Trans pennine trail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 04 Jun 2020

Hi,

we are considering doing the Trans Pennine trail west to east. I am getting conflicting views on bike suitability and trail quality. Can anyone point me at a recent blog or trail report that can give an up to date idea of what to expect.

We have done longish journeys before, but this will be a step up for us and do not want any nasty surprises to spoil it for us.

I may use this as an excuse to buy a touring bike, which some reports suggest is suitable, but others are less encouraging.

Just an aside, I think we would start in Rossendale, cycle to Padiham, then follow the Leeds Liverpool canal and join the TPT at Liverpoo, which would negate the issue of getting to one end, can anyone for see a problem with this, other than it will not be an official tick of the route.

Cheers Steve

Post edited at 08:55
 dread-i 04 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

Not done the tpt, but live near the Leeds Liverpool canal. I was thinking of using that to go to Leeds either by bike or running. (There is a second route back from Leeds along the Calder and Hebble canal). You could extend it slightly further then hit a few footpaths to get to the east coast. Canal paths are generally flat, though their condition varies from tarmac to bog. If you were self supported, there are lots of fields where one could pitch a tent late at night and leave early in the morning, without bothering anyone. Probably best to wait until the pubs are open again. That way, you can visit dozens of canal side pubs, to show your support.

J1234 04 Jun 2020
In reply to dread-i:

LOL, in true UKC fashion, you have replied on a subject that you have not got the foggiest about, BUT have given great information and inspiration. I am now thinking of a shorter trip, turn right at padiham and head for leeds, then return to bury, via the calder and hebble, then back up the sustrans from bury to Rawtenstall. 

On the off chance, do you know if there are many tunnels on the Calder/Hebble please.

Thanks for the input

Steve

TobyA 04 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

I've ridden bits of the main route, as well as bits of the spur route that goes down to Chesterfield. You don't say what type of bike you are considering or have - but from the bits I've been on, probably anything beyond super skinny road bike tyres would be OK. I've mainly used my CX/gravel bike but have ridden parts on my mountain bike too. There are a couple of pics from the TPT in this http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2015/07/bikepacking-around-peak-distr... I remember most of it as being hard packed gravel on old railway line, although the bit over the tunnel in Longendale was a bit rougher. But nowhere near as rough as the bits of the Pennine Bridleway around Kinder that I also rode on the same trip. I was pushing the limits of 35 mm tyres and a CX bike there, whilst it was perfect for cruising down the TPT.

dread-i 04 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

>On the off chance, do you know if there are many tunnels on the Calder/Hebble please.

If you zoom in on the map, there is a lot of detail.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

On the Leeds Liverpool, from Padiham to Burnley, there is a tunnel on the outskirts of Burnley, without a towpath. You need to go via the roads for a little bit.

>via the calder and hebble, then back up the sustrans from bury to Rawtenstall. 

You can run or cycle from Bury to Rawtenstall in an hour or so. There is a path along the river, which is navigable by bike. Unless, of course, you're looking forward to real ale at both stations and a steam train to take you home in style

J1234 04 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Hi 

thanks, we have MTBs, but I was intending putting hybrid tyres on, but also I am considering buying a touring bike and this may be its inaugural trip.

J1234 04 Jun 2020
In reply to dread-i:

That's great thank you.

We will cycle from Bury, however in the past we have had an evening meal on the Train, which I hi.ghly recommend, rather romantic.

AukWalk 04 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

Afraid I haven't done the whole thing myself or read any recent trip reports, but just to add my 2 pence:

I live near the TPT and have cycled the sections from Warrington to Liverpool and Warrington towards Manchester on occasion.  Personally I don't think it's that great - surface is generally rough, and there are about a million A frames that you have to waddle through, which is super annoying and could be difficult with panniers (although apparently some of these have been removed recently). Some sections of it go through pleasant countryside or past interesting landmarks though. 

I have a friend who cycled the whole thing a while ago, and while they enjoyed the adventure & achievement I don't think they'd do it again. Found that some sections were just a bit bland and it sort of gets lost when you get to City centres.

Hopefully not too much of a downer, but that's just my opinion! 

Levy_danny 04 Jun 2020
In reply to AukWalk:

Having done a short bit between south Manchester and over near Warrington this weekend I can confirm there are quite a few A frames still to get through, fine without panniers but I'm sure a pain in the arse with. From the short bits I've done I think a CX bike that could hold panniers would be the ideal bike, I've done loads of touring on my Genesis Croix de fer and find it ideal. 

Bulls Crack 04 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

The Calder Hebble route was going to be mostly resurfaced and open by now  but sections are still closed - not sure there are any tunnels. 

CathS 04 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

I live next to the TPT between Warrington and Altrincham and can vouch for the surface conditions not being great a lot of the time.  

In particular the section between Warrington (Thelwall New Rd) and Lymm turns into a complete quagmire after even a relatively short spell of wet weather, with significant amounts of standing water (including an underpass with a foot deep permanent lake of stagnant water to get through), deeply rutted mud and parts even turning into a minor watercourse from broken drains flooding onto the trail.   It's negotiable (but messy) on a mountain bike, but wouldn't fancy it on any other sort of bike.   It's all down to virtually zero maintenance by Warrington Borough Council over the last few years, despite hundreds of complaints from the locals.

The rest of it from Lymm to Altrincham is a bit better, with a gravelly but in places heavily pot-holed surface.   There are a lot of big puddles and a couple of minor lakes to negotiate after a wet spell.   When dry, it is very dusty (with a peculiar brand of dust that is particularly erosive to chains and cassettes...).

Since the lockdown, it's all become extremely busy with local walkers, families with kids out on bikes, pushchairs, dogs etc.   I've stopped using it for cycling and only go running on it during quieter times.

I'd also add that the cycling on the trail isn't really that inspiring, whilst the maze of adjacent country roads, particularly between Lymm and Altrincham, and the nearby Cheshire Cycleway, is fantastic, with quiet roads, lots of pretty hamlets and countryside views.  If you are going to use touring bikes, I'd highly recommend linking a route up on those rather than using the TPT.

J1234 05 Jun 2020
In reply to CathS:

Thats great info thank you, it sounds like a flexible approach and a map is needed, a paper one. Sustrans do some great ones.

Removed User 05 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

The TPT from Dunford Bridge, Woodhead Tunnels, East is tarmacked. It's as good as a road. As mentioned above the Longendale section, on the old railway is good.

Just a hugh pity the Woodhead Route was closed. An engineering feat in it's time and would be a valuable piece of infrastructure nowadays.

TobyA 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:> The TPT from Dunford Bridge, Woodhead Tunnels, East is tarmacked.

Is it? Funny, I'm sure I remember it was gravel like most sustrans old railway line routes! Maybe it was a presumption rather than a memory though!

Removed User 05 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> > The TPT from Dunford Bridge, Woodhead Tunnels, East is tarmacked.

> Is it? Funny, I'm sure I remember it was gravel like most sustrans old railway line routes! Maybe it was a presumption rather than a memory though!

The National Grid paid for it after they rerouted cables through the "new" tunnel.

Simon2005 05 Jun 2020
In reply to J1234:

I did the western half of the TPT a few years back wife my wife. Started in Southport, through to Barnsley before heading North to Leeds and then Skipton. We used a couple of old rigid MTB's with road tyres and had no real problems. I reckon with the exception of a couple of very short sections I could easily have managed on my tourer.

J1234 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Simon2005:

Thats great thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...