Stinky helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 04 Oct 2020

Fnarr Fnarr!!

Yeah. My bike helmet is a bit manky. The internal spongy bits and cradle are a bit stinky from sweat. Any tips for reducing this stink?

Thanks,

BB

im off 04 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Get new spongy bits.

OP bouldery bits 04 Oct 2020
In reply to im off:

Oh? Is that a thing? Cool!

climbingpixie 04 Oct 2020

Seems a bit obvious but wash it? You might be able to remove the spongy bits and stick them in the machine but I'd be tempted to just stick the whole thing in the sink with hot water and some kind of soap product and give it a decent scrub.

OP bouldery bits 04 Oct 2020
In reply to climbingpixie:

Probably what I'll do! I was wondering if there were any secret pro tips put there. Like, cover it in talc powder or put it in the fridge or repeat the sacred incantation. 

Probably just fairy liquid and warm water. 

Post edited at 23:44
 coinneach 05 Oct 2020

Short ( 15 mins ) cycle in the washing machine works for mine.

felt 05 Oct 2020
In reply to coinneach:

You must have some great bike-handling skills.

climbingpixie 05 Oct 2020

Oh, you've got to do the incantation as well, obvs. That goes without saying!

Otherwise, Fairy Liquid or shampoo or laundry detergent would all work. I'd probably use shampoo because I like the smell. Really work it into the smelly bits, rinse and repeat and let it air dry somewhere warm.

webbo 05 Oct 2020

Wash both helmets in the shower after your ride.

nniff 05 Oct 2020

The pads in my helmet don't remove easily.  Sink of hot water with some clothes wash stuff in it - put helmet in, with a frying pan on top to keep it submerged.  Soak for an hour or so, and give the straps and pads a good rub.  Rinse and dry

Jon Greengrass 05 Oct 2020

Ride in the rain more often.

Enty 05 Oct 2020

I use Ekoi helmets and you can buy new sponge kits for 9€. My experience is that once they are so minging that the smell of the sweat running down your nose is making you sick, there's nothing you can do and no amount of washing will bring it back.

E

Post edited at 10:03

Yep, helmet should be safe enough in washing up liquid (my pads are velcro fixed so get removed and soaked) but I would advise against washing the bike with it as it contains salt.  

That pink stuff is great on the bike. Other cleaning products of different colours are available...

daWalt 05 Oct 2020

I have managed to ruin a set of foam inserts by putting them in the washing machine. I don't know if it was the machine or the detergent, but they came appart at the seams.

I'd suggest hand wash. 

LastBoyScout 05 Oct 2020

I once took the straps out of my helmet after a week of cycling in hot conditions and put them through the washing machine with the rest of my kit.

Got the encrusted sweat out of them, but was a bugger to re-thread them!

Post edited at 10:59
 wercat 05 Oct 2020
In reply to daWalt:

vinegar is a good treatment before handwashing - it is a bit hostile to the infestations that cause the stink

Gone for good 05 Oct 2020

I wear a cycling cap under the helmet. Keeps the sweat from going into my eyes and keeps the helmet foam protection clean, to a certain extent. 

Cobra_Head 05 Oct 2020

Set fire to it.

blurty 05 Oct 2020

This stuff works (on rockboots too!)

http://www.sinkthestink.com/

ChrisBrooke 05 Oct 2020
 im off 05 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Which helmet are you now referring to. You would probably have bigger concerns than any smells so yeah.....think this could work.

Cobra_Head 05 Oct 2020
In reply to im off:

tjdodd 05 Oct 2020
In reply to coinneach:

> Short ( 15 mins ) cycle in the washing machine works for mine.

How big is your washing machine?  I assume it is like the wall of death.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...