Tour de France finish Paris - has anyone been?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 23 Apr 2018

Has anyone been? 

Keen to know if it’s really busy etc and worth it

LastBoyScout 23 Apr 2018
In reply to Dr Avinash Aujayeb:

I've been in Paris the morning of it, but had to leave to catch a ferry - I've seen a few stages elsewhere, though.

If you're only ever seen it on tv, there's a lot more going on than just the racing - there's the whole publicity caravan ahead of the riders. If you are near the finish line, there is other entertainment, maybe some junior racing.

if you have the chance, go.

elsewhere 23 Apr 2018

> Has anyone been? 

> Keen to know if it’s really busy etc and worth it

Been twice on the Champs Elysees, once very long ago and once last year.

Really busy but you can be the really annoying tall person - https://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-stool-polypropylene-300mm/5076P  (worth a go!) or find a bit of low curvy railing to stand on which is what we did at the URL below.

https://goo.gl/maps/qDtcVnuZQF22 <-- if you copy that text to the browser it works for Champs Elysees, if I click on the link I get an Italian theme park!

Take some water/snacks as you have to be there an hour or more before the publicity caravan.

I don't know how early you have to be to get a prime spectator position.

For following the sport it is better on TV but definitely worth it to be there for the speed and the spectacle including the publicity caravan.

They go round the circuit 6 or 8 times and on the Champs Elysees  you see them twice (up/down) on each circuit.

When you see the fighter jets circling the peleton is just about  to enter the circuit - keep your eyes/camera on the sky up/down the Champs Elysees at that point . Yes it really is a grand spectacle.

If you can be in Paris that weekend you must go there! 

Post edited at 08:10
 LastBoyScout 23 Apr 2018

Was writing on my mobile earlier, so here's a bit more info.

There's plenty of publicity and souvenir stalls around in the 2-3 days before and they start building all the stands in advance. The day before is when they start closing some bits of road to traffic in order to build the bigger stands, such as Place de la Concorde. On the morning of the event, if you have a bike and are early enough, you can cycle round the course on pretty much closed roads until they really start closing sections to finish the setting up. You'll be doing it with lots of other people and it's a really good atmosphere.

You'll need to get there pretty early to bag a good spot. Try and pick a shady-ish spot where you can see one of the big screens, so you can see the racing and everything else. Take plenty of water/food and sunscreen/waterproofs accordingly.

From experience, try not to be too close to big groups of Dutch supporters - they're very nice, but drunkenly shouted choruses of the same rude song about the national champion gets a bit wearing after the 100th time.

I was on the finish straight in Pau in 2012 and we saw interviews with Chris Boardman, a few junior races, loads of sponsors chucking out keyrings, t-shirts, hats and so on. If you do well, you can get fed (sausage, cakes, sweets, ice creams) and watered (Vittel and others) free!

Not sure how much truth there is in it, but I've been told that in Paris, as it's the end of the Tour, lots of the teams literally bin stuff they don't need anymore, so you could get lucky with all sorts of swag.

RX-78 23 Apr 2018

Been there for the 100th anniversary in 2003 and also the 100th edition in 2013. In both cases i did the prerace laps around the course with 100s of others. In 2013 we watched from the terrasse du bord de l'eau in Jardin des Tuileries. Managed to get seats and pull then right up to the wall to look over. We were near water and loos so perfect!

yorkshireman 23 Apr 2018

I've only watched stages in the mountains so can't help directly but DC Rainmaker has a good article about spectating the event in general here.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/spectating-tour-france.html

There's a specific section lower down about how to get the best out of the Paris finale.

Weekend Punter 23 Apr 2018

Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. I think it's a tick list must but in 2015 I stood literally under the 1km flag and I personally felt like I wasn't actually watching a top tier pro race - it could have been any crit.

Unless you're able to get a viewing place of the finish and the presentation I would opt for a critical mountain stage instead.

While trying to find the presentation area we stumbled across a dejected Merida Team cycling through the back streets. After taking the effort to politely clap their achievements they returned a look that could have only come from a DS saying "Well given the success of that Tour I suggest you cycle home!".

Dr Avinash Aujayeb 24 Apr 2018
In reply to Weekend Punter:

Thanks all, much appreciated

ablackett 25 Apr 2018

Yes, I did it a couple of years ago.  We had seen the start in Yorkshire, then the next year the key mountain stages in the alps, so we felt we had to 'finish the job' and see the end in Paris.  We got a posh hotel near the Champs, lounged around for a couple of days watching the bikes on the telly, went out for dinner in nice restaurants and had a throughly lovely time.  

On the final day we ended up picking a spot which was in sun for most of the day, which was hard going - I think we were there for 5 or 6 hours.  I wouldn't bother with finding a spot with a big screen as nothing really happens on the last days racing and you can watch it on your phone if you are bothered and have a good data plan.

The ladies race came through first and did 5 or 6 laps, I find the minutia of the race the most interesting, how people get punctures fixed, listening to riders shouting, Romain Bardet trying to swap his gloves for an ice cream, that sort of thing.  Then when the men come through it is what you make of it, you can go nuts, get excited shout a lot and have a lovely time or be more low key about it and grumble that they are going too fast to see who is who.  

Watching the riders meander about after the finish and find loved ones, and chat to their team mates was interesting.  I wouldn't do it again, but really glad I have done it.

ablackett 25 Apr 2018

To answer your question - yes it's really busy, we waited 5 or 6 hours to be at the front on a fairly non-desript point on the lap.

Yes it's worth it if you like that sort of thing.

I went in 2016 for the weekend with my grandson who is a cycling fan. Just visiting Paris was a real buzz for us both but seeing the last stage on Sunday was iconic. We arrived early at a viewing point near the last corner and hung on to a good view as the long build up took place and then the final laps leading to the frenetic sprint finish. We got all the atmosphere plus a good screen view of the action. It was awesome. We can thoroughly recommend it. Take food & water and hang on to your spot!

balmybaldwin 25 Apr 2018

I went a couple of times with my dad about 20 years ago. It was great, but we did need to get our spot early and stay there (one stayed while other went to loo/got supplies etc) think we got down to the corner of Place De La Concorde (on the river side next to the Pont de La Concorde )by about 9 am - Its a good spot to watch as you see them twice each lap across the Place and can even see the lead out for the sprint (but not the finish)

I suspect its busier now but there's a great atmosphere and plenty to see

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...