Riding south from Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 29 Apr 2020

I've been thinking about plans for when this is all over. I'm keen to do the national three peaks, but cycling between them over a suitable number of days, rather than burning lots of fuel and disturbing the residents of Wasedale.

I've ridden from home in to the lakes and in to Snowdonia before now, so I fairly comfortable about everything south of Scafell Pike, but I would be interested in hearing thoughts on the best route south from Fort William and the best approaches to Wasdale from the north.

I realise some options might be limited, but ideally I would like to avoid the worst sections of the A82. I have options for road bike or a more gravel bike type set up, so thoughts around either option would be good.

I'm assuming Wasedale is the best option for Scarfell Pike despite possibly more convoluted road access, it also works for me logistically because I have a friend with a property in Greendale that we could use.

Edited for spelling.

Post edited at 14:04
 Rog Wilko 29 Apr 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

I'd go across the ferry from Gourock to Dunoon, then Pass of Brander and along the coast road by Loch Linnhe. Has the advantage of being largely flat, as well as scenic and less busy road.

It's Wasdale, BTW.

Post edited at 14:00
 ScraggyGoat 29 Apr 2020

Limited choice, Rog's suggestion is reasonable, as there is a cycle way from Oban to FW along Loch Linnhe.

A left field, more circuitous and extended outing  taking in great riding, would be passenger Ferry from FW to Camusnagaul, ride south to Lochaline taking the minor coast road option and the Ferry to Mull, Criagnure to Oban, Oban to Taynuilt via the minor back road, Glen Nant to Lochgilphead then Tarbet, Ferry to Cowal Peninsular, ferry to Bute then either to Wemyss or Dunoon .... I try not to go to the central belt or further so cannae advise....for the uncivilized south

This does take in a lot of undulation.

Post edited at 14:23
OP The New NickB 29 Apr 2020

I notice that despite the edit, I've still not been able to spell Wasdale correctly, two times out of three. Thanks for the comments so far.

malky_c 29 Apr 2020

Above options sound most interesting, but you could also go east to Dalwhinnie on the A87 (or tracks to the south of it; I think you could do this entirely on forestry and estate tracks), then through the Drumochter pass on the cycle path adjacent to the A9. From there you could either follow the cycle route (which is mostly on roads) south to Perth, across the eastern side of Fife and into the Borders, or you could cut to Glen Errochty, Tummel Bridge, Kenmore and along the south side of Loch Tay, and pick up the cycle route in Killin (taking you through Callander to find your way out to Stirling).

I'll leave someone else to advise on the best route through the Borders - plenty of options but I haven't spent enough time cycling down there to recommend anything.

DaveHK 29 Apr 2020

>  a more gravel bike type set up

This would open up some fantastic but more time consuming options. It would definitely be my first choice.

Howard J 29 Apr 2020

Sustrans and the Ordnance Survey have this map of the National Cycle Network:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/56.35635,-2.51697,7

David55 29 Apr 2020

To save distance cycling , ride into Borrowdale,  walk over Scafell  Pike and descend into Langdale.  While you are walking get your bike(s) transported to  Langdale  for your arrival. With a  bit of luck I may be  able to help you with  this.

Lots of  cycling  miles saved.  Wasdale is a long way to ride, so give it a miss. 

a crap climber 29 Apr 2020

Just a thought, would you be better starting from Snowden and riding North? You may be slightly more likely to get a tailwind. Probably wouldn't make all that much difference, but in my experience it seems like you get southerly or south-westerly winds more often than northerly winds when cycling near the coast. Might just be some sort of selective memory or something though. 

OP The New NickB 29 Apr 2020
In reply to a crap climber:

A possibility, I remember a strong headwind for 40 miles going west along the North Wales coast wasn't much fun on a 100 mile plus ride out to near South Stack.

DaveHK 29 Apr 2020

>  I'm keen to do the national three peaks, but cycling between them 

Such a lack of ambition, I don't believe anyone has done CRR,BG and PB back to back cycling in between. Some Yank tried it but wasn't up to the job.

Post edited at 14:44
 ScraggyGoat 29 Apr 2020
In reply to malky_c:

The first bit from FW would need to be on road, from Luiblea (or possibly Fersit) you can easily get through to Corrour, and then I have taken a gravel bike past Corrour Old Lodge, to Loch Rannoch.  

This does turn you south earlier, and avoids the A9 cycle way (which is actually a lot better than it sounds).

In reply to David55:

Even if you cycle down borrowdale to seathwaite and cycle back out via Keswick/Ambleside you will save yourself 20 odd miles of cycling as opposed to cycling to wasdale head. Then again the walk from seathwaite is probably 2 hrs longer (round trip). 

If you do have the option of getting your bike transported from seathwaite to langdale by some kind soul this would save you about another 20 miles of cycling. 

DaveHK 29 Apr 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> The first bit from FW would need to be on road, from Luiblea (or possibly Fersit)

There's cycle path from FW to Nevis Range then you could go through the Leanachan Forest.

GerM 29 Apr 2020

It might be worth a look at the map. That direction is all up hill. If you start in Scotland then it's downhill all the way, much easier.

Post edited at 14:48
 ScraggyGoat 29 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes I forgotten that bit, Still need a stretch from Spean eastwards on road.

ScraggyGoat 29 Apr 2020
In reply to GerM:

Maybe its a wise emigration, last look at Snowdonia and the Lakes, before resettling in better environs.

John Rowlands 29 Apr 2020

Echo what others have said about ascent from Borrowdale, cycling in Cumbria for me is not just about the miles but also the amount of sharp climbs which terrorise tired legs, added to this would be a much more interesting walk compared to up and down Mickledore.

Jim Lancs 29 Apr 2020

We pushed our road bikes up from Seathwaite to Eskhause via Styhead. Then walked up the Pikes and back to Eskhause.  Then pushed the bikes past Angle Tarn and down Rossett Ghyll where we could ride along Mickleden.

Rog Wilko 29 Apr 2020

> Just a thought, would you be better starting from Snowden and riding North? You may be slightly more likely to get a tailwind. 

I think the slightly there is redundant. I know it's not directly comparable, but those cyclists trying for the End-to-End record always start at Land's End.

Nathan Adam 29 Apr 2020

The ferry between FW and Camasnagul runs a 3-4 times a day in summer and the other side of the loch is pretty quiet as far as cars go. I'd avoid the A82 south out of FW at all costs (especially in the summer) even if it means waiting a few hours for the ferry, regular accidents there each year involving cyclists. Back across at Corran and then on cycle paths bar two sections all the way to Oban.

Heading round to Lochaline and to Mull then back across to Oban via Craignure is worth keeping in mind if you'd rather stay away from the sound of busy main roads.

In reply to Jim Lancs:

> We pushed our road bikes up from Seathwaite to Eskhause via Styhead. Then walked up the Pikes and back to Eskhause. 

Good going, I would have thought would have only saved 90 mins cycling but would have made the walk a fair bit slower and less enjoyable.

Unless you were just doing it for fun/the challenge.

John Gresty 30 Apr 2020

I know someone who did this many years ago, south to north. He wasn't in any hurry and went via Arran, following the coast as much as possible. 

Having done the same route, except by car it is a very pleasant trip.

John

Jim Lancs 30 Apr 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Good going, I would have thought would have only saved 90 mins cycling

90 minutes is good going - but anyway, it felt more 'logical' and aesthetically pleasing to do it like that. Important when you're young.

It was also amazing how much of the route you could ride on your sturdy Claud Butler. Luckily we had the deluxe versions (531 forks and maintubes) with 10 gears. Obviously if we had known that adventure gravel bikes wouldn't be invented for another 30 odd years we would never had dared do many of our walking/cycling trips without waiting for the proper equipment.

TobyA 30 Apr 2020

Have you seen anything about the unfortunately named second city gravel route? Unfortunate in that it goes to Manchester from Glasgow not Birmingham which obviously is the second city in England! Nevertheless it is meant to be a good route and could probably do you traffic free riding from Glasgow go down to somewhere where where you could access the Lakes. 

I walked to Scafell pike from the South East, Cockley Beck, last autumn when I did it for the first time in 30 years! It wasn't a particularly big walk, so plenty of options that don't include going round to Wasdale.

Edit: the second city name is doubly unfortunate because, of course, Glasgow is second and nothing!

Post edited at 11:53
In reply to Jim

>  It felt more 'logical'more and aesthetically pleasing to do it like that. Important when you're young.

as good a reason as any

> It was also amazing how much of the route you could ride on your sturdy Claud Butler. Luckily we had the deluxe versions (531 forks and maintubes) with 10 gears. Obviously if we had known that adventure gravel bikes wouldn't be invented for another 30 odd years we would never had dared do many of our walking/cycling trips without waiting for the proper equipment.

"Chapeau" as the cycling hipsters like to say.

Alex the Alex 02 May 2020

Good advice on the ferries above. But if you really stretch it you can get from Fort William to Ardrossan with barely 65mi of cycling. Start at FW and get the ferry across to Camasnagul. Then on to Loch Aline. 5 miles of cycling on Mull to get the Oban ferry. Then swap to the Isla ferry and take that all the way to West Loch Tarbert. Another 5mi over to the Arran ferry then a final 14mi down Arran to the Ardrossan ferry. At least half of those ferries have a bar on them.

OP The New NickB 02 May 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I have seen anything about the 2nd City gravel route, but I’ll have a look. Let’s not get in to a discussion about why Birmingham isn’t the second city of England.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...