Trans Cambria MTB route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 27 Jun 2018

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/trans-cambrian-way/

Anybody else done this, or thought about it?

I did this yesterday and finished in about 14h (Knighton to Mach). My choice was to drive to Machynlleth and get the train to Ludlow then cycled to Knighton (+15 miles), then left the trail at about 92 miles by Aberhosan and returned to Machynlleth on road via Forge.

I really enjoyed the route, a good mix of all trail and terrain types, some smooth fast grass sections and some rough rocky paths with fantastic views all the way. It was way too hot though but Id packed a water filter so filled up regularly.

Id really recommend this (probably over 2 days) if you're in to this sort of riding. I used a full rigid mtb with 650b 2.35" tyres, but would have been better on narrower faster rolling tyres in this dry weather.   

Post edited at 14:43
 Bob Hughes 27 Jun 2018
In reply to The Potato:

good effort...!

OP The Potato 29 Jun 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Nobody else here ridden it?

I'm trying to sell it to my wife as a 2 day trip for next year hopefully of her sciatica is gone

Post edited at 11:04
 Deri Jones 29 Jun 2018
In reply to The Potato:

If you're doing it as a slightly longer trip, when you get to Glaslyn, you could turn right and follow the track that heads west to llyn Cwm byr and on to the forestry at Mynydd Bychan (SN782924) where it joins the Mach 3 route for a nice scenic track all the way back to Mach, including the "The chute" - I'd guess more fun than the road from Aberhosan. Map of Mach 3: http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/mach-maps/krqdv59uh0zb5xdr251p44ey88x5...

I've walked that bit, being allergic to 2 wheels, but the mountain bike folk that I've met seem to love it. Good effort doing it in a day.

In reply to The Potato:

Thanks for the idea.

I'm looking for something new to do over the summer holidays and this could be one for the list.

TWS

Sam W 29 Jun 2018
In reply to The Potato:

I've done a variant on the route, Aberystwyth-Ludlow, and had a great couple of days. Fantastic scenery and few sections which aren't off road.

Having praised the lack of tarmac, road based trips in the same area are also worth checking out. You'll hardly see a car in the lanes and even main routes are quiet. Epic climbs and descents, road surfaces are generally good and Welsh towns have great cafes.  Had a go at Ludlow-Machynlleth-Ludlow on Tuesday but a combination of heat and mechanicals meant I bailed onto the train at Aberystwyth. Will give it another go later in the summer.

OP The Potato 29 Jun 2018
In reply to Sam W:

I wonder if we crossed paths at any point, i was on an all black bike, with green Hope shorts and various bags and bottles on my bike, black helmet

Sam W 29 Jun 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Possible, I left Ludlow about 6:30am and got to Machynlleth about 12:30.  Came over the mountain road from Llanidloes, had a short off road detour somewhere between Newtown and Llanidloes, not ideal on my carbon bike with aero wheels....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...