read shimano spindle advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 21 Mar 2019

Can the spindle and cones be replaced in a Shimano hub? if so are there standard sizes and what should I be searching for?

My rear bearings have a huge amount of play in them - yesterday I took the wheel off and the locking nut against the cone was loose so I adjusted the cone and nipped up the locking nut. As I tightened it I noticed some "clicks".  I got it nice and smoothly running without play and reinstalled the wheel.

And then the wheel had the same, large amount of play in it.

Putting two+two together I surmise that the threads have gone on the spindle and/or locking nut and that a replacement is in order - the wheel is ok but it's seen a lot of service and new cones would be sensible was well.

I suspect changing the cups really means a new hub (which practically means a new wheel).

So... pointers to a new spindle/cones cones suitable for a Shimano rear MTB wheel please!

r0b 21 Mar 2019
In reply to gravy:

If you can find your hub here the exploded diagram will gove you part numbers for all the components. Then you may be able to source these by searching for the part number.

https://si.shimano.com/#/

And SJS Cycles are good for spare parts: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-hub-cones-spares/

Removed User 21 Mar 2019
In reply to gravy:

Shimano documentation on line has an exploded view of components with associated part numbers. Damage to threads which is causing slippage should be clearly visible on the spindle.

LastBoyScout 21 Mar 2019
In reply to gravy:

If the threads were stripped, I would have expected that installing the wheel and tightening up the wheel would have further reduced the play, effectively locking up the wheel?

You don't say if it's QR, through axle or just nuts?

jpicksley 21 Mar 2019
In reply to gravy:

Not sure I understand why you say replacing hubs is practically the same as buying new wheels. I've just changed the hubs (shimano) on a set of Alex Rims wheels as the cones had gone and only had to buy the new hubs (about £11 each). Everything else was fine and works fine with the new hubs. It's a phaff admittedly as it means stripping and rebuilding the wheel (and a mess as the tires are tubeless) but far less expensive  than new wheels even if you get a bike mechanic to strip and rebuild the wheels. Am I missing something? Can you even change the cones in a hub without replacing the hub (and without taking the hub apart which I guess means dismantling and rebuilding the wheel anyway)?

LastBoyScout 21 Mar 2019
In reply to jpicksley:

Think you've confused cups with cones in there.

Some hubs you can press the cups out and put new ones in, Shimano you mostly can't, I think. If it's the rear drive side, you can replace the free hub, which contains the cup for that side - if it's the NDS, you need a new hub.

Post edited at 13:43
 LastBoyScout 21 Mar 2019
In reply to gravy:

As an aside, it is the threads on the spindle that are stripped, or is it the free hub that's knackered?

jpicksley 21 Mar 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yes, I have, what a prat! Thanks for pointing that out! Exchange cones for cups in my first reply then I think that reply makes sense (to me)...unless it doesn't.

OP gravy 21 Mar 2019

Folks:

It is a QR spindle and it's defo the cones and spindle I want to replace.  I don't know for sure if the thread have gone but if they have, I think it will be the threads on the locking nut, not the cone (locking nut being very thin).

I suspect the "clicks" were the threads slipping and consequently I think the locking nut was loose before the QR came tight and the cone simply undid.

My calculation was given the likely cost of a new cone and spindle compared with the faff of further investigation and the age of the cones this was most effectively solved by getting a new spindle and cones, iff, I could easily identify the part.

Cups would be a bonus - I forgot the freewheel comes with the cone - last time I had this off it was too much of a faff for me to bother again unless the freewheel is knackered.  As far as replacing the hub goes - I can't be arsed to rebuild the wheel myself - I realise some people like this sort of thing and some finding it relaxing and hypnotic even but I find wheel building tedious and a infuriatingly frustrating use of my time compared with being out on my bike.

For me - new cones and spindle: 15 mins of time + washing up with the bonus of nicely greased bearings. For me wheel rebuild: all weekend in a terrible mood.

If anyone know if this is a standard size / part please let me know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...