Pocket knife saves Canadian during grizzly attack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 09 Aug 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49186379

He has a great turn of phrase, referring to when the bear turned to get behind him, he says at that point he went from "uncomfortable to wildly uncomfortable".

Poor BBC reporting though - he's OK but they don't answer the important question "is the bike OK?".

Post edited at 13:36
Removed User 09 Aug 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

I wonder why, when first coming across the bear, he didn't just cycle back from where he'd come from. I realise you're not supposed to run away from them but if you're on a bike I'd have thought you'd have a good chance of getting away.

In reply to elsewhere:

Obviously neither of us gives a shit about the bike. I'm rather more concerned that the bear was hunted down and killed for defending its territory. There are too many humans and not enough bears in the world.

Removed User 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Frank the Husky:

As I understand it bears aren't territorial. They attack people for the following reasons:

They think you're going to steal its food.

They think you are going to stop it getting some food.

They think you are food.

They think you're a threat to their cubs.

They think you're a threat to them.

In most cases where a bear attacks a human for no reason such as this, the bear is either old, sick or injured and is starving because it can't catch enough food to live on. Normally bears just run away from humans. There's a theory that bears have evolved this way after 10000+ years of contact with humans. Those that didn't avoid contact with humans were less likely to live long enough to pass on their genes. I think there is also the occasional psycho bear of course.

In either case once a bear kills a human and realises that human actually tastes OK then it becomes a menace to us. At that point action needs to be taken. Either kill the bear in advance of it attacking someone else or inevitably it'll get killed after it attacks someone else. In this case it's quite possible the bear would have decided to pay a visit to the nearby logging camp in hope of another easy meal. While it's a shame to kill a wild animal, killing one after it has demonstrated that it is a menace to humans seems sensible and will make little or no difference to the survival of the species.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/423975.Bear_Attacks

wintertree 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Removed User:

What about feeding the bear a person who tastes really vile, to put them off eating more people?  

plyometrics 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Removed User:

This makes me reckon, even on a bike, you’d struggle to get away...

youtube.com/watch?v=Ywe60Nk_dEk&

Makes Usain Bolt look a bit sluggish!

Pullhard 09 Aug 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

Brings back memories off  youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI&

plyometrics 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Pullhard:

Jesus!

Thunderbird7 10 Aug 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

....and if the bears dont sh1t you up, try the cougars

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/20/mountain-bikers-fatal-couga...

Post edited at 12:44
 fred99 12 Aug 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> What about feeding the bear a person who tastes really vile, to put them off eating more people?  

Nigel Farage ? Boris Johnson ? ....

Removed User 12 Aug 2019
In reply to fred99:

>  Nigel Farage ? Boris Johnson ?

Isn't Nigel Farage a keen smoker? The nicotine mixed in his system would just make the bear addicted. Maybe someone stringy and bland would be more off-putting. Gwyneth Paltrow? 

Dave Cundy 12 Aug 2019
In reply to fred99:

Bah.... you beat me to it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...