Problems with Vivoactive HR watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 06 Jul 2019

Folks. Yesterday whilst out on a long ride, I "discovered" two things with my watch.

1)Firstly, and after so long (im not sure how long, maybe a few hours), the watch reverted from present speed to average speed !!

2)Secondly, and very frustratingly; Early in the ride I stopped a few times for a very short break (2 or 3 mins each time) up until about 60 miles where I was stopped for maybe 20 mins or so in a cafe. I stopped/started the watch at each of the breaks BUT after the longer stop at 60 miles, the watch reverted back to the clock (ie 12.07"), and lost all details from that 60 miles I had just done !! I then had to do the rest of the ride starting from scratch so that the full ride was done in two halves on strava etc !!

Does anyone know how to solve the above at all ?. Certainly  no 2) is a pain and although its happened once before, i put that down to me taking the watch from my wrist. Yesterday, i left it on !!

I Realise these things arent bulletproof but was it just a glitch or is there something i can do in the "Settings" at all please ??

Thanks for any help folks

nniff 06 Jul 2019
In reply to Newbuild100:

Sounds like your common or garden Garmin to me.  Your settings have been considered by the device and deemed incompatible with its own opinion of what they should be.  You will continue to have this sort of disagreement throughout your relationship.

OP Newbuild100 08 Jul 2019
In reply to nniff:

Anyone else help at all please ?

girlymonkey 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Newbuild100:

Not an issue I have had, but your second problem may be solved by changing the settings so it auto pauses when you stop? It might not solve it, but you could try and see if it does!

Sorry I can't be more help. I am not a very serious user of these sorts of devices, I just like to have a record of where I have been!

nniff 09 Jul 2019
In reply to Newbuild100:

My answer might not seem serious, but in my experience of Garmin devices, that's what they do.  My device seems to think I have a calorie fixation and keeps on resetting everything to feature that prominently.  It has been more stable since it last downloaded a new brain though, so I live in hope.

GrahamD 09 Jul 2019
In reply to Newbuild100:

Sorry can't help you.  I have a vivoactive which was a lovely retirement present from work and I love it as a watch and a handy night light for finding the loo at night but I don't use it for 'serious' route logging, partly for reason 1).  Do you need to turn it off at stops ?

Run_Ross_Run 09 Jul 2019
In reply to Newbuild100:

Try a factory reset. I had a few issues with an 820 and they were resolved by that. 

OP Newbuild100 09 Jul 2019
In reply to nniff:

I thought your answer funny actually. I got the watch so that my iphone 6  wasnt using up all its battery life in one long day on the bike, plus its better than handholding a phone when running. But, at the mo, the watch is worse than the phone. It is in fact getting worse. I walked a for a while this morning, then paused it, left on my desk and it kept stopping/starting itself with nobody near it. I have talked to Garmin and they will send me a replacement (£100 mind).

If these things do sometimes have minds of there own, and other garmins do the same from time to time, i will have a replacement "HR". However, if the model I have is prone to the above, I may look to upgrade

GrahamD 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Newbuild100:

Personally I find a bike specific head unit and a proper HR strap much better for longer rides. I still love the watch but not for serious HR monitoring or ride logging plus you get the navigation with the head unit.

OP Newbuild100 12 Jul 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Folks, Further to the above. It appears (And I use the word "appears" because the "Experts" at Garmin arent even sure about this one) that certainly the HR watch will only remain in the "stopped" position for a certain amount of time. With my own watch, it seems to be 25 minutes bang on. Under that time, it will start again ok after my cafe/butty break..

But, over 25 minutes in the stopped position, it reverts back to the  normal time screen and all data from the ride is lost. Ive tried it several times in different activity modes, and it does the same thing. Im guessing it will do the same in the autopause too, I will try later

Given I only got the watch to log long rides and to save my iphone's battery being swallowed using strava etc, this is frustrating.

More tests will follow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...