Mtb grips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 01 Mar 2023

I need new grips. The old ones are worn down to bare metal underneath. I'm not sure what they were to begin with, they came with the bike.

I spoke to the LBS but they weren't very helpful.

What do you look for in new grips? I'm baffled by the choice out there 

Thanks 

GTE

S Ramsay 01 Mar 2023
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Lock on grips are best, easy to fit and stay in place. Other than that, choose ones that you like the feel, colour and price of

gethin_allen 01 Mar 2023

It's very personal. I'd say the main things are thickness and firmness.

echo34 01 Mar 2023

I like DMR Deathgrips, they come in loads of colours and have a thin/thick, and soft/firm option 

I like the thick soft option , really comfortable to ride with and good grip and control

Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2023

I agree with the above, lock on is best, Lizard Skins lock on are good.

jiminy483 01 Mar 2023

Always go lock on, other than that I just pick the grips I think will look coolest with my bike. 

LastBoyScout 01 Mar 2023

Pick some you like the feel of - one for a bike shop visit rather than online reviews.

However, make sure they work with whatever controls you have - I've got a set I bought that don't work with my set-up, as the lock-on ring is thick enough that it prevents me using the remote lock-out for my forks (won't click down quite enough). I don't want to move everything 1/2" inboard, as then I won't have the brake levers in the right place.

Maggot 01 Mar 2023
In reply to gethin_allen:

> It's very personal. I'd say the main things are thickness and firmness.

Oooh er Mrs!

Thanks to the OP for the thread, lock on grips are just what I need, I never knew.

Jakaitch 01 Mar 2023

Second vote for DMR deathgrips 

As others have said, what suits you.

I’m in the minority from what I see on mt bikes; I choose grips to fit my hand size, ergonomically designed and shaped and also have a palm support. Generally they are thicker and longer to comfortably fit my hand. Must be lockable so that I can adjust angle of palm support to suit me. 

damowilk 01 Mar 2023

I like the range of Ergon shaped grips, I use the GP1, even for fairly technical riding, and like the rest that it allows my hands on long flats.

I also tried the Revo suspension grips, to see if it would reduce forearm pain on multiple park downhills: it maybe makes a subtle difference, but not enough to justify the expense and faff of setup for me.

gethin_allen 01 Mar 2023
In reply to Maggot:

> Oooh er Mrs!

I did think the same moments after I posted it.

LastBoyScout 02 Mar 2023
In reply to damowilk:

It's the GA2 I was struggling with. Will keep them as spare, in case I ever get round to building up my old MTB that doesn't have lock-out forks.

I've also got a non-Ergon pair that look like your GP1, but not got round to trying them out. Friend of mine has GP2/3 on his touring bike and seems to really like the comfort.

In reply to Jakaitch:

You'll be delighted to know I've ordered some dmr deathgrips. If they're rubbish I'll replace them in another seven or eight years 

Yanis Nayu 02 Mar 2023
In reply to gethin_allen:

> It's very personal. I'd say the main things are thickness and firmness.

Ooh err!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...