out?

Otherwise, I'd tend to agree with Beardy Mike.

Bottom bracket is easy enough to replace and putting a single narrow-wide ring on triple XT cranks seems a common enough tactic.

Regardless of if you change your rear wheel/hub, you'll still need an 11-speed rear mech and shifter.

Depending on what shifters you've currently got, you may also need new brake lever(s).

mondite 19 Oct 2021
In reply to The Norris:

> Also worth applying a filter on crc for 'in stock only'. If its still like my 6 month hunt for a 12 speed chain earlier in the year, it might be tricky to get the bits you need. Hopefully it's improved a but since then.

Everything I have seen indicates it hasnt . It really is a case of stuff appearing as and when and suggestions it aint going to calm down until mid next year at best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...