RP23 Fox float shock help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 04 Nov 2019

Anyone know anything about shocks....every time I put air in it and sit on it...it totally bottoms out...now either I'm eating far too many pies, I'm doing something wrong or the shock has a problem!

It will pump up to 180 psi but no further (not sure if this has anything to do with the problem) I remove the pump and if I sit on it, well it bottoms outs, I re-attach the pump and its back to like 50 psi again. I've submerged it in water and no leak from what I've seen...any help would be appreciated

Is this easily fixable, quite happy to have a go myself or send it off. The bike was bought in 2010 and in all honestly I can say its not been used a massive amount due to having little people.

Any ideas people?

Lynsey.

Nempnett Thrubwell 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Possible faulty valve. - If you can - depending on your set-up - leave the pump attached to maintain the seal and then when you sit on it - see if it bottoms out straight away.

Another quick cheap test to save you removing the old valve is buy a valve extension - circa 2 quid. and screw it directly onto the existing valve - again depending on where the valve and suspension arm align this may or not be possible - again see if the leaking continues. 

Mr Moac 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

I had the same problem. All down to wear and tear due to ageing. The internal seals will be worn out and possible piston surface scoring. It can be refurbished but no guarantee it won't reoccur. I replaced mine with a Rockshox. Cheaper than a Fox float but just as good.

summo 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Costs around £100 for full service, new seals etc.. 

ChrisJD 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Ever been serviced since 2010?

Probably all bone dry in there, no oil left (yes there is oil inside an air shock) and seals blown/degraded.  They need regular servicing.

OP Lynsety 04 Nov 2019

Honest answer...err no it's not been serviced since 2010. 

Just been watching some videos on you tube...it doesn't look too hard....is it worth me having a go?

Oli 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

A simple air can service is very straightforward to do. You can get a kit from tftuned or similar and do it in about 20 minutes. 

ChrisJD 05 Nov 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

It probably just needs some TLC then.  I'm sure you'll be fine doing your own air can service.

OP Lynsety 07 Nov 2019

Yeah fingers crossed. I'll give it a go then anyway.

Thanks everybody.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...