Repairing tubeless mountain bike tyre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone repaired a tubeless mountain bike tyre with one of the repair plug kits advertised? If so, is it safe and effective on a mt bike tyre, does it last and any advice on makes of kits please?

Managed to get a 5 mm or so cut caused by broken glass through the running surface of a new mt bike tyre after only 25 km! I could keep it as a spare and use an inner tube but wondering if it can be repaired for safe trail riding. Thanks.

Removed User 21 Apr 2019
 balmybaldwin 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yes, still running the same tyre a year later....  I can't remember teh brand of the kit tho

rachcrewe 22 Apr 2019

The best kit is the most simple tubeless kit. Either the Weldtite or the Decathlon equivalent. Follow the instructions and it's pretty simple. You might need to bend the little "fork" with a screwdriver to fit the noodle into it. If you can, pup some extra pressure in the tyre for a bit to force any latex to plug the gaps. Remember to trim the "ears" off afterwards as if these touch the frame then they can slice through a carbon seat stay in a few minutes. 

You can get fancy kits from Dynaplug but I think they are a bit overkill. 

https://www.merlincycles.com/weldtite-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit-85065.html?u...

In reply to rachcrewe:

Thanks to all. I’ll order a kit and hopefully be able to run on the tyre for a while yet.

Dax H 23 Apr 2019
In reply to rachcrewe:

I use that type of kit on my motorcycle. Never failed to get me home including one hole big enough to put my finger in. It took 3 bits of the string to plug it but it worked. It's not designed as a permenent fix though but I would have no problem using it as such on an mtb unless I was in to downhill or dirt jumping. 

Monk 23 Apr 2019

You can also get tyre patches for a stronger, more permanent repair. Basically a heavier duty version of the kit you use on inner tubes. 

In reply to Dax H:

Cheers, that’s reassuring. Should do my mtb tyre for my standard of riding then meantime.

To Monk, I’ll maybe look at a patch if I think I’ll use the tyre for a while on rough stuff.

Thanks all - I’m new to mtb tubeless tyres setup. I’ve stuck with tubes are a long time!

ffati 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Monk:

> You can also get tyre patches for a stronger, more permanent repair. Basically a heavier duty version of the kit you use on inner tubes. 

As monk says get a patch glued on the inside the plugs are good as a fix out and about, but only a temporary fix. 

Agree with what someone else said. I would cut a section of old inner tube. Give it a really good clean then glue it on the inside over the cut with tyre cement. Done it before and lasted the life of the tyre.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...