swapping a Tiagra chainset for something more compact

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Bond 06 Mar 2023

I'm considering buying a Merlin Malt G2P.  Currently I ride a single speed Ribble Winter Audax for getting around town and have a hybrid that I use for towing a cargo trailer.  Both bikes are pretty old now and I'm fancying a fun fast bike with gears to replace the Ribble but that can also tow the trailer.  

I'm wondering what options there are for replacing the Tiagra chainset with something more compact for towing up Derby's steeper hills.  The 2 options that I have thought of are the GRX RX600 46/30T and a triple with a chainguard on the outer and 46/30 rings.  I'm unsure if either/both of these options would be compatible with the rest of the Tiagra drivetrain/gears or if they would cause a problem.  Is there also a better option full stop?

Also, does anybody have anything good or bad to say about the G2P in general?

Many thanks

Dave

Post edited at 20:48
 Andrew W 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Bond:

I'm using a Miche Graff chainset (46/30) to do exactly this as it has a normal road chainline unlike GRX which might need a grx front derailleur.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/chainsets/products/miche-graff-sub... is where I got it from

OP Dave Bond 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Andrew W:

Thanks, that looks good, especially as it's available in 165cm cranks.

Sorry, my technical  bike knowledge is not what it should be, should this fit the same bottom bracket without any issues?

The Potato 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Bond:

Yes Shimano also uses 24mm axle, that site is out of stock now

OP Dave Bond 06 Mar 2023
In reply to The Potato:

Just noticed the stock level.  Good to know of a definite option though.

Jon Greengrass 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Bond:

How low do you want to go? I'm running a Shimano XT  chainset 40/28T with a XT front derailleur, works fine with my Ultegra shifters.

OP Dave Bond 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

46/30 would be fine I think. 

In reply to Dave Bond:

The chainline on the GRX chainsets is slightly wider than that of the Shimano road groupsets. That means you might well need a new front derailleur as well, though I have read of people getting it to work (but that doesn't necessarily means it works well).

Spa Cycles do "super compact" chainsets which aren't too expensive, but you would have to swap the bottom brackets, and I'm not sure about front derailleur compatibility - Spa would be able to help if you called. The other downside is they don't look as nice as the Shimano ones, but that's subjective.

OP Dave Bond 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

Thanks.

I actually spoke to Spa Cycles earlier today and they thought the best bet was the GRX with a GRX mech.

The other option with them though is stuff the Merlin and buy a Spa Elan with compact chainset.  Very tempting but way more money and in all honesty probably more bike than I need.  Very tempting though!

Post edited at 18:36
 Timy2 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Bond:

Changed all my Tiara chainset, gears etc for a shimano 105 compact, its great, dont think you can get 105s anymore though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...