Tubeless Tyre Bulge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boomer Doomer 24 Jul 2021

I rather suspect that the tyre is FUBAR, but... maybe the UKC hive-mind can help? I have a bulge around 5mm high and about the size of a hazelnut on the crown of a 700 x 40 Giant Crosscut tyre, which still appears to otherwise have plenty of life left in it. Does anyone know of any hacks to repair it or failing that any idea as to what caused it so I can possibly avoid it happening again. It was inflated to around 65psi (50 to 75 is recommended) and I noticed it when cleaning my bike after a long but not too radical gravel ride. Thanks in advance.

balmybaldwin 24 Jul 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

Doubt it, but could try unmounting and using a repair patch on the back of the tyre in an attempt to prevent air getting in to the bulge.

However I would be very suspicious of it and consider it likely to blow at any minute.  Tyres are cheap, dentistry less so

OP Boomer Doomer 24 Jul 2021
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Tyres are cheap, dentistry less so

Yeah... very true! Thanks for the reminder.

Marek 24 Jul 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

Can't recommend a repair (that I would have any confidence in), but in term of prevention I would have to say that 65psi seems a very high pressure for a 40mm tyre. I run my 40mm tyres at 30/35psi, perhaps 40psi max if I'm staying on tarmac. 65psi is more like what I have in my roadie 28mm tyres. I weigh ~75kg. Something to think about?

OP Boomer Doomer 24 Jul 2021
In reply to Marek:

Yeah... that's where I run my 28 road tyres as well... front 70, rear 75. I'm a bit of a newb to gravel biking but was still surprised when I read the recommended pressure on the tyres (50 - 75 psi). I'd just plugged a hole in the same tyre as well, so I plumped for just above half of the recommended pressure to test out my handywork.

I think I'll play it safe and go for new tyres. Really liking the Goodyears recommended by Toby on the other thread... have also read some other reviews now and they seem to be highly recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...