Rear tyre advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 07 Jun 2022

Ive got two tyres that im trying to decide between for the rear on my hardtail, Ill have it on late spring to mid autumn then change to Maxxis Minion DHR II over winter.

Either a Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 exo or Conti Trail King II 2.4 puregrip.

I usually ride rocky bridlepaths and grassy/ gravel tracks (hardly ever trail centres). 

What would your choice be between the two please?

OP The Potato 08 Jun 2022

Bump

Gav_92 08 Jun 2022
In reply to The Potato:

Im happy with my 2.3 aggressor. Good combination of rolling resistance and grip 

ChrisJD 08 Jun 2022
In reply to The Potato:

Have a look at the Maxxis Minion SS. 

Ridden all sorts with this on the back, both HT & FS. Never in EXO casing though, only DD.

neuromancer 09 Jun 2022
In reply to The Potato:

Neither of them.

Reckon 2.4 WT or Dissector 2.4 WT in EXO or EXO+ depending on your weight and if you run inserts (I've never broken an EXO in the lakes but I run inserts) and how much braking control you need.

The Aggressor is just a weird halfway house that has mostly been superseded.

Minion SS not unless you have rims under 25mm width as they get square off and get draggy. 

In reply to The Potato:

I’ve used Rekons in the past and was more than happy with them as a good all rounder for general cross country type conditions. Let down for me a bit too much in wetter and muddy conditions. They took quite a hammering and only puncture I had was from broken glass.

I moved to a more aggressive tyre at the time but still have a couple in my store cupboard to use again when conditions suits.

ChrisJD 09 Jun 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

EXO casings riding in the Lakes - crikey.

The number of EXO casing tyres I've seen shredded, lol.  It's a running joke amongst all my riding friends.

The Minion SS are not a problem on wider rims.

neuromancer 09 Jun 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

I've literally never understood this POV (but not trying to invalidate it).

Unless I'm riding gingerly - I've smashed three back wheels (as in destroyed the rim), last one was being silly coming off skiddaw via ullock pike - I've ridden pretty much every single tech lakes descent on EXOs (usually dhrs, dissectors or rekons) and not once lost a tyre (or even needed a tubeless plug).

80kg, 30mm carbon rims, no more than 20psi ever and a normal rimpact insert. Maybe it's because I'm not riding a massive 40lb ebike or something? 

Post edited at 14:24
 ChrisJD 09 Jun 2022
In reply to neuromancer:

You are certainly an outlier based on my and my friends experience of EXO casings. 

It not a POV/opinion, it's that they have literally always failed when someone tried one, once things got chunky.  We all ride both hardtails and FS, all across UK and Europe. No ebikes.

Raced many enduros, including Grizedale x6 and Graythwaite x2 in the Lakes; exo casings wouldn't have lasted a stage for me.

Never had a tyre failure in three seasons of racing PMBAs - saw a lot mind, probably all those EXOs, lol.

OP The Potato 09 Jun 2022
In reply to The Potato:

Good input thanks all 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...