SRAM 11x cassette spacing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 18 Mar 2021

After spending too much time on google, and finding only SRAM/Shimano comaprisons, I'll try the all knowing hive mind.

Is there any difference in spacing between the MTB and road SRAM 11x cassettes?

I tried a used 11 cassette from a mtb wheelset on my cyclocross bike, and cannot get the derailleur aligned so that the chain is not jumping somewhere in the range.

I know that the road and mtb shifters work only with the corresponding derailleurs, as they take in different lengths per step, but AFAIK the end result should be the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks, CB

LastBoyScout 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

In typically UKC style, I'm going to say that I've previously mixed SRAM and Shimano cassettes on road and mtb without any issues, but only with 9-speed - I put the SRAM cassette off my MTB (XT shifters) on my road bike (Ultegra shifters) for a very hilly event.

I was under the impression that at 11 speed, the spacing between Campag and Shimano cassettes is exactly the same (or as near as makes no odds) and they are interchangable (I've yet to try it personally), so I don't see why SRAM would be any different.

wilkie14c 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

Some cheap digital callipers can be your friend here, you should measure the ‘cog’ spacing and compare the 2 cassettes. Also measure the back of the cassette with a straight edge and feeler gauges to see if you need a spacer or not. see this video from 11 minutes:

youtube.com/watch?v=V-MjUp7EVjQ&

artif 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

It may be the rear mech, is it a long cage? 

cb294 18 Mar 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

That would be cheating!

The real problem is that the two bikes are parked 500km apart. I will measure mine here and teh other one next time I visit my family, but had hoped to get an answer so I could order the proper cassette if required, and have it delivered by next week!

CB

cb294 18 Mar 2021
In reply to artif:

The cage does not seem to be the problem, the biggest two (36 and 42 teeth) sprockets shift easily and precisely, the chain starts jumping around the fourth to second smallest ones. The smallest is fine again. The only hypothesis I have for the smallest one working again is that the derailleur actually tries to move the chain lower as well (based on cable tension) but is stopped by the stopper screw, which would be consistent with the spacing being slightly off.

CB

cb294 18 Mar 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Shimano 11x  with SRAM shifters is no issue, that is what I put on my son's bike and it works a treat. In the process I swapped around some parts between several bikes. My son's cyclocross bike and my wife's MTB are running well, but I FUBARed my cyclocross bike.......

CB

ro8x 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

I have used mob/road without issue but I checked in with a friend who is a bike mechanic and they said its fine, spacing is the same on 11x road & MTB.

artif 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

Are the sprockets worn or the chain stretched?

crayefish 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

Sounds a bit like your derailleur could be bent slightly, or at least the cage.  If you follow the Shimano setup procedure fully to align the 1st and last gear with the stops, and the shift point with the cable adjuster, but it still goes funny just in one part of the range, the symptoms can be as described and there isn't much else that can go wrong I think, other than guide wheel to sprocket spacing possibly.

I had it before after a crash, and it took a bit of trial and error to realign everything so it shifted smoothly across the range.

Did you have a crash on the bike perhaps?  Otherwise, I could only think of some wear, crud or damage in the cassette which has caused some inconsistent gear spacing or alignment.

cb294 18 Mar 2021
In reply to ro8x:

Thanks! Need to look elsewhere, then.

CB

cb294 18 Mar 2021
In reply to artif:

Chain is new, sprockets almost new, no discernable wear. Proper mystery...

CB

cb294 18 Mar 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Not really, but will check once I get my work stand back to where the bike is....

Thanks,

CB

artif 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

Stiff chain link? 

GerM 18 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

Is the cable routed and clamped in the correct position at the pinch bolt on the derailleur? Any wierdness here can affect the pull ratio.

cb294 19 Mar 2021
In reply to artif:

No, new chain and I checked the link. CB

cb294 19 Mar 2021
In reply to GerM and the thread:

Unlikely, worked nicely with the old cassette...

It really is a mystery!

Anyway, thanks for all the comments!

CB

GrahamD 19 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

I suppose an obvious question ( and not knowing that particular cassette), has the cassette itself been put together properly with all the necessary spacers between cogs?

cb294 19 Mar 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Looks fine by eye. I will take my calipers and make sure on the weekend....

CB

JimR 19 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

Check hanger isn't bent. That's more likely than bent cage as its designed to be a sacrificial bender to prevent damage to derailleur. I usually keep a spare hanger partic for gravel bike as it tends to get hammered more!

cb294 19 Mar 2021
In reply to JimR:

I never  had a crash, and the problems appeared as soon as I changed the cassette, so probably related to something there.

Thanks,

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...