Mtb wheels and tyres sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Pondering going from current 27.5 wheels and tyres to 27.5+ sizes. 

However, came across a bike advertised running 29 front and 27.5+rear. My LBS does not have such combo to try out. Anyone running that setup have any views, pros and cons? Also, what is the best plus width for all round use?

Background: It would be a new bike so I am assuming the geometry would be built for the setup of different sized wheels/tyres. My current full sus mtb is an all mountain one so an all rounder and used in the hills, cross country, single trails, trail centres (incl reds) and the likes all for leisurely fun. I don’t do extremes but my bike has to cope with a variety of terrain incl rocks, small drop offs, tree roots, rough loose surfaces, undulating fast downs yet steep ups in moderation.

Trying to maintain a nimble capable all round bike, but improving rolling ability over tree roots/rocks, and more importantly comfort through less vibrations if this is possible without sacrificing too much! I had a 29er years ago, but much prefer the agility of my current 27.5 on 2.25 tyres.

In reply to ChrisJD:

Interesting, thanks. Looking at that and other videos, a 29 up front may well be an advantage for me. 

MonkeyPuzzle 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

On their medium and large sizes, Liteville spec 29er front / 27.5 rear. Normal size, not plus, but I reckon it can't be too bonkers if a super-thoughtful manufacturer like Liteville is doing it.

wbo 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman: given what you say you ride I'd test some more 29s

ChrisJD 15 Sep 2018

Have a look at the Cotic FlareMax 29er.  Mate ride ones and he flies on it (up, down and across).

Thanks all, appreciated. I should get a test ride on a full 29er as it has been years since I was on one. Also, if I found a local shop that had a 29/27.5 to compare against tha would be great. More food for thought, thanks.

ChrisJD 16 Sep 2018

> I should get a test ride on a full 29er as it has been years since I was on one.

They are well sorted now, should be a different experience from a few years back. 

ChrisJD 03 Oct 2018

Saw this and thought of this thread:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/mismatched-wheel-size-bikes-380291

In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks. I’ll have a read later at home; not made any decision yet anyway.

Post edited at 18:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...