/ Tour de France - contains spoilers

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
elsewhere 06 Jul 2019

The excitement begins!

No Cavendish, Froome, Dumoulin

Supposedly the "highest tour in history" with mountain top finishes, hilly stages and mountain bonus seconds.

Post edited at 11:09
Yanis Nayu 06 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Nice to have a proper stage for the grand depart too.

cragtyke 06 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Wiggo reporting from the back of a motorbike on Eurosport, is he doing the full race.

Glyno 06 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

where are the spoilers?

Yanis Nayu 06 Jul 2019
In reply to Glyno:

van Avemaet in the polka dot jersey. 

elsewhere 06 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

A dream result for Teunissen - beating Sagan on the line - a star is born?

Somebody went down very hard in the last crash. Hope they are ok.

Post edited at 16:27
Mick r 06 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Just watched the highlights and Thomas went down as well after a copper pushed back a section of barrier. I thought no one was allowed inside the barriers at the end of a stage

veteye 07 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Sorry to be a nuisance. I don't watch much TV at all(Maybe once every 10-14 days.). So I don't pay for any type of TV other than the terrestrial license. If I could just get Eurosport and nothing else, economically, I probably would. So most years I ask on here where is the best place to watch the Tour. Please let me know.

Thank you, in anticipation.

Rob

Pedro50 07 Jul 2019
In reply to veteye:

ITV4, live everyday and highlights usually at 7.00 p.m. All good. 

Apart from the interminable adverts.

Post edited at 08:42
veteye 07 Jul 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Thank you.

Joez 07 Jul 2019
In reply to veteye:

You can also get 1 month of eurosport online for £6.99.

Unless you want to watch every second live then the ITV4 highlights are great.

balmybaldwin 07 Jul 2019
In reply to Joez:

yes much better than the euro sports highlights programs

balmybaldwin 07 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

So Movistar riders already a minute adrift!

ralphio 09 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Why does a rider like Julian Alaphillipe not go for GC? Head to head he's stronger than everyone and to my untrained eye it seems he's pretty handy at climbing. 

Marek 09 Jul 2019
In reply to ralphio:

> Why does a rider like Julian Alaphillipe not go for GC? Head to head he's stronger than everyone and to my untrained eye it seems he's pretty handy at climbing. 

It's not that simple - there's a world of difference between blasting up a 500m ramp in rolling countryside and sustained 20km climbs at altitude (which are critical to GC hopes). Different riders have different abilities to produce exceptional power over time (sprinters, puncheurs, rouleurs, climbers...) and for better or worse the big multi-stage races favour climbers (although being a climber is necessary-but-not-sufficient, as Bardet seems to be reminded each year). Perhaps with a different training regime (and a different team) Alaphillipe could become a GC climber, but it would also make him much less likely to win stages like yesterday's.

It's part of what makes road racing fascinating! IMHO of course.

Dave B 09 Jul 2019
In reply to veteye:

If you are time poor, I like the gcn racing highlights on YouTube...

grommet 09 Jul 2019
In reply to Joez:

@bradwiggins posts on instagram are also worth a watch.  Well I think they're hilarious.

GrahamD 10 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Whilst its quiet, does anyone else think the polka dot bike looks particularly naff ? Yellow bikes for yellow jersey teams is bad enough.

Wanderer100 11 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Brilliant stage today. GT and Alaphalippe with an epic tussle at the end of the stage. Bring on the Alps and the Pyrenees. 

GrahamD 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

Good (and a bit unexpected) to see G kick off at the end. Be interesting to see how Movistar ply their leadership from here. Quintana didnt show anything despite having arguably the strongest team into the final climb.

Wanderer100 11 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

I think Thomas has laid down a marker. He's got the legs despite the interruption to his preparation. I think he'll be eyeing up a couple of stage wins on the big mountain days. Team Ineos have looked good so far. Who knows what Movistar have got planned but Landa looks unsure what to do, Quintana doesn't.seem to have the climbing legs he had 3 or 4 years ago and Carapaz isn't even in the team after his marvelous win in the Giro.

elsewhere 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

Always good to see the yellow jersey attack, it got G going.

Ineos seemed to be surprisingly bereft of domestiques relatively early.

balmybaldwin 11 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Movistar with their odd tactics again.... go hard early, use everyone up, and then suffer on final climb leaving sky/ineos with one or 2 domestiques left.

Good day for G, shame alaphilipe couldn't hold on

GrahamD 11 Jul 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Well Movistar set it up for Quintana but he just didn't get out the wheels.

balmybaldwin 11 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

But that's kind of my point, they didn't really set him up. as soon as Valverde ran out of Gas Kwiatofski (sp?) took over the pace and Quintana was isolated. Mind you it was an unusual finish for the tour so may be very different on the big mountains

Mr S. Man 12 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Provided nobody has an accident I'll be happy to predict Thomas -> Pinot -> Uran for GC at this point.

Wanderer100 12 Jul 2019

It was an unusual finish. 25% leading up to the finish line and watching Alaphilippe fall into the barriers after crossing the line and Bardet lose his chain on the line made for compelling viewing. The big mountain days will present a different challenge with more tactics being played out and I would expect Ineos, with Kwiatowski, Pouls, Thomas and Egan to lead the way.

GrahamD 12 Jul 2019

I thought at one point the plan was for Quintana to bridge up to Landa but he didn't have the legs.

Wanderer100 14 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Another great stage yesterday. How unlucky was Thomas with that crash. He did well to get back in the front but wasnt able to respond to the attack by the Frenchmen. Good to see De Gendt hold on for his win and having Alaphallipe back in Yellow makes for a very exciting few days in the mountains later in the week. Today's stage looks tasty as well.

Yanis Nayu 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

Brilliant bike racing. 

GrahamD 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

Yeah, just caught the highlights.  De Gent and Alaphilipe always great for animating things and as Yellow Jersey holder one GC teams are going to have to plan a bit more seriously for.

Hopefully thats the worst of it for G with crashes !

Wilderbeest 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

Must say that I was a little disappointed that they attacked when G crashed.

essentially he was taken out by another rider, had a massive “mechanical” and they took the opportunity to gain time...is that really seen as an OK thing to do?

GrahamD 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wilderbeest:

G isn't in yellow.

Wilderbeest 14 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

So?

Just seemed a bit sneaky. Your main rival for the race is taken out by another rider and you take the opportunity to attack.

elsewhere 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wilderbeest:

Not crashing is part of racing. Fighting to be at the front so the crashes are behind you is part of racing tactics. Everybody in the race knows that so brutal but not at all sneaky.

If it were something external like tacks on the road or tear gas the race is unofficially or officially neutralised. There's also the unwritten rule you don't attack if yellow jersey holder has a mechanical or crashes.

A great day of racing, the bonus seconds on the climbs seem to be livening things up and a very good illustration that this is a team sport the way the Ineos riders expended themselves to help their leader. 

Ineos lack a superdomestique like Thomas and before that Froome. Thomas ends up alone.

Post edited at 11:18
Wilderbeest 14 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Cheers, guess I should just sit back and enjoy De Gent and Alaphilipe’s great riding....really enjoying the race this year.

In Le Tours glorious history of cheating has a rider ever been taken out by a crash “Accidentally” 

elsewhere 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wilderbeest:

> Cheers, guess I should just sit back and enjoy De Gent and Alaphilipe’s great riding....really enjoying the race this year.

That was a fantastic chase and a great result.

I love to see it when two top riders can work together because they have different goals (GC and stage win or sprint points).

Post edited at 11:59
Seymore Butt 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

After seeing the result of the crash, how safe are these carbon framed bikes. It was in pieces after what looked like a pretty innocuous looking tumble. They never said who's bike it was, but it wasn't G's apparently.

Bwox 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Seymore Butt:

>  After seeing the result of the crash, how safe are these carbon framed bikes. It was in pieces after what looked like a pretty innocuous looking tumble.

From the helicopter replay, it looked like one of the following riders (Thomas?) broke his fall by landing full on the bike in question. If that was the case, probably better the bike broke than the rider - presumably it'd have been vice-versa with a metal frame.

Yanis Nayu 14 Jul 2019

They’re fine. I’ve hit huge potholes on mine at racing speeds and it’s been fine. It’s rare that they break like that, but in any case it broke after crashing, rather than broke and then caused a crash. 

petegunn 14 Jul 2019

Didn't wheels go through a change years ago where in a crash they shouldn't break apart and skewer someone? Surely a frame snapping and impaling a rider should fall under the same scrutiny. Hopefully the manufacturer has had a look at it.

Post edited at 22:09
GrahamD 15 Jul 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Who saw that one coming ? Luke Rowe is a bit of the unsung hero both for his work and as a road captain.

At what point, if at all, will they have to take Alaphilipe seriously as a GC contender and is it possible for DQS to rally round as a concerted Gc push ?

Wanderer100 15 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Ineos and Quickstep were immense today and wreaked havoc on the overall standings. Who knows what Alaphilippe will do in the mountains but we know what Thomas can do and he must be favourite to gain the Yellow jersey before tea time on Saturday. 

elsewhere 15 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Alaphilipe - 1 minute ahead of the 2018 winner so he is the man to  beat.What is he like over 3 weeks and in the mountains?

Bwox 14:31 Tue
In reply to elsewhere:

>  What is he like over 3 weeks and in the mountains?

He did fade a bit towards the end of the Tour last year, if memory serves. He'd be a worthy winner if he keeps hold of the yellow to the end, and fully deserves it now, but it seems like the ruthless efficiency of Ineos as a GC-focused team is likely to come up trumps. Not as interesting, but it'd also be nice for Thomas to win again.

Enty 15:35 Tue
In reply to elsewhere:

I thought Millar's commentary yesterday was brilliant.

He basically said that the Pinot group should be very very careful not to burn all their matches trying to get back up to the lead group and not actually make it - and we all know what happened.

E

elsewhere 17:02 Tue
In reply to Enty:

> I thought Millar's commentary yesterday was brilliant.

> He basically said that the Pinot group should be very very careful not to burn all their matches trying to get back up to the lead group and not actually make it - and we all know what happened.

> E

Millar is very insightful very early - he understands what is happening incredibly quickly.

Post edited at 17:13
GrahamD 07:21 Fri
In reply to elsewhere:

Amazing how blase we have become about British cycling success: A British Grand Tour winner in 2011 and a TdF stage winner yesterday. 

GravitySucks 08:15 Fri
In reply to GrahamD:

Froome's win of the Vuelta (in the golden age of drug taking) is a bit like the old climbing joke, Q: "how do you climb an E1 ?  A: Climb a HVS and wait for the new guidebook!"

Andy Hardy 10:07 Fri
JamButty 12:56 Fri
In reply to GravitySucks:

> Froome's win of the Vuelta (in the golden age of drug taking) is a bit like the old climbing joke, Q: "how do you climb an E1 ?  A: Climb a HVS and wait for the new guidebook!"

Ha yep,  my first ever E1 5b is now an E2 5C,  so I'm quite proud...

Should be an interesting couple of days with ITT and Tourmalet.  I really hope Alaphilipe keeps going,  he's great for the event....

Ramblin dave 13:39 Fri
In reply to JamButty:

> Should be an interesting couple of days with ITT and Tourmalet.

Agree!

A question, though - has the tour always tended to be this back-loaded with the GC / Mountain stages? This year I've felt more than usually like I could just tune out the first couple of weeks apart from the odd check on whether anyone's crashed out. Is there usually a bit more shaking-out of GC contenders early on, or is this year totally normal in that respect but I've been distracted by the cricket and hence not as wrapped up as usual in the other aspects of the tour?

Lusk 14:23 Fri
In reply to JamButty:

> Ha yep,  my first ever E1 5b is now an E2 5C,  so I'm quite proud...

> Should be an interesting couple of days with ITT and Tourmalet. 

I hope so.  With all the build up for the Peyresourde, it was a huge anti-climax.

First week or so has been mostly good viewing though.

Wanderer100 14:54 Fri
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Remarkable stats! No one after 2006 gets in the top 100 fastest ascents of Alps D'Huez. 

balmybaldwin 15:11 Fri
In reply to Ramblin dave:

It's pretty normal.... in general there's a weeks worth of flat/hilly stages at the beginning, a few days in the mountains followed by a few "travelling" flat stages to get to one mountain range or the other, then a weeks worth of big mountain stages with the odd sprint stage thrown in before paris.

If anything recent years have moved slightly away from this formula with a bit more front loading, and now we are going back to the more traditional.

It always used to be the case that a bunch of sprinters would abandon on the first mountain day as their only intention was to grab a few stage wins early on

Bwox 17:38 Fri
In reply to JamButty:

>  I really hope Alaphilipe keeps going,  he's great for the event..

He certainly kept going today - bloody hell that was impressive. The Petite Locomotive that could!

Andy Hardy 10:57 Sat
In reply to Wanderer100:

> Remarkable stats! No one after 2006 gets in the top 100 fastest ascents of Alps D'Huez. 

They don't make 'em like that any more 😉

monkey man 14:24 Sat
In reply to Bwox:

You have to worry a bit too impressive. 

Lets see what it has taken out of him for today.

balmybaldwin 15:41 Sat
In reply to elsewhere:

What on earth are Movistar doing today?  doing all the work for Ineos's benefit. Again they are going to leave their leaders Isolated with plenty of Ineos bodies left. Quintana's almost off the back too

balmybaldwin 16:09 Sat
In reply to elsewhere:

Wow quite some fight in the last 2KM.

elsewhere 16:19 Sat
In reply to elsewhere:

Vive la France!

Post edited at 16:20
Dave the Rave 20:10 Sat
In reply to monkey man:

> You have to worry a bit too impressive. 

> Lets see what it has taken out of him for today.

Yup. He’s a bit unbelievable like the French said Froome was.

Hardonicus 00:43 Sun
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Top shifty eyebrows for Emmanuel Macron - credit where it's due...

GrahamD 07:44 Sun

Worrying for Ineos not only because G couldn't go at the end but because their entire team looked below best, despite Poels having liscence to sit back during the first half of the race.

malk 08:49 Sun
In reply to Wanderer100:

> Remarkable stats! No one after 2006 gets in the top 100 fastest ascents of Alps D'Huez. 

that list is from 2013. Quintana did 39:22 in 2015 making him #22

more recent list here: https://ammattipyoraily.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/alpe-dhuez-13-80-km-8-11-1119-m-all-time-top200-list/

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.