Other uses for belay specs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 13 Jun 2019

Watching yesterday's TT in the Dauphine I'm wondering again why they don't use something like belay specs.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Often thought the same myself. I have also suggested to some of my overstrong friends that they wear belay specs upside down to help improve their footwork. 

nniff 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Because seeing where you are going all the time is not a key priority on a closed road, but aero is.  Full cone-head helmets have largely disappeared because the rounder aero helmets were better in typical time trial use, and so the penalty for dropping your head is less than it was.  If you had belay glasses, you might be able to see better if your head was down (with an aero penalty), but you'd see bugger all when you sat up to take bends, when you needed to see better.

Rigid Raider 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Maybe Froomey was testing them when he hit that wall?

Open fracture of the femur though.... bad news!

daWalt 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

some geezer who's name I can't remember used them on his record breaking accross australia (or the aus section of around the world / whatever) pedalathon. he was doing long stints blasting allong straignt roads in a tuck position......

but appart form that -

OP Rog Wilko 13 Jun 2019
In reply to nniff:

Having your head down almost the whole way must have an aero benefit and it might be possible to redesign the specs to minimise drag giving a net benefit. Several maybes there, i must admit.

daWalt 13 Jun 2019
In reply to daWalt:

can't find the info.

from memory he only used them a wee bit when I think he was cycling through the night on the outback stages....

I'v neve used belay glasses, and certainly not on a bike, but at night on an endless straight road I guess you can live with the limided vision.

Cheryl 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I lend them to my mum for doing jigsaws 🤣

OP Rog Wilko 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Cheryl:

> I lend them to my mum for doing jigsaws 🤣

????

Baz P 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Put on upside down you can read in bed whilst lying down.

When the proper ones were expensive, I bought some Chinese glasses for £3.45 designed for reading in bed and just reversed the prisms. Still use them.

Ciro 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've used them for training in a TT position when I was getting neck problems - was bloody great.

Mused on the idea of designing a helmet with integrated prisms but never got round to it. 

With frameless glasses (mine are CU) there's no problem switching between tuck and upright for the corners.

Sharp 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Painting the ceiling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...