Roof Rack Options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Am fed up with having to buy new roof bars and fittings when I change my car... seen quite a few folk using these... anyone on here got any experience with them?

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/car-racks/products/talon

Thanks

nniff 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Best invention ever.  A minute to fit, 10 seconds to remove, and about a minute to put the bike on.  Fits on my estate car with a glass roof and on my wife's BMW Z4 - fork on the roof, rear wheel on the boot. 

You need to tie one crank to a chain stay so that the crank doesn't turn and let a pedal touch the roof (I use a short length of old inner tube for the purpose).  Fits pretty much any car that does not have a canvas or a ridged roof.  Stable at speeds faster than the law allows.  

I have a cable lock for it - a padlock at one end goes on the QR that holds the fork.  The other end of the cable has a plate that you shut behind the car door.

I have a shed full of old roof racks and bike racks that cost far more than the Seasucker.  It also travels, so on hols I can ride out to meet the family somewhere and get a lift back.  For a while I had a padded bike bag that would fold up.  That got folded, put in the hire car boot, luggage on top and the bike went on the roof on the Seasucker.

In reply to nniff:

... many thanks for the feedback... I'd pretty much made up my mind to give the Seasucker a go; will definitely do so now... out of interest; where did you get yours from?

krikoman 09 Feb 2020

Looks like a great idea, you could make your own with two of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triple-cup-suction-lifter/7912P?tc=NT6&ds_ki...

LastBoyScout 09 Feb 2020

Worth looking at Whispbar through bars - foot packs are only £25 when you change car. I need bars to fit 2 cars and they were massively cheaper then Thule to do that.

I'm still sceptical about SeaSuckers and in any case I need bars for kayaks and surf boards.

Www.roofbox.co.uk

Jabbott 10 Feb 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Another vote for Whispbars, have two sets of feet any they work great with both. They are, as the name implies, really quiet & fuel efficient too. 

I'm not sure I'd trust stuff stuck my roof with suction cups when travelling at motorway speeds!

Cheers,
Jamie

thepodge 10 Feb 2020

I have the Rockbros version of the Seasucker and have zero complaints. 

Its a bit of a faff mounting it every time but I have the 3 bike version so need to do 7 suckers each time.

nniff 10 Feb 2020

I can't remember where I got mine - on-line somewhere.  It is possible that mine may have traveled at considerably faster than the law allows, both in a straight line and around bends.  With a glass roof, you can see the bike - nary a wobble.  On a folding metal roof, the panels take a while to settle down to the new forces and creak for a few miles until they have sorted out the seals.

You'll not pull one of the suckers away from the roof without lifting an edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...