Tour of Britain - tips for a first time spectator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tobes 06 Sep 2021

All,

Never attended a bike event on this scale before - live very close to the Cairn O Mount climb part of the last stage (8) on the 12th. 

We’re aware of rolling road closures and limited access so intend to get in place early on the day (or the night before?) -

Just after general info, tips, dos, don’ts etc - pretty excited! 

cheers all 

nniff 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Pick a spot where you're going to see something - the steeper uphill the better, and the longer the sight lines the better.  The outside of a bend gives the best sight lines.  A downhill stretch is over in a flash.  Dress for the weather and hanging around in it.

Sir Chasm 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Watch it live on itv4 from the comfort of your sofa.

compost 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Don't be this person!  youtube.com/watch?v=lR2E30eb4Ow&

Cairn o Mount is early in the stage so don't expect fireworks. If you can, try to ride up the climb and enjoy the encouragement of the other people :-D  

Toby_W 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes: I was at the top of pork hill today (Rundlestone), red badtri top and it was great to see them all.  Cav looked a bit scuffed.  It was not as busy as last time but being a Monday helped. I cycled up but could have driven, parked and walked but the traffic afterwards was a bit hectic.  Check the approximate times they’ll be coming through and get there half an hour before the early time.

Good luck 

Toby

OP Tobes 06 Sep 2021
In reply to compost:

Aye, I’ve ridden it a few times. Not doing that in front of a crowd, it’s not pretty (my climbing!) 

but all good info, thanks 

OP Tobes 06 Sep 2021
In reply to nniff:

Thanks, just what I was after. Got a few places in mind in those respects

OP Tobes 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Only 30 mins before they’re due? Seems tight, The CoM is closed late the night before I think which will put more pressure on the limited parking below/by the cafe (Claterin Brig) I’d have thought.

might factor in a bit more time - to hike up the hill.

thanks Toby

Toby 

RobAJones 06 Sep 2021
In reply to nniff:

> Pick a spot where you're going to see something - the steeper uphill the better, and the longer the sight lines the better.  

I thought near the top of the Struggle would fit that criteria when it went up there. Unfortunately the weather meant you could barely see twenty yards.  

To Tobes

I wouldn't try to park too near the route. Not sure what your stage is like but I've normally been able to see it at two points, with a bit of cycling in between. Motherby and Penrith is my plan this year. Also the online tracker is useful for giving you an idea if the estimated arrival times are likely to be accurate. 

Post edited at 17:20
 mbh 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

I watched Stage 1 from a spot a few hundred metres from the finish. We had a good view of the riders going uphill away from us and a great, albeit brief, view of the leading pack tearing into view towards and past us, around the bend we were on.

That way we had them in view for a while but also got a good impression of just how fast they are going, that close together. It was very impressive. 

The upper placements of the Strava leader boards heading into town, towards us, are now packed out with a load of riders doing the same speed yesterday. That was 39.7 mph just before the bend we were on.

It was pretty crowded and the atmosphere was great, but cars were going by until no more than 10 minutes before the leaders arrived. All parking nearby was shut down all day, both on-street and the car parks along the route in town.

This was our view just before they arrived:

Post edited at 17:33

OP Tobes 06 Sep 2021
In reply to mbh:

Great pic! Great turn out - the climb at the CoM has very limited parking and places to actually ‘gather’ so I think a pretty early start to get in place might be required - 

cheers 

GrahamD 07 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Anyone else planning on getting to Eiddas Well on Wednesday ?

Yanis Nayu 07 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Don’t blink. 

coinneach 07 Sep 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I rode from home to above Nenthead on Sunday ( Friday’s high point ) took me 2 hours 10 minutes. 1 hour 20 minutes to get home.

Think I’ll just watch them through Alston on Friday!

LastBoyScout 07 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Packet of large coloured chalks for writing general encouragement/your idol's name/political statements* all over the tarmac...

* delete as appropriate.

Fancy dress, if you want to get featured in the highlights program!

Jon Greengrass 08 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Clatterin' brig car park will be closed to non-customers, There is a farmers field opposite Glen Saugh research station that is being opened for parking on the day, details below

https://twitter.com/EconDevAbshire/status/1432742059690106883/photo/1

cornishben 08 Sep 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

yeah I watched it with my kids at the Warren House KOM a little further on.  We got there way earlier than we needed to tbh, ended up sat in the hot sun for ~2hrs overall.  Well worth it for the buzz when they came through though.  The vast majority of folk watching up there had cycled up, which seems by far the best way to get in position without needing to park super early

Sean Kelly 09 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

Looking at the field after stage 5 today and there are some very well known names in this race. Sorry I didn't make the effort to get onto Dartmoor on day 2 but I was out on my bike elsewhere, Exmouth to be precise. It was baking and lots of talent on the beach!!

RobAJones 10 Sep 2021
In reply to Tobes:

> Just after general info, tips, dos, don’ts etc - pretty excited! 

Today a bloke arrived on his bike, with an aluminum step ladder strapped to his back. Initially it caused some amusement, but on reflection not sure it was a completely daft idea. 

OP Tobes 10 Sep 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

cheers, yeah I know the place. The lower car park (the estate one) 'should' be for general use in other times so not sure the Brig has control of who parks there (non customers etc) - I can park at Loch Saugh (i'm a member of BAC) then i'll either bike to the bottom of the CoM and hike/bike up to one of the smaller passing places  - might see you there?!  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...