Peak District bike hire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TamMor 02 Nov 2022

I’m normally a hill walker, and a local runner. At the moment I’m suffering from week four of Achilles tendinitis so running f is still off the agenda, and I’m not sure I’ll be cleared for a serious walk for quite a while yet. I’m beginning to feel the need for some time out in the Peaks, so thought about cycling. I use my hybrid around town, to and from work etc, and cycling isn’t causing me any Achilles pain. I’ll clear a longer ride with my physio first. 

What I was wondering was whether anyone has recommendations for decent bike hire locations? Ideally somewhere between Sheffield and Stockport, close to a railway station would be even better. I’m thinking some light off-road, nothing too gnarly! 

Thanks in advance. 

TheGeneralist 02 Nov 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Bike Garage

https://bikegarage.co.uk/

0.4 miles from Bamford Station

And for a bonus point  here's a nice mellow route which startes and finishes at the bike garage ( cos we hired a bike there)

https://strava.app.link/p7adtzCADub

If you're 6foot then try to book the Trek Fuel EX, its a beauty 

Post edited at 21:30
OP TamMor 02 Nov 2022
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Perfect, thank you. I’d seen their website but it’s great to get personal recommendations. That looks a decent ride too, I know a fair bit of it from walking so it’d be good to see it in a different way. 

Post edited at 21:41
 TheGeneralist 02 Nov 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Cool. I chose it as I was taking some kids out who hadn't mtbd before so wanted something on the easier end.

Full disclosure, the bit in the sw section that does a bit of a loop down to, and then up Roman Road...

A bit of that is FutureBridleway (TM)  in case such things bother you 

Post edited at 21:46
 Mick B 03 Nov 2022
In reply to TamMor:

I'd also recommend the Bike Garage.

I used them to test out a full suss E bike proir to buying one.

Really sound guy who runs it.

OP TamMor 03 Nov 2022
In reply to Mick B:

Thanks, Mick, sounds like it’s the place to go.  I’ll give them a ring once I’ve chatted to my physio.

ChrisJD 03 Nov 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Probably best to avoid that FutureBridleway (TM) (which we fondly call 'Stickman') during busy periods ... please don't do it on a sunny Sunday

> At the moment I’m suffering from week four of Achilles tendinitis so running f is still off the agenda, and I’m not sure I’ll be cleared for a serious walk for quite a while yet. ... I’m beginning to feel the need for some time out in the Peaks, so thought about cycling ....  I’m thinking some light off-road, nothing too gnarly! 

If this is the case, then definitely do not do start off with the route suggested by TheGeneralist;  I know all these tracks very well and also know a thing or two about Achilles tendon recovery (having snapped one in May this year [playing social family tennis, uggg] .. fully healed now after excellent surgery & a great Rehab process). 

You do not want to be riding that trail and that sort of stuff straight off with a dodgy Achilles, especially on an unfamiliar bike.  I would also not place that route on the 'easier end': it does have some proper classic Peak rocky BW sections on it (but I taken novices round it ... and ridden a few times on my rigid X-bike)  .... it would be so bad for you to screw that Achilles.

Post edited at 12:31
 blurty 04 Nov 2022

> And for a bonus point  here's a nice mellow route which startes and finishes at the bike garage ( cos we hired a bike there)

Check if the tracks on the west side of ladybower are open - there is a major tree felling programme I think (Ash tree disease)

ChrisJD 04 Nov 2022
In reply to blurty:

You can still get up the forest gravel double track to Lockerbrook (which is a way better way than going up eh 'flying mile' BW that comes down from Lockerbrook). 

TheGeneralist 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

> You can still get up the forest gravel double track to Lockerbrook (which is a way better way than going up eh 'flying mile' BW that comes down from Lockerbrook). 

Heresy

Flying mile is a great climb. Though perhaps with neither tendinitis nor beginners 

ChrisJD 04 Nov 2022

But bikers cimbing up it makes it crap for bikers coming down it.  Be nice, use the gravel.

That said, in the 30 ish times I've been down it (from Strava) can only recall passing one set of bikers coming up it (they were pushing) when we've been going down it (and that was in the dark).

Been out on WLT and EoG this evening, all running great and fast. Was a bit wild weather on the top.

TheGeneralist 05 Nov 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

> But bikers cimbing up it makes it crap for bikers coming down it.  Be nice, use the gravel.

That made me laugh 😂

(Though I would concede that people could should consider the fire road instead if they are likely to be pushing up screaming mile)

Post edited at 10:24
 ChrisJD 05 Nov 2022

If it's a busy day, the nice thing to do would be to use the gravel climb as most people ride down the flying mile.  You can also chat with your mates on the gravel up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...