Specialized click

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fruit 02 Aug 2020

I’ve got a Specialized Roubaix that has developed an extra click (ie not the cassette) when I freewheel, seems linked to rear wheel revolutions and is worse if I weight the left pedal while freewheeling.

it doesn’t happen at slow speed but quite pronounced above around 15mph

The bike has done only around 3-500miles (I’ve never really gelled with it and although I keep trying, I go back to my old Principia).

Any ideas what it might be?
cheers.

dunc56 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Has someone sneaked bread tags on your wheel ?

OP Fruit 03 Aug 2020
In reply to dunc56:

I’ve checked for lolly sticks too!

kathrync 03 Aug 2020
In reply to dunc56:

> Has someone sneaked bread tags on your wheel ?

Do you even get bread tags any more??!

abr1966 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

First base for me would be to check the spoke tensions on each individual spoke....given your description. Does it make the same noise if you put the bike on a stand and hand pedal the cranks?

OP Fruit 03 Aug 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Hi, this seems to be where I’m headed, although the spokes seem well tensioned, they make a similar click when I ‘squeeze ‘ them. I’m also thinking the black finish on the spokes doesn’t help. Next plan, mini grease gun at each intersection. It typically only happens at higher speed and when loaded ie when I’m on the bike.

thanks for the input

Post edited at 10:55
 abr1966 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Any joy with the click?

dovebiker 05 Aug 2020

If using tubes, check that the tyre valve lock-ring is screwed down or you might have unthreaded valve   (wrap of electrical tape) - every time the tyre reaches the bottom, the tyre distorts and causes the valve to 'click' as it touches the valve hole.

Not uncommon (ex bike-mechanic)

OP Fruit 05 Aug 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Still searching, although going to explore the valve click mention above, it’s a new one on me, but I’ve used unthreaded valves on latex tubes for years. I’ll try it tomorrow and come back.

OP Fruit 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Grease on left side didn’t work.

OP Fruit 06 Aug 2020
In reply to dovebiker:

This would happen when pedalling too, I’d guess? The click that’s driving me mad is a freewheeling thing. Anyway I’ll get out for a ride tomorrow and try it. Cheers

Kimono 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

open up the free hub....maybe needs a clean and lube, maybe one of the pawls is f@cked

OP Fruit 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Kimono:

That’s my fear, confirming all my prejudices about Shimano, started after about 200miles, I miss Campag

Dave Cundy 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

From what you've said, the spokes do actually rest on their neighbours at cross-over points.  I sussed this out as a problems after a few years of clicks.  Make sure they're free of dirt and grease them.

If that doesn't eliminate the clicks, maybe look at  cleaning the QRs and their contact points.

nniff 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Just a theory - don't notice it when you're pedaling and driving the right-hand side of the wheel.  Do notice it when you're freewheeling a weighting the left hand side.  Have you got a burr on one side of a rim?  Try flicking the cantilever wotsit on the back brake out and see if it disappears.  If it does - wipe a finger around each rim and see if you can feel anything.  If you can't, just back the brakes off a touch and see if that fixes it.  A quick scrub with a bit of fine emery paper will get rid of a little ding

OP Fruit 06 Aug 2020
In reply to nniff:

Cheers for that, but disk brake, I’ll look at the disk though. I did try feathering the brake to see if it changed but it didn’t, but worth a careful run round with a finger. 

OP Fruit 07 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Hi,

thanks all for your input. After liberal application of grease, cleaning the rear disk and changing the rear tube I’ve narrowed it down to the freewheel. 
dismantling job for the weekend.

thanks again

nniff 07 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Final thought before you do that - the front mech cable isn't really close to the tyre is it?

AndyC 07 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Hope you're right! Seems odd to me that it can be the freewheel if it's worse when weighted on one side and also only occurs at speed. Looking forward to hearing the outcome!

OP Fruit 08 Aug 2020
In reply to AndyC:

Doesn’t make much sense to me but I’m running out of options. Plus yesterday tried rather undignified Standing fast back Pedal and got the  click in line with pedal rotation so it’s in the drive not the wheel. 

I took the free hub off an it looks fine. Replaced and the click is still there.

argh!!!!

looking at the rear mech, the jockey wheels are clean and clear, there is a clutch on the mech, new one on me on a road bike, but can’t see how that would impact. As it’s freewheel related it can’t be these.

only other thought is a faulty wheel bearing.
I’m stumped.

cheers all

OP Fruit 08 Aug 2020
In reply to nniff:

I’ll have another look, cheers.

im beginning to suspect it’s just haunted! ;-/

abr1966 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Feel for you mate...these things are a pain!!!

Definitely sounds drive train to me! As a remote possibility have you checked the frame over in really fine detail....especially rear dropouts, fork crown and top of the seat tube?

AndyC 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

> im beginning to suspect it’s just haunted! ;-/

Definitely a ghost in the machine if it's moved from the wheel while freewheeling to the drive train while back-pedaling!

If it's in time with the pedal rotation then I'd suspect undetectable play in the crank arm - remove, clean the splines until surgically clean, lightly grease and reattach the crank arm, then torque to the recommended maximum using a torque wrench. 

I get this type of click nearly all the time on my FSA crankset, I can cure it for a couple of days doing the above but it always comes back. I mostly just live with it now.

Yanis Nayu 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

I've had a similar thing where it turned out to be the chain's quick link jumping when it hit the cassette - turns out it didn't match the chain.  Worth putting it on a stand and turning the crank slowly and watching the chain passing over the cassette etc (actually I twigged what was going on when I had it on a turbo and the resistance helped bring it to light).

nniff 10 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

If it's in time with pedal rotation pedalling backwards, then it's not the freehub because the speed that that spins backwards will vary with the gear that it's in if you're back-pedalling.  So, it's something to do with the crank/pedals - or, my favorite mystery click generator, - the seat post - which is a solid thing in a frame that flexes a bit.  Take it out, clean it - put it back, with a dollop of sticky stuff if it's carbon to carbon or a fine wipe of grease if alloy to alloy

Dave Cundy 10 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Have you checked the bolts securing the chain rings?  I once tracked down a once per rev click to a slightly loose chainring bolt.

nniff 10 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

If it were a wheel bearing, you;'d hear it when you're pedalling - more so, because everything else should be quiet.  Seat post......

OP Fruit 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Fruit:

Ok, it was definitely something in the free hub, I been able to locate it on a stand, I’ve taken it apart and all looks ok. I’ve finally given in and taken it back to Specialized dealer who tell me it’s fixed, but can’t tell how :-D I’m hoping to try it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...