Most vital spares to take Cycle touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 12 Apr 2021

I will at first be touring in UK, then Western Europe, and I was wondering what spares to take. I read tales of kit lists and all sorts of spares, but as a person who can just about mend a puncture and is very likely to screw the pedals in the wrong way around, its all a bit pointless.

I will take an inner tube or two.
Something to mend the chain ????? a split link.

But something I have heard mentioned is a rear mech hanger. I assume this is the bit that connects the little wheels at the back to the frame. I am thinking this is light and could get Broken and crucially is bike specific so be hard to get hold of, enroute.

What spares do you think are vital, and is a rear mech hanger one of them?

First trips will be along canals and Sutrans routes, so really I am only an Uber from safety, so this is not life or death.

felt 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Sounds fun.

For all rides I always take a fold-up Allen key set, a mini pump, two inner tubes, a strip of toothpaste tube and a length of tape wrapped around a water bottle. I used to take a chain splitter but broken chains are so rare that I can't be bothered any more and will cross that bridge as and when.

In reply to J1234:

On an extended trip a replacement mech hanger is a good idea.  It could take a couple of days to source a spare en-route.  You will be more or less stuck until fixed.
A couple of spokes taped to the frame somewhere out of the way can save a bit of hassle too.

felt 12 Apr 2021
In reply to felt:

Forgot, also two tyre levers. You don't need three.

drdjpower 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

For a start: zip ties, puncture kit, multi-tool with a chain splitter, tubes. Then build up if you feel the need. Zip ties fix most things!

If you do snap a rear mech hanger (unlikely, unless you are hitting things hard off-road) and you really are miles from help (unlikely) then you can bodge a single speed which will let you gently trundle along the flats, coast the downs, and walk the ups if necessary.

Andrew W 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

My normal touring spares kit includes;

2 inner tubes, patch kit and mini pump

Quicklink and chain tool

Allan key set some of the ratcheting ones can take up less space than a full size set

Small bottle of chain lube and rag to clean excess lube off chain

Couple spare spokes and spoke key

Few cable ties

The only spares I've had to use so far are using cable ties to replace a bolt when one of my rack bolts decided to come undone. Replacement mech hangers can be hard to source or take a few days so probably a worthwhile spare to carry when going further abroad.

Mouflon 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Steve,
Agree with most of the comments (add gaffer tape to zip ties) but also think about getting ETA Cycle Rescue. 
Looks like it's now £24 but unlimited callouts. 

They won't fix punctures but for a breakdown will transport you & your bike to a bike shop/home/railway station. Covers UK and abroad.

Fat Bumbly2 12 Apr 2021
In reply to felt:

Just crossed the chain splitter bridge.  When I got home (walkies) I found that I had lost it. Took two weeks to score a new one. 

gethin_allen 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

my usual riding kit is a multitool (crank brothers multi 19) which covers most things and also has a chain tool in it, a couple of tubes, a few patches and glue, nitrile gloves, 2 tyre levers, small roll of gaffer tape, a few different sized zip ties, chain quick link.

gear hangers are, as you say, light and not a hassle to carry, but these days they are a lot easier to get hold of than they used to be and in my experience, the only time I've destroyed a hanger I've also destroyed the chain so I've had to botch it together and find a shop asap anyhow so the hanger on it's own wouldn't have been any use anyhow.

Wally 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Agree with most of the above.

Spare spokes is always a good thing - especially if you don't have disc brakes. It depend a little on terrain and load but I carry heavy loads on mixed terrain and have broken a few spokes. The first time when I was less experienced put me in limp mode with no back brake for a while. 

I would also recommend trailing a few simple repairs at home before you start. Change the chain, mend a buckled wheel etc etc. 

Remember that gaffer tape and cable ties can also get you out of a lot of problems....albeit maybe with limited function ability and for a temporary occasion.... but can really get you out of the sh1t.

e.ms355 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

The only major issue i've had on longer touring trip was spokes buckling with the weight of panniers after going over some more rough terrain, luckily at the time we weren't too far from a bike shop but worth either taking a spare spoke, knowing how to fix it or knowing where the nearest bike shops are en route

robhorton 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

I've only actually needed a chain too once, and of course that was the one time I'd forgotten it. That was because one side of a link had actually broken, although the chain was nearing the end of its life anyway. I've also had links get bent after the chain got wrapped round the bottom bracket but always managed to make it home.

A chain breaker is fairly standard on a multi tool though and a quick link weighs basically nothing and it's pretty handy being able to take a broken bit of chain out and reconnect it easily if you ever need to - it's not really one of those things you can bodge that easily.

J1234 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Mouflon:

Thats sounds good, I will look into that, thank you.

RX-78 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

On top of what is already mentioned i also carry a few spare hex bolts, just in case.

J1234 12 Apr 2021
In reply to RX-78:

Now thats an interesting one, I was listening to a podcast and the chap said he had re tapped his Pannier racks to a larger size, so that they would be a bigger bolt and I think it was so that he would have to carry less variation of bolts. 

This was a proper dude though, who went to places ending in Stan, not the Rhine Cycle route.

Jim Lancs 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

What to take is a real headache, but there's a couple of things to bear in mind. Bike shops tend to be situated near centres of population (towns) which we tend to avoid when touring - there is precious little help available when you need it. Even in France, the idea of every village having a garage where the mechanic is also a keen member of the local bike club are largely gone. You might be able to borrow some larger generic tools, but a lot of things on a modern bike need dedicated tools. You'd also be surprised on a touring bike the number of things like racks and mudguards that need more tools than the average multitool provides. I also carry separate allen keys as they're easier to use in some situations and are lighter.

You need to do a 'risk assessment' of what might go wrong. The most common problem is things rattling loose, followed by damage and cuts to tyres. (A folding lightweight spare tyre for me always sits on the cusp of 'should I - shouldn't I take' on longer tours, but never have). Then at the other end of the scale ignore stuff which will never be a problem - for instance a spare gear hanger for your bike I think would require you to carry oxyacetylene brazing gear to fit. I would also put spare spokes in this category. I used to carry them taped to my seat stays, but if you have your wheels given the once over by a really good wheelbuilder after about 1000 miles of initial riding, they are pretty much trouble free. Same with gear and brake cables - have carried them for miles but never used one.

Then it's the things that whilst fairly rare, are quick and easy to fix with the right tools, but immobilise the bike if they happen. I've come across numerous examples of broken chains, chains stuck between the chainset and bottom bracket, chains stuck between the cassette and rear spokes. So I carry miniature versions of a crank puller for my bike and cassette tool. Dedicated touring outlets and bike rallies used to be the source of fantastic little tools made by men in sheds out of unobtanium, etc.

Edit - have no idea why ducktape, electrical tape, soft seizing wire and assorted cable ties are not on that list! Wouldn't leave home without them.

Post edited at 09:52

In reply to J1234:

Along with your spare tubes, it's also worth carrying a tyre boot patch.  This will stop an inner tube bulging through a split in the side of the tyre wall.  It's a small, flexible piece of plastic and you can easily make your own by cutting a piece out of a butter container lid.  About 2" x 1.5" should suffice.

Duck tape (as already mentioned) is easily carried wrapped around a mini pump.  Fix the tyre boot patch in place on the inside of the tyre using tape.

Spoke breakages usually occur on the side under most stress, which is the rear, drive, side. Unless you carry the means to remove the cassette/freewheel you are going to be spannered.

Fixing A Broken Spoke Using Cable Ties:

You'll need cable ties (carry a selection of sizes, as suggested), a spoke key that fits and a small pair of pliers (carrying a multi tool - Leatherman type thingy - works as it gives you other tools such as 'drivers though do make it a lightweight one). 

1. Use the pliers to bend the broken spoke ends into loops.

2. Thread three medium cable ties through the loops to join the spoke.

3. Back off the nipple of the broken spoke a couple of turns.

4. Use the pliers to tighten the cable ties. Do each one in turn and repeat until they are very tight.  Really haul on those pliers!   

5. Hold the spoke loop on the rim side of the break and tighten the nipple until the wheel is roughly back in true. 

Used this to continue on a ride over Cut Gate and then used the bike a few times again before sourcing a new spoke. It works.  Obviously the caveat is needing enough spoke left to form the loop. If the spoke breaks right at the elbow (hub) and the broken piece will come out, it might be possible to use a small cable tie directly through the hub.

Happy riding 

TobyA 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Setting your tires up tubeless before you go has many advantages but then you'll need to bring some slightly different things for 'puncture repair'. Having a leatherman or similar with some usable pliers on it can be very useful to fix things on your bike as well as for around camp. I bought a mini Gerber one not so long ago which goes in my day ride tool kit if I'm riding one of my bikes with tubeless tires after an experience of the lock ring on the valve refusing to unlock on a cold winter day! The sealant didn't seal a small cut in the tyre so I was going to put my inner tube in, but couldn't get the tubeless valve out with fingers alone. But the pliers can help with other little jobs also.

I broke my mech hanger this time a year ago and it was tricky getting a replacement in the pandemic. But I've only broken hangers twice in my life although I suspect it is probably over the last 15 or so years that I've had bikes with replaceable hangers. Earlier steel framed bikes I guess just had them as part of the frame. Of those two times, the first I just needed to get a replacement hanger. The second time the mech went through the wheel and got trashed so I had to replace the mech as well. Not difficult but not the sort of thing you would be carrying as a spare anyway.

LastBoyScout 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

When I went cycle touring, I took a multi-tool with chain breaker, Leatherman, couple of quick links, spare gear cable, spare spokes, roll of tape, zip ties, few spare bolts and washers, chain lube and rag, couple of P-clips in case of rack issues, couple of spare tubes and puncture kit, tyre boot, pump.

I was on a steel frame with non-replaceable mech hanger, or I would have packed one of those, too.

Probably overkill for most trips, but as we were going pretty remote, I also packed some epoxy metal (which we actually used to fix a wobbly rack). Also as group kit, we had a spare tyre between us - helps if you're all on the same size wheels. If you're going as a group, make sure someone hasn't got something that needs a special tool that you haven't packed!

Replacing spokes in the rear wheel usually requires removing the cassette, which you can't really do with a multi-tool, but a mate has a gadget for doing that using the chain and frame.

Worth considering setting up your bike for touring, too - consider replacing hydraulic brakes with cable operated (a friend of mine had a brake issue somewhere and ended up filling them up with olive oil!) and air-spring forks with coil sprung (another friend's forks collapsed on a trip due to a faulty valve - fortunately, I'd packed a tool to replace it and managed to source a spare, but we were VERY lucky to be able to borrow a shock pump from another group).

Post edited at 11:38
 Boomer Doomer 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Some great suggestions above. I haven't seen a set of cables mentioned (or perhaps one brake and one gear cable). It won't stop you if one goes, but if the rear derailleur cable goes you'll be stuck in top gear until you get a new one... which depending on the terrain, could be a pain in the... thighs. I suppose you could adjust the limit screw for a gear or two. You have to weigh up (literally) what is worth taking.

Hooo 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

From recent experience I would say that a spare mech hanger is worthwhile. I snapped mine while trying to straighten the derailleur after a crash. Took seconds to fit, but a week to arrive. They are bike specific, so will almost certainly not be available locally when you need one, and they only weigh a few grams.

dovebiker 12 Apr 2021

I haven't seen it mentioned, but running tubeless reduces the risk of puncture and makes it easier to repair without removing the tyre - I carry a small bottle of sealant and a tubeless repair kit (it fits in my bar end). I still carry a spare tube and a piece of old tyre (boot) in case there's a big cut to the tyre.

As well as having a chain breaker on my mini-tool, I carry a couple of spare quick-links and a short length of chain in case it gets damaged. Most 11-12 speed quick links need a tool to re-open - Leatherman pliers at a stretch, or you can get tyre levers that lock together to do the same job.

IME many of the 'serious' mechanicals I've encountered are due to poor maintenance beforehand - servicing the bike beforehand, making sure everything is tight, replace if worn.

Spare gear hanger and gear cable is sensible. 

Simon Pelly 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Have found that having a couple of pairs of disposable PPE type gloves are useful, especially when you hands get all mucked up with chain oil. Roll then inside out once finished.

Simon...

EddInaBox 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

I have one of these although I have have never used it, it isn't made any more but other similar tools are available:
http://velobase.com/ViewTool.aspx?ID=97f8d159-1011-41f9-acff-354e199ffb5c
The idea is that you remove the wheel, put the tool against the lock ring and put it back in the frame, then with the chain in the lowest gear combination you apply force to the crank and the lock ring should come undone.

I have also never used my chain tool, it has been tucked away in the bottom end of my seat post for decades:
https://www.kaysgoldenb.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_i...

Another thing I have thought about getting is a temporary spoke:
https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/2015/07/11/fiberfix-emergency-spoke-revie...

LastBoyScout 12 Apr 2021
In reply to EddInaBox:

Yes, the Hyper Cracker is the one I was allusing to, but forgot the name.

There's a few alternatives on the market, but much the same thing and work in the same way - such as eBay item 402031335462 and https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/equipment/sp/stein-mini-...

Edit: You'd also need it to remove centre-lock brake disks.

Post edited at 16:31
 earlsdonwhu 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

It may depend on the robustness of your bike!

Rear mechs are notoriously vulnerable to dodgy baggage handlers if you decide to fly out with your bike. Destination is also a consideration...loads of LBS in Netherlands and France but fewer in places like eg. Hungary.

J1234 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Thanks for all the advice, the ETA cycle rescue looks a good thing. It seems that having the tool to do the job, is a lucky charm to make sure you will never have to.

First Bike arrives tomorrow, very excited.

Timy2 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

A must have to put on your list is...rear deraillier hanger! Other bits, couple of spare spokes, piece of scrap inner tube ( for patch in case of split in tyre), small selection of relevant allen bolts, short length deraillier or brake cable.  I kept some spares and tools in the second water bottle in cage.

Bobling 12 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Good thread, the only thing to add from my repair kit is a lightweight spanner which is the right size for adjusting my cantilever brakes.  You can do them with an adjustable but it is an absolute pain.

Dave the Rave 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> On an extended trip a replacement mech hanger is a good idea.  It could take a couple of days to source a spare en-route.  You will be more or less stuck until fixed.

> A couple of spokes taped to the frame somewhere out of the way can save a bit of hassle too.

Can you just tape the spare spoke to the broken one? Would that work?

HardenClimber 12 Apr 2021
In reply to felt:

Yes, bit of toothpaste tube makes an excellent boot for a torn tyre.

nniff 13 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

I wrap my spare inner tube tightly in cling film - it makes it a bit smaller and keeps stray grit etc off it.  It also provides something with which to hold the chain when faffing with a rear wheel puncture. 

I also put in a pair of nitrile gloves in case of more involved faffing or a rear wheel change in foul weather, which is always a filthy business.  The mini tool (a very mini tool) lives inside those to keep it rust free, along with a  couple of self-adhesive patches.  My indulgence is a mini-Fumpa pump which is a wonder. No stress, no effort and good for 2 and a bit tyres.  https://www.fumpapumps.com/

And one tyre lever.

wilkie14c 13 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

A lot of suggestions of spare spokes but in reality you’d need to take 3, 2 sizes used on back wheel and one on front. Touring bikes and tandems generally have a high spoke count, 32 and upwards to account for extra weight in your luggage. Should one snap, the high spoke count probably won’t shut you down but the wheel will be a bit wobbly until it’s fixed, sometimes to the point of disabling the brake on that wheel. A better solution is a temp spoke. This is a dyneema cord and fittings for each end that’ll get you sorted to get you moving. You don’t need to worry about removing the cassette if breakage occurs on back wheel. These temp spokes are move value to roadies really with their super light, low spike count wheels but taking one touring is good sense and could mean you don’t need to worry about taking a cassette tool and the problems and weight of that approach.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke/

Ive carried one for years but not had to use it. I like it that way, as someone said, the little spoke kit is more of a lucky charm 😁

Mech hanger is a must.

For the weight they are i’d also take a rear brake cable and rear mech cable (if different diameters like my shimy 105 GS, brake and gears are different diameters) if you take the longer rears then obviously they’ll cover the fronts too but not the other way around.

I had to stop to tighten a bottle cage bolt a few times which was annoying but easily fixed when home by thread locking the bolts once home. 

A manual pump rather than a CO2 pump for touring. If you catch a lane that has just had the hawthorn bushes cut you’ll be fixing punctures for fun but at least you won’t run out of gas.

Some cash and a list of phone numbers too. If you lost/broke your mobile you’ll have a means to call nearest and dearest. I still don’t know my wife’s phone number and she’s had it ten years! 

Good luck! 

Kimono 15 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Im not sure anyone else has said it but if im going somewhere remote, ill take a spare tyre. I managed to split a tyre at the top of a mountain in a remote part of northern Vietnam in October on the 3rd day of a 6 week trip so was very glad id brought a spare

Fat Bumbly2 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I did one at the head of Glen Roy once (winter), that was bad enough.

GerM 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I have also carried a spare tyre for touring in much less remote situations. Modern tyres can be light enough and easily stowed due to folding beads. I guess it is a question of is it really worth it for a pretty unlikely occurance, but I have certainly experienced unbodgable tyre failures in the past (although as it happens not while touring). The thing with a serious enough failure of a tyre is it renders the bike completely unrideable.

Kimono 16 Apr 2021
In reply to GerM:

Exactly. And as I’m riding a road bike the tires tend to be not the strongest but they are light and foldable. As you say, no tire, no riding 

GPN 18 Apr 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

A solution to removing the cassette lock ring  for replacing rear wheel drive side spokes is an ‘NBT2’ tool: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m13b0s72p595/NBT2-%28Next-Best-Thing%29-Cassett...

It probably weighs about 20 grams. As others have said, if you can’t remove the cassette then there’s probably no point carrying replacement spokes. For shorter trips in places with lots of bike shops then emergency cord is probably the way to go!

DaveHK 18 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Nearly 40 posts in and no one has mentioned a corkscrew. What kind of touring are you guys doing? Are you not drinking or, god forbid, is it screwcaps for you?  

Jim Lancs 19 Apr 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> Nearly 40 posts in and no one has mentioned a corkscrew. 

Well the discussion was about 'spares'. 

Surely corkscrew comes under 'essential basics' ? That's a whole separate list.

J1234 19 Apr 2021
In reply to GPN:

> A solution to removing the cassette lock ring  for replacing rear wheel drive side spokes is an ‘NBT2’ tool: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m13b0s72p595/NBT2-%28Next-Best-Thing%29-Cassett...

I would walk home before buying anything from Spa Cycles.

GPN 19 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Ha! Other retailers are available...

DaveHK 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Well the discussion was about 'spares'. 

> Surely corkscrew comes under 'essential basics' ? That's a whole separate list.

You only carry one?! What if it breaks or you lose it? Doesn't bear thinking about. Always take a spare.  

Post edited at 19:11
Le Sapeur 19 Apr 2021
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> It may depend on the robustness of your bike!

> Rear mechs are notoriously vulnerable to dodgy baggage handlers 

Good point. It's best to unscrew the rear mech for travel. 

DaveHK 19 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

> > 

> I would walk home before buying anything from Spa Cycles.

What's the story here then? There are a few outlets I've heard much hate for but Spa isn't one of them.

Dave Cundy 19 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

One useful tip Henry Iddon gave me...

Chop a 6 inch chunk out of an old tyre and then cut the beads off it.  It makes an emergency boot to go between the inner tube and a bit of tyre damage.  Much more compact than a complete spare tyre.

Kimono 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave Cundy:

new plastic cash works well also...and gel wrappers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...