Maintenance Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nathan79 07 Aug 2019

Finally got around to buying myself a bike again 12 years after doing any sort of regular riding, and even then it was only a few miles commuting to work.

Any recommendations on good books for maintenance info? Disk brakes are completely alien to me (mechanical in this case) and I want to get to grips with tweaking them sooner rather than later.

jbrom 07 Aug 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Mechanical disks are similar to adjust to other cable actuated brakes like V brakes. So hopefully not too much of a dark art!

Not a book I know, but the Park Tool website is a great resource with helpful and easy to follow how to guides on most aspects of bike maintenance. 

Enjoy the new ride!

climbingpixie 07 Aug 2019
In reply to nathan79:

The Park Tools Big Blue Book is great. And, as mentioned above, they also do helpful videos online. If you plan to do much work on your bike I'd also recommend a bike stand - it makes everything much easier to deal with. 

elsewhere 07 Aug 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance

or

Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance

cb294 08 Aug 2019
In reply to climbingpixie:

+1 for the bike stand. Also, if you have Shimano gear, their website has great schematic drawings of the various components.

CB

Toby_W 08 Aug 2019
In reply to climbingpixie:

What he said ^ plus it’s online as well at parktool.com.  

Cheers

Toby

Rigid Raider 08 Aug 2019
In reply to nathan79:

I haven't looked inside one of those Zinn bibles in recent years so I wonder if they have been revised to include disc brakes?

As usual in this digital era you don't really need to go out and buy a book because every possible repair and adjustment is covered by somebody somewhere on YouTube and much more specific to your particular bike or groupset if you word the search terms accurately. 

Another option is to join a bike-specific forum such as Cycle Chat, which has a huge membership of experienced bike riders and fettlers:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Post edited at 09:01
OP nathan79 08 Aug 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Cheers for the tips folks.

I'd stumbled across the Park Tools website and bookmarked it, good to know it's useful.

I'd been browsing the Zinn books on Amazon so might as well treat myself. 

I'd debated the need for a stand and figure I might as well get one.

Now to get as many miles and trails in before winter as I can!

Fruitbat 08 Aug 2019
In reply to nathan79:

nathan79, where do you live? I might be able to help you out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...