Suggested ebike for seniors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 07 Aug 2021

An old friend I went to school with, who hasn't ridden a bike for many years is thinking of getting an ebike for going to the shops and generally pottering around. I'm trying to give him some suggestions. These are the criteria I'm suggesting, most of which reflect his age (same as me):

Flat bars (dodgy back)

Step through frame (dodgy hips)

Mudguards

Rack or rack fittings

As light as possible 

Hydraulic disc brakes (arthritic hands)

Budget around £2k

I've been looking at the Orbea MY21 Optima E40. So far have been unable to find out its weight. Also looking at the Isla Bikes eJanis which boasts a 13.5kg weight, good for a non carbon Ebike I reckon, but may be outside his price range at £2700 (battery charger extra!!!).

My friend lives near Milton Keynes - any recommended dealers near there? Or recommended dealers elsewhere who will deliver - my favourite dealer (Biketreks of Ings) doesn't deliver.

RobAJones 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> My friend lives near Milton Keynes - any recommended dealers near there?

Sorry I can't help there, but I think this is the best option. I have bought my bikes via direct sales, but generally enjoy fiddling with them myself, I don't know where to start with the electrics on Mrs J's. 

If he is just using it from home the weight is pretty irrelevant. When we replace Mrs J's the reason I'll be looking for a lighter one for my benefit,  lifting it on and off the rack. Finding a light step through, with a decent range, seems to be a bit problematic at the moment. 

In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I've been looking at the Orbea MY21 Optima E40. So far have been unable to find out its weight. Also looking at the Isla Bikes eJanis which boasts a 13.5kg weight, good for a non carbon Ebike I reckon, but may be outside his price range at £2700 (battery charger extra!!!).

The Orbea comes in at 19 - 20 kg according to a google search.

I have never heard of an ebike being sold without a charger; the correct charger for the setup is pretty critical for ensuring compatibility - common to be a warranty requirement that the correct charger is used. Are you sure it’s not standard? Isla bikes website talks about an “extra” charger as an accessory. The spec on e-bikes often doesn’t mention chargers if there is only one charger available for the bike. Bosch for example do three chargers at least so if a bike has a Bosch motor it usually will be mentioned which one.

Anyway other criteria I think could be worth considering and some thoughts generally:

Swept back bars (Orbea seems to have them anyway) if he’s got back and hip problems could be sensible. He would also benefit from a sit up and beg bike probably.

Removable battery - if it’s to be stored outside or in the heat of summer/cold in winter in a uninsulated shed. Heat and cold are potential battery killers.

Plus sized road tyres would give scope to absorb bumps to provide more comfort for him.

A walk mode depending on how bad his hips/back are makes life easier. (Maybe most/all have this - I really don’t know if all manufacturers do this!).

Personally, I wouldn’t buy any new e-bike online/from a remote dealer unless you can easily either ship the bike back or have a dealer local that can (and will*) deal with it. In my seven or so years experience of riding e-bikes, having a “local” dealer to sort problems is IMO essential - maybe I’ve had more than my fair share of teething problems and motor and battery failures so biased! Besides possible problems/dealing with warranty issues, depending on motor and battery manufacturer there can be regular (ie potentially yearly) software updates for the motor and or battery which has to be done via a dealer. Certainly any warranty work for motor/battery has to be dealt with through a dealer diagnosis of the problem from what I’ve experienced.

* One dealer I bought a bike from was quite clear he would not deal with any e-bikes for warranty work that he did not sell. He said it was not worth the hassle and cost to him. He assured me that it was common practice with a lot of dealers!

Raleigh get a good name I’ve heard and could come in on budget. Moustache have a good rep, but start just over £2k. I’ve ridden the latter and quality of design and frame build is good.

bruxist 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Might one of the Xiaomi ebikes suit him? Pros: light, small, cheap, drum brakes on rear, step-through. Cons: mudguards & rack would need fitting by the dealer (though most will do that sort of thing), battery is small but maybe ok for what you describe.

Some of the higher-spec ones like the C20/Z20 aren't available in the UK, but Halfords have one model, and that would solve the problem of returns/maintenance: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/xiaomi-mi-smart-electric-fold...

OP Rog Wilko 08 Aug 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Thanks.

Im not sure I agree about the weight. A common complaint of folk at my age is their balance has deteriorated, and it’s easy when wheeling the bike to allow the bike to lean away from you and then you lose it and fall on top of the bike. Ive seen it happen. More likely the heavier the bike.

OP Rog Wilko 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks all, some useful grist to the mill.

RobAJones 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I suppose because Mrs J's doesn't have an issue with strength/balance so it's not been an issue for us. Although a lot of motorbiker friends  of a certain age now have concerns about keeping a stationary bike upright. On the positive side a couple of friends with emountain bikes actually prefer the handling/stability compared to their “normal“ one, presumably due to the extra weight lowering the centre of gravity. Mrs J 's has some feature that makes setting off easier, but this is probably standard on new bikes now? If he does find something in the 15/16kg region, let me know,  lifting 20kg (without battery) onto the rack isn't getting any easier. 

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Further food for thought - slow morning with me due to rain!!

Your friend may need to comprise. Step through bikes are generally heavier than their usual equivalent as they need extra strengthening to cope with different forces on the frame.

Have you considered folding bikes which designed differently often get weights at the lighter end? Eovolt for example start at 14kg. I have a friend that got one (albeit a higher spec one coming in at 18kg) but you may have to give up on something like rack, larger wheels, disc brakes, range of gears or what ever.

Folding bikes have lower centre of gravity usually than most ebikes (or so I’ve read somewhere).

Wider bars help generally to reduce the wobble effect when pushing, but if you have to lean over to use both grips are likely to lead to more balance problems. This is partly where a walk mode comes in handy and swept back bars reduce reach across.

Another thing I would actually recommend is a dropper post (reminded by Isla bikes!). Sure many will laugh, but I got one on my hybrid - coming from years of mt biking which I still do it was natural choice.  Mainly have it for off road exploring excursions, but it is actually very handy when I’m lazy/tired for the likes of traffic light stops. Lower before fully stopping so easy to step down with full foot down whilst still on saddle. Start off easy to balance and then raise after underway. No shuffling on/off saddle has to be a bonus to anyone with balance problems?

BTW, I had a closer look at that eJanis bike on Isla’s website and it seems to be a v good spec for such a light bike. They mention droppers, and I note they have small crank lengths which may help your friend with less hip movements. Unless his budget is lower I don’t think the price should put him off looking more closely at this bike.

NorthernGrit 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I know someone with a Kalkhoff and he loves it.

Baz P 11 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The biggest problem your friend is going to have if he is using it for shopping is not getting it stolen. Having had one of mine stolen ( chain cut in 10 seconds) I never leave it out of sight. 
A great shame as nipping to the shops is a popular excuse for purchase.

mbh 11 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Someone I know has one of these step-throughs from Ribble, and is very happy with it. She used to only potter about locally, but now has done a couple of 40-50 mile rides on it.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-e-step-through/ 

Siward 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Baz P:

Tis true. For shopping you're better off converting an old undesirable bike and then carrying the battery with you while you shop!

crayefish 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Suggested ebike for seniors... one with a loud bell!

Darron 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Have a look at Juicy bikes. UK made in the Peak.

OP Rog Wilko 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Darron:

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...