Spin bike computer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnO1978 20 Jan 2021

Due to a variety of reasons (Lockdown, increased work load and poor weather) I have found myself using the spin bike at home more and more. The bike although not one of the more premium brands is great in how it is set up however the computer is awful and temperamental at the best of times. 

What options have other people use to record their speed, cadence, distance etc whilst using their spin bike? I dont really want to purchase a turbo trainer  as I am quite happy with the spin bike itself. 

Thanks 

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

Hmm. On a spin bike speed and distance are zero, so that's easy. The only meaningful stats are cadence and resistance and the latter is not going to be measured by any general purpose cycling computer unless you have a power meter (I'm guessing not). So your best bet is probably to get a cheapo wired unit from say Cateye, put the speed sensor on the crank (instead of on the wheel) and you'll get something like 'distance/speed'. It'll be very low though - it'll be like you are in 1:1 gearing going up a steep hill, but at least it'll be a number you can record alongside the spin bike resistance setting (which you'll have to record manually).

OP JohnO1978 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

Thanks bud, will take a look at that option. Sounds relatively straight forward.

NorthernGrit 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

Speed and distance will be meaningless.

A power meter of some kind might be the gold standard but might be difficult to integrate and calibrate with a spin bike and will be pretty expensive.

Maybe a heart rate and cadence monitor might be better. Depends what you want to do/achieve really.

Post edited at 16:12
OP JohnO1978 20 Jan 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Just record performance of the workout/session so that I can see improvement etc. 

Many thanks.

GrahamD 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

MrsD got some power meter pedals from Assiomo for her road rides which she really rates.

Dave B 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

A magene wireless cadence sensor on the cranks, comnect to an app of some kind... Or a bike computer / watch. 

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> MrsD got some power meter pedals from Assiomo for her road rides which she really rates.

Good indeed, but I'm not sure the OP was looking to spend that sort of money (£400+ post-brexit I'm guessing).

GrahamD 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

She didn't say how much they cost her 😳

Dave Todd 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

I have a Cateye Strada Double Wireless on my road bike which is currently sitting on a turbo trainer in the garage (and being used plenty - given the weather and the lockdown)  I have the speed/distance sensor on the rear wheel (as that's the one revolving!)  I tend to set the display to show speed and cadence as that's how I monitor my level of effort.  Works well for me!

I have the turbo fixed at maximum resistance, and use the gears to vary the effort required.

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> She didn't say how much they cost her 😳

Oops.Sorry. Good thing I didn't mention the price of the double-sided option.

GrahamD 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

> Oops.Sorry. Good thing I didn't mention the price of the double-sided option.

😬

OP JohnO1978 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Dave B:

How are these? Quite a cheap option to try.

turtlespit 21 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

I recently listened to a podcast where a developer launched a spinning cadence app for iOS and Android - https://montemagno.com/introducing-my-cadence-for-ios-a-simple-cadence-sens...

The app is free, but you'll need to purchase a bluetooth cadence sensor to connect to the bike.  I'm not into spinning so I'm not across all the details - hopefully the above blog is enough to point you in the right direction.

Marek 21 Jan 2021
In reply to turtlespit:

> The app is free, but you'll need to purchase a bluetooth cadence sensor...

You'd think they'd just use the camera on the phone to measure the cadence: everyone's face bob's up and down a bit on each pedal stroke. Or even mount the phone on the handlebars and use the accelerometers to detect the side-to-side movement (even simpler). Unless they're just try to sell a proprietary cadence sensor?

Dave B 22 Jan 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

I got one for about £12. They seem to be more now...  :/ about £14 on fleabay. About £5 on wish  guys v enough to go on my £1000 bike, but not good enough to go on the £2000 bike  

The app before should do the business. 

As an alternative, the wahoo tickr PLUS HR monitors do cadence ftom the chest strap

Post edited at 21:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...