Sean Kelly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 01 Sep 2022

Sean Kelly cyclist, not Sean Kelly of this parish.

Can anyone make any sense of his so-called commentary?

DaveHK 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ah now Ted.

DaveHK 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

We all know that Kelly's commentary isn't like that of a pro commentator or even like that of a slick recent ex-racer like Millar.

But that's not the point. 

Kelly is living history, a link with a bygone era, one of the greatest riders of all time and (possibly) the last of the flahutes. Its a privilege to listen to his monosyllables.

OP Rog Wilko 01 Sep 2022
In reply to DaveHK:> 

> Kelly is living history, a link with a bygone era, one of the greatest riders of all time and (possibly) the last of the flahutes. Its a privilege to listen to his monosyllables.

I know he was a great rider but that doesn’t make him a great communicator. 

Marek 01 Sep 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Kelly is living history, a link with a bygone era, ...

Listening to him reminds me of listening to an old boring uni lecturer giving the same talk he's given for 20 years and doesn't even need to engage brain. Just an seeming endless monotone rendition of pretty much the same thing he said yesterday.

On the other hand I *much* prefer his laid back style to the overexcited-too-much-red-bull-wow-it's-absolutely-the-best-race-ever style of (I think) Rob Hatch. At least you can tune out Sean Kelly.

DaveHK 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> > 

> I know he was a great rider but that doesn’t make him a great communicator. 

I never said it did, I said that wasn't the point. 

abr1966 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's not the best for sure....especially with Carlton gibbering on next to him....I'm not a fan of Miller though either. 

I had a picture of Sean Kelly on my wall as a kid....still have a great admiration for him which helps me with tolerating the commentary sometimes....I struggle to catch what he says sometimes though!

Dark-Cloud 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

He's just not relevant any more in the modern peloton and has little to add that give any real insight apart from suffering, after this classic i remember on Eurosport i haven't listened to him for years.

Maybe not verbatim but you get the idea

Co Commentator: Now then Sean, i see that some riders are wearing gloves, some are not, is that a grip thing or to keep cool or just a personal preference thing, surely if they crash they are going to get injured, it would be interesting to hear your take on that?

Sean: Erm well yes, i would think that's erm, a grip thing but for sure its also to erm, keep cool but erm, if they crash for sure they might get erm, injured but ultimately its erm, a personal preference thing for sure.

Co Commentator: Thanks Sean

Me: Shakes head turns TV to ITV4

DaveHK 02 Sep 2022
In reply to abr1966:

> It's not the best for sure....especially with Carlton gibbering on next to him....

I think the fact that he's paired with a grade A gibbering idiot much of the time is part of the problem. I've heard him with other commentators and he's better then.

Rip van Winkle 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Oh, so it's not just me then!

In reply to DaveHK:

> I think the fact that he's paired with a grade A gibbering idiot much of the time is part of the problem. I've heard him with other commentators and he's better then.

I think this is true. When I first encountered him, with a different co-host, I thought him pretty good but recently he seems to be terrible (unless it's an age decline thing)

DaveHK 02 Sep 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> I think this is true. When I first encountered him, with a different co-host, I thought him pretty good but recently he seems to be terrible (unless it's an age decline thing)

Years ago I had one of those DVDs with a summary of that year's TdF. Kelly narrated the main section and it was absolutely dire. At the end though there was a section of him sitting outside a cafe with a glass of wine just talking about the tour in general and it was really good.

GrahamD 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm not sure whether he's supposed to be commentator or pundit - either way he's pretty mediocre.  Just not as bad as Hatch or Kirby next to him with their constant attempts to be funny.

I do like the studio team, though.  I think they do provide some genuine insights.

JB 02 Sep 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Can't comment on SK (presume he is on Eurosport?) but Millar's commentary seems to revolve mostly around the use of the likes of:

"he's gone full gas"

"he's pressed the nitro button there"

I really like the Gary Imlach / Chris Boardman combo...

GrahamD 02 Sep 2022
In reply to JB:

SK et al are on the Quest freeview highlights as well.

Gary Imlach is really doing an anchor role, isn't he, and Boardman is mostly doing in studio analysis which is all a bit different to real time commentary.

misterb 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

20,30,20,30,20,30, a number of riders, a number of kilometres, a number of days, a number of teams, infernal pace, infernal pace, fatigue, fatigue, fatigue, a real fast pace, a real strong pace, a real strong ride etc etc etc 

As mentioned above he just repeats(badly) what the other commentators have said it set him up to say, it's laughable really

Doesn't even seen to know much about the peloton, riders or teams either 

Just painful!!!!!!!

OP Rog Wilko 03 Sep 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

> I do like the studio team, though.  I think they do provide some genuine insights.

agree with that, though it’s a shame it’s run in parallel with the daily fashion show that is Orla “legs”, which can be a bit distracting.

mind you, Orla is quite good

OP Rog Wilko 03 Sep 2022
In reply to JB:

You’ve forgotten dream scenario. But I can forgive him, for his clear unhesitating diction, his simple explanations and his unrivalled knowledge of peloton politics 

OP Rog Wilko 03 Sep 2022
In reply to misterb:

You mean kilomaiters I think.

OP Rog Wilko 03 Sep 2022
In reply to JB:

I think the Millar/Boulting combo works really well, too. I think it’s a triumph for Ned that he’s transformed himself from a complete ignoramus about cycling into someone with a really encyclopaedic knowledge of teams and past editions of the Tour.

InC 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The tone of his voice is guaranteed to send me to sleep even if I'm completely wired after drinking a double expresso

In reply to InC:

He's the boring uncle in Derry girls!

nufkin 07 Sep 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

> I do like the studio team, though.  I think they do provide some genuine insights.

The best part of the race (commentary-wise) is when Dan, Robbie and Adam are subbing while everyone else has lunch

Enty 07 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well..........yes........

E

In reply to Rog Wilko:

I don’t know what everyone wants from cycling commentary.

At the end of the day it’s a numbers game.

If you’re climbing it’s w/kg, sprinting it’s w, TTing is w/Cda. There’s a tiny bit of tactics thrown in too.

As long as someone can name the riders for me and point out the pretty scenery I’m happy. Anything else is just filler unless they’re talking numbers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...