Ultegra or 105?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davegs 17 Mar 2019

Looking at a Giant Propel Advanced 1 or 2. The main difference appears to be Ultegra or 105. 

Is it worth £230 extra for the Ultegra?

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/giant-propel-advanced-2-201...

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/giant-propel-advanced-1-201...

Phil1919 17 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

My opinion would be.......you wouldn't notice it. 105 is fine.

mag 17 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

SRAM rival. If you don’t mind your brake levers flapping around get shimano.

abr1966 17 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

105 and £230 in your pocket!!

Run_Ross_Run 17 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

I'd worry less about the group set and more on other things  

What are you planning on riding? If its hilly or just starting out cycling then 11-28 might not be the best cassette. 

Also, 

Wheel set isn't that good, have been told that they can have a few problems with moderate mileage .

I had a giant a few years back and didn't rate it, however my mate at work has a lower spec model and really likes it, regularly spanks the other group riders on bikes costing double . 

gethin_allen 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

On the 105 model I wouldn't be concerned as it has a compact 34 up front, the ultegra could be a bit stiff as it's got a semi compact 36 up front. I suppose it depends on if the rear mech is the medium or short cage version.

On my TCR 3 I did find the giant wheels a bit annoying. They performed ok, light and stiff enough for the price point of the bike, but the rear wheel clicked when you pushed hard because the holes in the  rim seemed to be too big for the nipples. So I ended up swapping them out.

OP davegs 18 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

First "real" bike!

Going for the 105 option.

Thanks for all the advice.

LastBoyScout 18 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

The 105 is a better colour! My new bike has 105 - it's fine.

Use the £230 to upgrade the wheels!

subtle 18 Mar 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> The 105 is a better colour!

Best deciding factor in getting a new bike ever.

Davegs - 105 is fine, put the money saved towards better wheels. Enjoy your bike.

Removed User 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

Campag………..

dsiska 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

I've been on 105 and honestly can't imagine what should be working better... it's just great! Save the £230 for whatever other upgrades (new saddle that fits your needs better... a good wind / waterproof jacket whatever). 

The New NickB 19 Mar 2019
In reply to dsiska:

My first bike had Tiagra and I thought it was great, I treated myself to a new bike with Dura Ace and after a summer of fun with that I went back to my first bike as a winter bike. The difference between the two groupsets was massive, brakes as much as how smooth the gear changes felt. I’ve since bought a cyclocross bike with 105 and again I can feel a big difference. That said, the extra money might be best spent on wheels.

ericoides 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

106 is one faster.

Rigid Raider 19 Mar 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Do you mean that 105 was noticeably smoother or Dura-Ace?

I've got Dura-Ace on my hooligan bike and I think it's better even than the Ultegra on my regular bike.

Post edited at 17:01
 hdog76 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

105 is an amazing workhorse, I have had my current set for 7 years and never faulters, I have added a cassette up to 32 which has made a massive improvements to climbing long hills, although I am getting old now so it makes it more fun. 

The New NickB 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

The Dura Ace was noticeably smoother, the braking far superior.

JimR 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

I've got SRAM red on my road bike and 105 on my gravel / winter bike,  I don't notice any significant  difference, both are excellent systems

felt 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

I've got all three, and this is the order of superiority, a real trainspotter's wet dream: Ultegra 6800, 105 5800, Ultegra 6700. All  perfectly good.

Dave B 19 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

Id get ultegra  

Its unlikely you'll upgrade the whole groupset once you've bought the bike....

Last years model had better ultegra than 105... The 105 update happened after the model was done. Ultegra updated before. 

At some point you can buy better wheels  but do you need them straight away? 

Its still a steal , and better value than the tcr even reduced. 

Mind you it's not quite full 105/ultegra. The brakes are giants own... Probs an issue with being aero. 

Graham6664 21 Mar 2019
In reply to davegs:

Have a look at Ribble, you build the bike to the spec you want, Shimano / Campag or whatever, for the price of the bikes in your links you would get a cracking bike.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-r872/build/#Bike

Another option is Planet X:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes

Hope this helps.

Graham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...