Tour de France 2022 CONTAINS SPOILERS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 03 Jun 2023

Tour de France: Unchained 

Documentary on the journey of eight teams taking part in the world's most challenging Tour de France bike race in 2022.

Sounds good, it's on Netflix.

Pretty sure it will contain spoilers for anybody who doesn't know who won in 2022.

Bobling 04 Jun 2023
In reply to elsewhere:

Ah!  Coming on Thursday!  This was going to be my ironing telly tonight, nevermind next week ; )

Bobling 05 Jun 2023
In reply to Bobling:

I ended up watching this instead - was pretty good, about the (European) Trancontinental Race.  For sure made me want to go and ride! https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81582700

Whilst looking that up I came across a trailer for Unchained (French Title: Au Couer du Peleton) which does indeed look very slick: youtube.com/watch?v=CmJKcVc3-U0&

OP elsewhere 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Just finished watching the series, it was superb.

Got me all excited for TdF 2023.

Bobling 13 Jun 2023
In reply to elsewhere:

Yeah I'm halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it! Thanks for the tip off.

In reply to elsewhere:

I wasn't as impressed. It suffered for not featuring some teams (UAE and Pogacar) so overly focused on others (EF and Groupama FDJ) , I also felt they focused on some odd riders, for example Nielson Powless (Data from Star Trek next Generation? - very strange demeanor) He was the main story on a stage where he went early, couldn't manage it, and ended up coming fourth ?  (maybe for the American audience?)

WVA has complained about how he has been edited and portrayed (manufactured villain, selfish doing his own thing). I suspect he has a point.

We had two episodes on Groupama (Pinot and Gaudu) I enjoyed both but neither rider lit up the tour last year. 

The only genuinely interesting controversial point I thought was when G questioned whether Pidcock should be aloud to go for the Alp D'Huez stage when he was chatting with his DS...would have wanted to see more of that conversation.

Overall I thought it was very vanilla, virtually no insight. Good for the occasional fan, but for real cycling fans who watch all the racing, nothing new at all. An Unexpected Day on Netflix is far better IMO. 

Alun 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I agree, I finished watching it last night and ended up very underwhelmed. I actually ended up fast-forwarding quite a bit. I'm not quite sure who the target audience was.

It suffered badly from not having access to UAE, so Pogacar was just a comedy villain. And it focused too much on FdJ - though I understand why, so can forgive that.

But mostly it suffered from being horrendously overdramatized.

Like painting WvA having a bad day in the mountains as a major disaster, yet Vingegaard was already 2.5 mins ahead and ended up losing no time that stage.

And David Gaudu catching up to G on the ascent to Hautacam ("he's going to get on the podium!" DRAMATIC MUSIC), but G had nearly a minute on him, didn't lose any time, and everyone knew that G would destroy Gaudu in the following time-trial, which he duly did. So G ended up keeping his podium place by a whopping 5 mins. Some drama.

The language was a major issue. Many of the fly-on-the-wall segments had people switching from their natural languages to English clearly for the benefit of the camera (the only exception was French, naturally). It came across as super fake. Dubbing talking heads in a studio is fine, but for fly-on-the-wall segments, subtitles capture the moment much better IMO. And the less said about the overdubbed commentary on the race segments, the better.

Finally, all the studio-based talking heads were clearly recorded weeks after the race, and were reading scripted and dramatised comments in the future tense to give the impression that the they were being interviewed during the race e.g saying "I'm really worried about tomorrow, it's going to be really hard" when 'tomorrow' was actually several weeks ago. Once you twigged this, you didn't really believe a word they were saying (although some of them were actually very good actors - Christoph Roodhooft deserved an Oscar, he hammed things up for Belgium and was the star of the series, for me!).

On the positive side, there were a few amazing moments captured which caught the spirit of the race which is not so often seen. The sight of Fabio Jacobsen struggling to making the time cut on a mountain stage, with all of his teammates waiting for him at the finish line, screaming encouragement at him as the clock ticked down, was amazing. Then seeing him almost completely collapse with exhaustion when he made it, and the tears of relief and concern shed by his teammates, was very emotional.

And several riders came through as proper interesting characters (Jasper Philipsen, the aforementioned Jacobsen, and of course G).

But all in all, a disappointment.

Post edited at 12:17
 GrahamD 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I'm enjoying it.  Yes the choice of back stories seems a bit odd but I guess that depends on what footage they had to work with.  I'm finding I'm liking the alternative perspective this gives. 

yorkshireman 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Alun:

> I agree, I finished watching it last night and ended up very underwhelmed. 

I've watched the first episode and it passed the time nicely but I'm not in a rush to watch the rest. 

However, it wasn't made for cycling fans. Like the F1 Drive to Survive or the tennis one (made by the same people) it's basically a marketing exercise for the sport and made to draw in new fans, so is going to focus on the more basic elements like the team elements and the vagaries of GC and also ramp up the drama and story telling at the expense of deep, nerdy insight and accuracy. 

felt 15 Jun 2023
In reply to elsewhere:

Lanterne Rouge and Benji do a long and insightful reaction vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLqLFBZDWg&t=1s

I should have done what they suggest and watched the series with subtitles and without the dreadful overdubbing. Never occurred to me!

Arms Cliff 15 Jun 2023
In reply to felt:

My Netflix defaulted to subtitles which I was glad of, as I got to find out that lead out man is poisson pilote in French! 😄

I thought it was entertaining, I watch the tour and a few monuments but that’s it, so was interesting to see the DS and other behind the scenes bits. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...