MTB rides that will not upset my wife N/W England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 05 Jun 2018

I/we are kind of getting into cycling. Its great fun and something my wife and I can do together. She loves walking and is reasoanably fit, but is not into adrenaline rushes. We did the Preston Wheel, then some cycle tracks down the Lancs coast. Then a week cycling in the Netherlands, all good. We now want to do more, but neither of us like traffic, the other day near Longridge some git in a car nearly clipped us both . I know we are a bit spoiled but I want something now that is longish, 30 miles say, traffic free and not too hilly, this is baby steps. I was wondering about doing a section of the Pennine Bridleway or The Mary Townley loop (part of, the whole thing is a bit long), assuming that as its for horses, the paths will not be mega technical nor ultra steep, also we can get off and push.

Am I barking up the right tree here.

Post edited at 13:19
Rigid Raider 05 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

No, grrrr woof...  the MTL is very tough. By all means try bits of it but to do it in one day needs physical strength and stamina. The section called the Famine Road above Rochdale is fascinating but is cobbled for its full length so quite wearing on the arms and situpon. The bit below Stoodley Pike is also fascinating and easy to access from Hebden Bridge though with steep climbs out of the river gorge. There are some beautiful stretches of old Pennine packhorse trail there with stone setts going for miles. Read up about the South Pennine Packhorse Trails Trust. 

Here's one I did when I got my first mountain bike, I really enjoyed it and on Sunday I recommended it to a roadie friend who fancied something different and he also loved it:

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/get-outdoors-dales/mountai...

Check the Route Description; it's quite difficult in places but one can always get off and walk. At 19 miles it's a respectable distance for a novice and the height gain isn't too severe. If you want you can extend it a little down to Litton where there's a good pub on the village green.

Another excellent little trip is to drive to the White House pub on the A58 above Littleborough, head NE for Mytholmroyd but then turn left at a gate and follow the leats along the same contour line for 9 miles anticlockwise around the top of the hill, rejoining the A58 by the Blackstone Edge reservoir. I took my 60 year-old Mum around that on a hired bike and she loved the space and sense of exposure up on the tops. 

By the same token from the White House you can ride south above Blackstone Edge towards the M62 footbridge, which gives rocky, challenging and testing riding but amazing views. Some of that may not be bridleway. 

If you enjoy the Fylde try the old Glasson Dock railway line up to Lancaster, the Cafe de Lune is a nice place to stop. Also on the Fylde, park at the Elletson Arms in Stakepool then ride along the sea wall to Knott End, take the foot ferry to Fleetwood and follow the front down to Clevelys then turn inland to Wyre Estuary Country Park (good cafe) then follow the riverside track round to the fascinating marina at Skippool.  Then cross the Shard bridge and follow the lanes back to Pilling. That's 21 flat miles, do it clockwise or anti depending on the wind, so as to enjoy being blown up the front.  Ooer. 

Post edited at 14:21
Jimmountainviews 05 Jun 2018
In reply to bedspring:

I'd recommend the following over what's been said already;

- Clapham Tunnels & Bridges route - really leisurely route with a nice mix of bridleways/single track

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/get-outdoors-dales/mountai...

- Gisburn Forest Blue Route (or Red if you're feeling adventurous!) 

- Settle loop (though the climb out of settle is a bit of a killer the rest is top!)

There's supposed to be a route around Longridge Fell (my local) but it doesn't sound all that great so possibly one to avoid.

Hope they help

J1234 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks for that. We are very familiar with the area around Penyghent and I suepect the path across Foxton Moor would not be to my Wifes liking, at the moment, however that Elleston Arms ride looks just the ticket, thanks again.

Tyler 05 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

Have you considered the canal from Preston to Skipton? I've not down it but am interested for similar reasons 

J1234 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Jimmountainviews:

Thanks for that, we do like that area.
It is a balancing act, when I bought her the bike a 2 or 3 years ago we went to Gisburn, did the blue route, all good, ah says I lets do the Red, ended up coming back in the gloom, a pisssed off Mrs Bedspring, put of cycling, hence coming back to it 2 years later.

J1234 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Tyler:

No, but I will look into it. We went for a walk along the canal you can see from the M65, near the junctionbetween Padiham and Accrington a few weeks ago, which I assume is the same one. The path seemed good. Thanks

We have enjoyed the sections of Route 62 Lytham to Cleveleys and Southport towards Liverpool https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-60

Post edited at 14:51
J1234 17 Jun 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Also on the Fylde, park at the Elletson Arms in Stakepool then ride along the sea wall to Knott End, take the foot ferry to Fleetwood and follow the front down to Clevelys then turn inland to Wyre Estuary Country Park (good cafe) then follow the riverside track round to the fascinating marina at Skippool.  Then cross the Shard bridge and follow the lanes back to Pilling. That's 21 flat miles, do it clockwise or anti depending on the wind, so as to enjoy being blown up the front.  Ooer. 

Did this today, it was great thanks.

SebCa 17 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

Nice easy trail route starting from Clapham

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway/route/try-trail-bike-crum...

and one from Abbey Village not far from you

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTgxODExMA==

ArnaudG 18 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

Have a look at the gravel routes on the Green Jersey Café site (thegreenjersey.co.uk/home/ride_with_tgj/cycling-routes/) 

They are a bit longer than what you want but unlikely to be very technical since supposed to be ridden on CX bikes.

Also check out the routes on http://pedalnorth.com/content/bike-routes

They have all sort of routes from short easy to pretty hard core. 

Cheers

A.-

colinakmc 18 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

Bit off the beaten track for you but big chunks of the west highland way might suit ( just not the E side of Loch Lomond north of Rowardennan) Milngavie to Rowardennan must be 30-ish miles and you can take the ferry back across the loch which makes for a nice wee adventure?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...