Storing road bike in the conservatory

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 18 Jun 2021

Arg.

My TRP brakes were never great but my rear just completely stopped giving me any power at all about a week ago. I took the opportunity to buy some Juintech hybrid cable/hydro brakes with new discs as a treat for the old girl. Brakes fitted and just tightening up the bolts on the rear disc and I notice the hub seal has gone on the disc side, no doubt liberally spraying disc and pad with grease which would clearly explain the recent disappearance of braking performance at that end of the bike. So far, so irritating.

I store my bike, out of necessity, on a front wheel up wall mount in my conservatory. In the recent hot weather it has been absolutely sweltering in there at points before the temperature dropping steeply after dark. Sounds like bad conditions in which to be a sealed hub unit, doesn't it?

Does anyone have experience with this and know of any tips, complete or marginal, to help lower the stress on those hubs (I'm scared to check my suspension fork)? Would a cover of any kind help? Would it need to be insulated? 

Arg.

Marek 18 Jun 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Interesting thought. I've no direct experience or data, but my gut feel (as a lapsed physicist) is the a black hub sitting outside in the sunshine of a French/Italian summer is going to get far hotter that in a UK conservatory. The air temp in the conservatory is unlikely to get much over 40°C (humidity will make it feel worse) whereas a black body in the Mediterranean sun in still air can get hot enough to burn/blister skin (80°C?).

beardy mike 18 Jun 2021

It's extremely unlikely that grease sprayed over your pads and disc as the grease used is usually very thick, so much so that if you regrease them, you need to wipe the ball bearings clean and scoop the old crud out from the race. Disc brakes fading are usually due to contamination of the pad surface with dirt, cleaning fluids, chain oil etc. and is usually easy to remedy by using isopropyl alcohol to clean the disc and replacing the disc pads. That said, I have a TRP HY/RD and as a solution for braking, it's excellent...

summo 18 Jun 2021

Hydraulic system seals will have a working temperature range they can cope with, where the expansion will be within the range rubber seals can still do their job. Dark metal will get very warm and it's not impossible to have some seepage. A white bed sheet draped over it will cut out the direct sunlight. 

OP MonkeyPuzzle 18 Jun 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

It sounds like I'm wrong in pretty much all my diagnoses, which is pretty usual. There's visible fluid, much less viscous than grease, though bubbling around the end cap of the non-drive side on the rear hub.

I'm overdue a service anyway and a quick read suggests Fulcrum use bargain bucket bearings on this wheelset, so I've taken the opportunity to buy some Enduro bearings to replace them with when I do a full tear down, clean and assemble.

Maybe I hit a oily puddle and didn't notice to explain the lack of power at the rear brake.

I looked at the TRP HY/RD but as they're an open system they're not suitable for bikes stored front wheel up. The Juintech are closed units so fine. Either way, shiny new red brakes is a good result.

beardy mike 18 Jun 2021

I assume you mean cartridge bearings? In which case its even less likely that they would have a liquid oil in them. But yeah - if they are fubared get the best replacements you can find. Usually they will be a standard size and can be replaced with any bearing of an apropriate size and all you have to do is measure the ID, OD and depth. SKF IMO do the best bearings readily available and you could get them just about anywhere, BSL Brammer for example. Haven't had any issues with the HyRd - been using it on my retro MTB for a good year and its great and not noticed issues with it being upside down. The Juintechs are a solid choice too though! Only reason I went for the HyRd is because I found a caliper on fleabay for cheap...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...