New Cycle route proposed Derby to the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/new-cycle-route-take-bikes...

I'm all for the creation of more biking routes .

A good idea.

Just for information really.

CT

wilkie14c 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

A great path already exists from Borrowash to Darley Park that goes right through Derby so I imagine the route with continue north from that. Going to be interesting route wise, if it could continue to follow the river would be great but the Derwent winds it’s way through a lot of private land. Exciting news indeed. 

gethin_allen 06 Mar 2021

As much as I like a good cycle path I'm not certain I like the stated objective of "reducing the number of cyclists on the A6".

I'd much prefer if it was to encourage more people to get on bikes by providing some good infrastructure. If the path is good people will use it. If this path ends up anything like most cycle paths it will be a joke to ride on with a crap surface and anti-trail bike gates every 200 yards and will then encourage animosity of halfwit motorists who will decide to punish cyclists who aren't using the path and "don't pay road tax"

GrahamD 06 Mar 2021

All we need now is an easy way to get there with your bike on the train.

Toccata 06 Mar 2021

I don’t know details of this but around here generally new cycle routes involve putting small numbered signs on normal roads and pretending they are new. 
As has been stated I don’t think a new route will make an iota of difference to the numbers cycling on the A6.

Luke90 07 Mar 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

> If the path is good people will use it. If this path ends up anything like most cycle paths it will be a joke to ride on with a crap surface and anti-trail bike gates every 200 yards and will then encourage animosity of halfwit motorists who will decide to punish cyclists who aren't using the path and "don't pay road tax"

Did you read the comments on the story? No need to, they're exactly what you'd expect...

"I'm all for more cyclists taking exercise but those that use trunk roads are a danger to themselves and other road users. We will no doubt find the costs spiral out of control and land owners will be reluctant to hand over land for this project. If cyclists are willing to keep off main roads then I undertake to keep my car off their cycle tracks."

"A law that bans bikes from the public road whe a cycle track is provided is what I'd like to see."

"Also make it compulsory to ride single file."

"Even if it’s opened the idiot pelotons will still block up the A6 riding 3 or 4 abreast. I was always taught to stay in single file on roads!"

Rog Wilko 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Luke90:

What an appalling if unsurprising set of responses! I don’t know whether to like or dislike.

spenser 07 Mar 2021

Good to hear! I understand that one of the more significant obstacles to this was the turf farmer just north of the Derby rugby club who thoroughly opposed the footpath being upgraded to a bridleway, instead they have upgraded the cycle path immediately alongside the A61 up to the Little Eaton A38 roundabout. 

They could logically take the Makeney road from there and upgrade the footpath on the W bank of the Derwent past Belper, add a new bridleway leading from Bridge Hill to Ambergate on the W bank.

Follow Cromford Canal to Cromford and then ride through Starkholmes (quite a steep climb, may need to come up with a better route here).

That sounds like a really nice ride and wouldn't need an obscene amount of investment given the safety improvement. I might do a similar ride up to Baslow when we're allowed to stay away from home again, second day could take me as far as Bamford or Hathersage!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...