planet x bikes good value?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom.fox 23 Apr 2019

the planet x bikes look great value -thinking of the carbon hardtail mountain bike-any comments please?

daftdazza 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tom.fox:

There bikes seem to offer great value, but I hear mixed reports about costumer service and after sales support.  

There frames are usually open mould Tiawan imports with planet X branding on them.

The carbon mountain bike frame is not that light, would expect a carbon hard tail frame to weight around 1kg these days with the planet X one weighting around the same as modern alloy xc frames.  

For good value look at decathlon btwin 500 series hardtails.  Top spec builds weighting about 11.5kg for about a grand, look like great cross country bikes.  But I am sure the planet X bike would be fine, I am considering some of there carbon gravel bikes .

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/xc-500-mountain-bike-gx-eagle-29-id_8518393.htm.... A higher spec build and lighter bike for 100 quid less

Post edited at 10:30
 abr1966 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tom.fox:

Can't comment on their mountain bikes but I've bought 2 of their road bikes which have both been excellent and great value for money! Never had any issues with customer service! 

Sam W 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tom.fox:

I bought a frameset from them (London Road).  Arrived with manufacturing debris in the fork bosses, first they asked if I could retap them myselves, when I said no they did arrange a free return to their workshop and repair.  Overall customer service experience was ok.

Frame has been fine, good value.  My biggest grumble now is that they charge a flipping fortune for rear mech hangers when they need replacing.

wilkesley 23 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I bought one of their road bikes from an end of season sale about three years ago. No problems with it, so can't comment on customer service. The specification was similar to my Giant Defy 2, although the components/finish weren't quite as good. However, it was half the price of the Giant. Apart from normal servicing, it has been fine for the three years I have owned it. 

OP tom.fox 24 Apr 2019
In reply to tom.fox:

cheers! will look at the xc 500 

pwo 24 Apr 2019
In reply to tom.fox:

i bought one of their titanium bikes and so far been delighted with it except for two annoying problems:- the sealed wheel hub seized after only less than 6 months (approx 6000 miles) dry miles and the head stock bearing also gave up the ghost. The wheels were vision 45 comp so probably partially to blame for not getting a better wheel set.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...