New Bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 02 Mar 2023

I’m Thinking about getting back to doing a bit of mountain biking after about 15 years out of the saddle.  Lots has changed so just after a bit of advice please.  
I was looking at a kona kuhuna DL. 2022 model is same spec as 2023 but much cheaper!!!  now the standard Kuhuna gets a good write-up but it says something about it sticking with a more “traditional” geometry. I’m sure it will be far more able and capable than me so I guess it’s just fomo! But should I be looking  at a something with a more uptodate geometry? if so what would be recommended?

TIA

damowilk 03 Mar 2023
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

What type of riding do you think you would start with, and what might be the hardest you would aim to do? Where and on what type of trails would it be?

Above a certain price point it’s hard to get a bad bike nowadays, but some might be a bit less suitable for you depending on the answers to the above. Certainly if your last riding was 15 yrs ago, bikes will feel a lot more capable, and the amount of travel will do far more than the numerically same back then.

Don’t get too hung up on “modern” geometry, and higher levels of components, unless you’re a very discriminating or experienced rider, you probably won’t notice much difference. But very roughly, a “slacker” bike will feel more secure on the downs, but harder work on the ups.

Try to have a good test of how a bike feels. Sizing and geometry varies between brands. 

A good starting point would be a full suspension bike with 110-140 travel front and back, across the XC to trail categories, or the new modish “down country” in between category.

(I love my Scott Spark 2022, as a single quiver bike that is fast and efficient on ups and flats, and that can still get me down easier black runs with the sort of drops and gap jumps that middle age timidity is ever likely to allow me to do!)

jethro kiernan 03 Mar 2023
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

MTB’s are really capable now so your average mid travel bike 120-140 will do all your trail centre needs, but it’s also worth bearing in mind that longer  travel bikes are also getting very capable at doing trail centre stuff as well, a 140-160 29” would seem like overkill but with various flip switches etc they are really versatile and if your biking includes a trip to the alps or the occasional more ambitious mountain descent then there is enough bike to get the slightly over ambitious middle aged punter out of trouble. 
I took one for a test ride 150 and 29”and was really surprised at how well it rode uphill and how agile it was.

my next full sus MTB will definitely be over gunned (not because I’m good on the bike but to get me out of trouble) but I have a fun hardtail to fall back on for everything else.

In reply to obi-wan nick b:Thanks all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...