Sticky brake hoods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 12 Sep 2022

The rubber brake hood covers on my bike are getting a bit sticky. I presume that the rubber is starting to perish, so I want to fix it. But my polymer chemistry is not what it once was, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

I can't get replacements as the brakes are ten or eleven years old and discontinued 

Any ideas?

Gte

ablackett 12 Sep 2022
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Some suggestions here, from gluing a pair of rubber gloves on them to rubbing alcohol and baby powder!

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1153274-rubber-brake-hoods-sti...

Strachan 12 Sep 2022

Not sure if this will work (and, annoyingly, my polymer chemistry is meant to be pretty good), but when I accidentally swelled the rubber of my hoods spraying GT85 a bit too liberally into the shifter I removed them and stuck them in the oven at 80 degC for 20 mins or so, which largely resolved the issue. Might be that some volatile component is responsible for the stickiness (of external or internal origin) and that a similar strategy might work. Alternatively you can buy replacement hoods.

GrahamD 12 Sep 2022

I presume you've done the obvious and given them a good hot soapy water wash?

In reply to Strachan:

Sadly can't buy replacements, so much for sustainability. 

Not sure I can guarantee that only can keep an oven at 80C either. 

In the absence of some "paint it with *sulphogo*" or similar chemical wizardry,I'll  give the talc option a go.

Thanks all 

Toby_W 13 Sep 2022

you can get replacements, search rubber brake hoods on eBay.

Cheers

Toby

Dave B 13 Sep 2022

Which brakes are they?

nniff 13 Sep 2022

As above, unless they're seriously vintage there are options for most types

crayefish 13 Sep 2022

What about cockpit spray?  That stuff is designed to superficially restore plastic/rubber trim.  If it doesn't work, it has a great double use to coat the frame with after cleaning so that diet doesn't stick.  I do all my frames this way.

Dave B 13 Sep 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I should stop using cockpit spray if you're putting on weight. 

Post edited at 15:35
 crayefish 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Dave B:

Doh!  I guess that explains why my dirt is sticking and the weight isn't dropping...

JX0 14 Sep 2022

Aliexpress had (official-looking!) Tiagra 4500 hoods a few weeks ago when I had the same issue. I think that era will be ok to find replacements for on eBay/Aliexpress  but further back you might struggle. 
Other option is to upgrade your shifters! Or pillage better hoods from spares/repairs model  on eBay and try and resell on for sustainability and to get some money back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...