Romans and revivers / Moffat ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 29 Apr 2023

Has anybody done the Romans and reivers ? Doing it with an elderly relative over two days . Our rough plan is two cars , one in Ae one dropped in Hawick . Over night in Moffat with Beer /curry .  Any comments on the route ? Any pub recommendations in Moffat ? 
ta 

65 29 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123:

For food I recommend booking Claudio’s. Really good Italian restaurant. The nearby pub at the bottom of the market square is ok, can’t recall the name (Might be the black bull).

petegunn 29 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123:

Had a friend do it a few days ago, they did a slightly longer first day from Ae to Eskdalemuir (approx. 33 miles). Second day being only 25 miles to Hawick.

The first day was on better forest tracks, day 2 had more open fields and less tracks so he was glad they did the extra miles on day one. Both days taking about 4hrs (moving time).

Theres Annandale Cycles in Moffat if you need anything after day one. 

Post edited at 17:21
 Jack Frost 29 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123:

I walked it over 3days last year. That was a mistake as its pretty dull for that pace. Mind you with wheels I'd expect a bit of hike-a-bike climbing up Garrogill to the south of Cowan Fell in Eskdalemuir. Also the bit up to Craik Cross Hill is a bit overgrown. 

There was a bit of forestry work going on when I was passing through, but I emailed FLS who confirmed the route was fully open. 

OP mike123 29 Apr 2023
In reply to petegunn:  I think I bumped into your mate when they were doing the car shuttle at Ae at the end . That’s where the idea came from .I chatted to the chap in the car not the two in the camper  

OP mike123 29 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123: thanks all 

veteye 29 Apr 2023
In reply to 65:

The nearby pub at the bottom of the market square is ok, can’t recall the name (Might be the black bull).

Buccleugh Arms?

dan bulman 29 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123:

Hi Mike, yea that was us.. we were in camper. As Pete has said above but worth mentioning 6000ft ascent.

The steep push/carry was a bit of a shock and completely out of character with the rest of the route. There's a few bits with diversions etc. 

Overall a good route that would benefit from more traffic. 

Overnight in samye ling monastery was a great experience too.

Message me if you want more crack.

petegunn 29 Apr 2023
In reply to dan bulman:

Haha I've just read what Chris sent me via WhatsApp!!

@mike123 maybe not the best with an elderly family member - unless they are very fit

65 29 Apr 2023
In reply to veteye:

Just checked google maps. Black Bull.

I’ve stayed in the Buccleugh. It did the job, you can interpret the level of praise as you wish.

Post edited at 23:22
OP mike123 30 Apr 2023
In reply to dan bulman: thanks Dan / Pete . If anybody’s going to struggle it’ll be me , too much work and not much play at the moment . Flippin kids have to wait for me at top of climbs . “ elderly relative is indeed very fit . I ve stayed in a number of monasteries in India over the years and the elderly relative Could do with some repair to his karma but the  idea was immediately rejected as bring too far from the pub . Short first day is to accommodate the inevitable keystone coppery that will ensue as we try to get 3  bikes and elderly relative  dropped in Ae , bag dropped in Moffat , car dropped in Hawick , then  us back to Ae . Good job there isn’t a pub in Ae. 

OP mike123 30 Apr 2023
In reply to dan bulman: hi Dan , as rough guess how long from Moffat to Hawick ? 

OP mike123 30 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123: time wise that is 

dan bulman 01 May 2023
In reply to mike123:

Not sure Mike but we averaged 6-7mph.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...