thinking of cycling around Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timothy1988 09 Feb 2013
hi ive been thinking about this for a few months now i was thinking about cycling around some of Europe.
I guess i can cycle 30 miles a day without killing myself off too quickly. i come from Pembrokeshire so i was brought up cycling up steep hills and battling the wind and rain. but would be much happier with cursing around on my bike rather than a huge uphill adventure all the time. ill be going for around two months at the moment on my own but hope to recruit a few people.
basically my questions are:
mountain bike with road tyres or road bike?
does anyone know any good routes to take?
cost per day (very rough)?
how easy is it to get away with biving around the place?
also anyone know of anywhere amazing to go i want ideas?

end of the day i want to see some grate sights have an adveture and drink some beer.
all help would be great thanks

mr rob 09 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988:

> mountain bike with road tyres or road bike? Touring Bike

> does anyone know any good routes to take? How far around Europe? Could be upwards of 10000Km

> cost per day (very rough)? Camping? B&B?

> how easy is it to get away with biving around the place? French farmers can be evil

In reply to timothy1988: i got this book, seems helpful but i have not yet tried any routes.
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/432/title/cycle-touring-i...
 earlsdonwhu 09 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988: Check out the Eurovelo routes.

You could go west to east across France, pick up the Danube Cycle trail through S Germany, Austria and Slovakia and on towards the Black Sea.

I did the Source to Bratislava in the summer. Costs are low... bivvy/ wild camping would be easy in many places. It is scenic and flat! Any bike will do.... unicycle to recumbents!

Oh and you will struggle to find a better range of beers en route!
OP timothy1988 09 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988: mant thanks guys youve given me some thing to start planning with, hoping to find some boulding along the was
 Run_Ross_Run 09 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988:

Sleep where u stop. Just tuck yourself out of sight and i doubt you'll have too many problems. French are pretty laid back about this kind of thing ( or they were).

vscott 09 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988:

Great idea. A few suggestions from cycling in Europe -

Take a decent road/touring bike - as long as you're not too heavily laden with stuff around 50 miles per day is easily doable depending on hills.

Don't take too much stuff - easy enough to find/replace things in most of Europe and people generally very happy to help out if you get stuck.

Cost - depends on how you play it, can be done on a very small budget (maybe 10 euros a day) if dossing, carrying own cooking stuff etc, or cost more but be less hard work if stopping in cafes for food etc and campsites/hostels.

There's a network of trans-Europe cycle routes slowly developing - best known is around the North Sea, but others around spain/France med coast... detailed maps are great as they let you avoid the busy main roads and big towns.

register with http://www.warmshowers.org/ - great for places to stay and meeting people.

have fun

Indy 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Darren09: 100% agree none of this "Orff moi laaaand!!" That you get here in the UK
altirando 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Indy: No - they just blast you with a shotgun.
 Mikkel 11 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988:

Take ferry to Esbjerg in Denmark, then cycle up the west coast and over to Frederikshavn where you can take ferry to Göteborg in Sweden, then bike up through Sweden and Norway and turn around at Nordkap and cycle back down through Norway.
Exept for Denmark you can wildcamp anywhere on the route.
 TobyA 11 Feb 2013
In reply to timothy1988:

> I guess i can cycle 30 miles a day without killing myself off too quickly.

That sounds very little, of course you should take it easy and enjoy the sights along the way etc. ('tis a holiday! but I'm sure you'll find that if you have not much else to do all day beside cycle, you'll be doing double that soon enough - at least if you're in flatish terrain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...