Mallorca - best base for cycling trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coldfell 17 Nov 2021

As we are climbers recently converted to cycling, I thought I would try here for info first. Looking for the best place to stay on the island, we will be hiring bikes and hoping to do gravel and some road biking. I wondered if it would be best to stay in Palma and then we don't need to hire a car, are gravel rides viable from here and can public transport be used with bikes?

We will probably go in March, what sort of temperatures can we expect?

TIA for any tips.

SiWood 17 Nov 2021
In reply to coldfell:

Pollenca and Port de Pollenca are the popular choices for cyclists as good access to the mountains and coastal rides. Plenty of bike shops as well for rental or service. Soller is another possibility. Palma is a bit away from the main road routes but not unfeasible.

Thats for road cycling not gravel. 

mike123 17 Nov 2021
In reply to SiWood: what he said . I’ve stayed in pollensa a few time for cragging   trips and hired bikes for the day . I reckon if you stayed in palma for a biking trip you would need a car ( happy to be corrected ). Palma is good if you want to climb in the day and party at night , otherwise no real reason to stay there . 

LastBoyScout 17 Nov 2021
In reply to coldfell:

We stayed in Alcudia and there seemed to be plenty of bike shops around. Huerzeler seemed to be the local (or, at least, the biggest) one for the higher-end bikes, but there's loads of hire shops around wherever you go, you just need to find one at the right spec.

There is also an Assos outlet shop, but the prices still seemed pretty steep when compared to the UK.

In reply to SiWood:

> Pollenca and Port de Pollenca are the popular choices for cyclists as good access to the mountains and coastal rides. Plenty of bike shops as well for rental or service. Soller is another possibility. Palma is a bit away from the main road routes but not unfeasible.

> Thats for road cycling not gravel. 

This, plus PDPollenca and surrounding area is lovely. Pollenca is also nice; the square comes alive at night and the market during the day is superb. Sa Calobra is close.

RobAJones 17 Nov 2021
In reply to coldfell:

I'd just echo what everyone else has said about Pollenca/PDP. I've only been in Nov/Jan pre-covid then car hire was next to nothing for the week.

Weather wise we did have one very windy and occasionally wet week, but even then it was shorts and short-sleeved on the up hill and a wind proof on the descents and I'm a bit of a wimp.

Edit. Mrs J has just reminded me that the car hire was less than £10 (ten, I haven't missed a 0) but it did involve a bit of arguing at the airport that we didn't need to take out their "extra" insurance 

Post edited at 16:04
 overdrawnboy 17 Nov 2021
In reply to coldfell:

My first ever trip to Majorca at Easter (1968 I think)it snowed. Meanwhile Britain had a heatwave. 

In reply to coldfell:

I've been twice in late feb/early march and it has been very pleasant for cycling and climbing 15c - 20c day time temps at low levels seemed average from what I remember.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...