touring tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malk 17 Mar 2018

i'm looking for some touring type tyres, lightish weight, easy rolling, good puncture resistance - mainly for good off-road surfaces but some rougher stuff~32-35mm width- any recommendations?

was looking at something like schwalbe supreme or vittoria hyper but they seem to be end of line.

tempted to just go with the classic marathon greenguard..

beardy mike 17 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

How about some of the WTB offerings - there's the Riddler in a 37 and 35 crossboss. Or the Bontrager LT3 in a 35... Ran those for probably 5 years on my cross bike and they were pretty good on all bar very loose or wet ground... or there's any number of gravel tyres in those sizes these days of you want something light and with some tread but low rolling resistance...

The Potato 17 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

my gravel bike has schwalbe cx comp 35mm tyres and continental innertubes which I put some slime sealant in (conti have removable valve cores)

Does the job for me!

DaveHK 17 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

I've toured for years including gravel roads on Panaracer Pasela tyres. They roll pretty well, fit easy and seem to be pretty puncture resistant.

Jim Lancs 17 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> I've toured for years including gravel roads on Panaracer Pasela tyres. They roll pretty well, fit easy and seem to be pretty puncture resistant.

I could have written that verbatim.

pasbury 17 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

Marathon pluses are pretty bombproof in my experience. Maybe not the lightest but reliable.

However would second the opinion on the paselas too - good reliable tyre.

OP malk 21 Mar 2018
In reply to The Potato:

> my gravel bike has schwalbe cx comp 35mm tyres and continental innertubes which I put some slime sealant in (conti have removable valve cores)

that's what i'm replacing- cheap but they wear very quickly and not very puncture resistant

OP malk 21 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

i've heard good things about panaracer- they make the jack brown tyres?- was thinking the blue 33.3 would fit the bill, but how can a tyre with hardly any tread be any good on gravel?

Post edited at 15:16
 the sheep 21 Mar 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Agree with the puncture resistance of the Marathon plus, over 4000km on my latest pair and not one, in fact cant remember having any on the old bike when it had them on either.

cb294 21 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season or Gator Hardshell. Not cheap, but indestructible.

CB

cousin nick 21 Mar 2018
In reply to the sheep:

+1 for Marathon plus if you're not too worried about tonnage.

I have them on my Brompton commuter and have never had a flat.

N

the sheep 21 Mar 2018
In reply to cousin nick:

For me dropping weight off the rider is far more likely to result in significant difference compared to what you can save on a tyre 

The Potato 21 Mar 2018
In reply to cb294:

probably not much good off road though, theyre slicks arent they?

cb294 22 Mar 2018
In reply to The Potato:

True, but I run them on my cyclocross bike for gravely roads (for the moment I have the luxury to  commute to work where I need to cross two roads and the rest is through forest!). There are also profiled and studded versions if you prefer.

CB

QRZBuddha 23 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

A few years ago I did a round trip along the Rhein.. Bristol to Stitzerland and back loaded up pretty heavy.. had Vittoria Randonneur 32s on and they did the whole trip 3500km+ without a single puncture.. 

Jim C 23 Mar 2018
In reply to the sheep:

> For me dropping weight off the rider is far more likely to result in significant difference compared to what you can save on a tyre 

You have to laugh at cyclists / climbers who have spent small fortunes to save just a few ounces, who looking at them could easily lose a stone in weight. 

Its worthwhile if your an elite athlete, but if you are an  elite your likely not to have an ounce to spare, and if your not, you can easily lose more weight than you can ever afford to save by using super light equipment.  

Post edited at 10:03
OP malk 23 Mar 2018
In reply to QRZBuddha:

i used to ride those- very good puncture resistance, but stopped using them when i read this:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/vittoria-randonneur-2...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...