Recommendations for a hilly track route in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 27 Aug 2018

Recent overuse means I need to rest my knee for a couple of weeks, so no hill running or hillwalking in the meantime. I've got a lovingly maintained 28 year old non-suspension mountain bike and enjoy riding it on tracks (and quiet roads) in the mountains. Have found that a double-dashed route on the OS - usually Landrover track - is fine, but anything more path-like tends to involve on-off the bike which is a faff. I'm looking for recommendations for routes of a reasonable length - say 20 miles at an absolute minimum but preferably a fair bit more - in the Scottish hills. (Happy to do maybe up to 80 miles on such terrain.) Circular is preferable, but wouldn't say no to there-and-back routes if they're good!

Thanks in advance! Currently in Edinburgh but moving to Inverness at the weekend so NW Highlands will be an option too. 

PPP 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I think Pentlands have some less rough tracks? Dunkeld is a good option as heading Northwards (Loch Ordie) has plenty of good condition tracks. Hermitage and Glen Garr was a quite good quality route too: http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=144#TrailNumber305 

Glen Tilt circuit might doable as well? Most of it is on a good track, but few bits are a bit rougher. Pitlochry isn't bad either. 

Arran, Mugdock, Ardgartan Peninsula are not bad either, but based on West Coast. 

Have a look at mtbtrails.info: http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_main_page.aspx . They do have a technical grade, although they do not seem to be too consistent. 

Post edited at 10:49
 rif 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Two good possibilities from the Moy car park (A86 just west of Loch Laggan) are (1) a loop round Ardverikie with possible extension south to L Pattack, and (2) through to L Ossian and Corrour station. All on good tracks.

Neil Pratt 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

“got a lovingly maintained 28 year old non-suspension mountain bike”

I still recall the extended wrestling match I had in the carpark at Tyndrum to get the seatpost out so I could get the damn thing in the car...

Dave the Rave 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

That’s not really resting your knee.

OP Tricadam 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Neil Pratt:

> I still recall the extended wrestling match I had in the carpark at Tyndrum to get the seatpost out so I could get the damn thing in the car...

Seatpost hasn't been out since! 

OP Tricadam 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> That’s not really resting your knee.

Whatever the issue is, it's only aggravated by sudden resistance to flexion with the knee almost in full extension. Cycling doesn't involve this. Had similar experience with it last year, again after increasing the amount of running I was doing too quickly. 

dmhigg 28 Aug 2018
In reply to rif:

Agree with Moy-Corrour entirely: wilderness cycling on excellent tracks with a pub lunch at the station café. Perfect.

OP Tricadam 28 Aug 2018
In reply to dmhigg:

Thanks for the recommendations folks. A couple I'd spotted and a couple I hadn't. Much appreciated! 

BTW I'd meant to say a sudden flexion force being applied at the knee joint when held in almost full extension, i.e. what happens every time you take a step running and, to a gentler extent, walking. 

Removed User 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Achnashellach to Muir of Ord and take the train to get back to the start.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...