Rear tyre suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 29 Apr 2019

Almost at the end of my current Bontrager XR4 so looking for something new as a rear tyre on my hardtail. I find them ok, a little draggy on hardpack and not particularly good in wet.

650b/27" tubeless 2.2-2.4" width

Mostly used on damp natural trails and bridleways, ideally sub £40

Any suggestions please fellow riders.

jethro kiernan 29 Apr 2019
In reply to The Potato:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM65/on-one-smorgasbord-650b-tubeless-rea...

Planet X on one are pretty good for the price, I know a few guys who run them and I got my son some for his MTB.

I run Schwalbe Hanz Dampf you can get the rubber to suit you comes in 4 flavours of rubber and different levels of protection, might just creep out of your price range unless you can get them on Sale.

MonkeyPuzzle 29 Apr 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Maxxis DHF is my current favourite. Great grip in the corners but roll nicely. Worth considering a Maxxis Aggressor if riding smoother trails.

OP The Potato 29 Apr 2019

in reply to jethro -

I actually used smorgasbords for a while on my 26" FS but found it too draggy and poor on wet grass. Ill have a look at Hans Dampf

In reply to Monkeypuzzle
Maxxis DHF - you mean Minion DHF? I thought DHF stood for downhill front? do you use it front and rear then?

Post edited at 16:28
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Apr 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Common misconception. It stands for Downhill Freeride and DHR stands for Downhill Race. I actually run them "back to front" and think that's how they work best. Recommended.

MonkeyPuzzle 29 Apr 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

For clarity, by "back to front" I mean DHF Rear and DHR Front, not the tyres mounted the wrong direction.

OP The Potato 29 Apr 2019
In reply to The Potato:

well im happy to learn something new again, thanks!
Ive never tried one on the rear, only on front on my FS, always felt it would be too aggressive for the HT

ChrisJD 29 Apr 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Maxxis Minion SS (I use DD). Even good in the wet/mud.

If you want higher volume & even more burly, then:

MSC 2.3" Gripper 2C DH (I've split the AM version on the HT). These are awesome Spanish tyres.

https://www.shop.terraventure.co.uk/collections/msc-tires?_=pf&pf_t_whe...

Post edited at 22:23
In reply to MonkeyPuzzleHF awesome on rear.

ChrisJD 30 Apr 2019
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Never got on with the DHF/DHR tyres, but love the Minion SS DD at the back.

Tried a couple of Aggressor DD, but too draggy and then split both of them in sidewalls.

Run a 2.4 MSC Gripper 3C DH up front, great tyre.

Need to retry the Vittoria Martello now they have an Enduro casing out.  Went through too many of the standard casings, but loved the feel/grip of the Martello out back so kept trying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...