Long-legged waterproof over-trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 damowilk 17 Oct 2019

Hi, I’d be grateful for any recommendations for waterproof over trousers that are sized for the tall and slim, getting a bit sick of wet ankles!

Durable and waterproof preferred more than light and breathable, as they are for bike commuting. Any bright colour, rather than black a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

TobyA 18 Oct 2019
In reply to damowilk:

I wore my Decathlon waterproof cycling trousers for the first time in forever on monday. I'm 175 with longer legs than back, so not mega tall but not little either and was thinking mine are too long for me really. The have flip down flaps that go over the front of your foot anyway, but they are so long they were down at the heel of my boots as well. With my winter boots on it actually made a great seal and despite riding through unavoidable standing water for much of my ride, plus it pi**ing down the whole way, I had dry legs. Not bad for less than 20 quid IIRC correctly.

benp1 18 Oct 2019
In reply to damowilk:

I'm 6'3 and not found anything perfect

Berghaus deluge used to, and might still do, come in a long leg version. Might be too flappy for cycling, I used mine on the motorbike mainly. 

To be honest, I find waterproof trousers on the bike to be annoying and prefer waterproof shorts, but maybe if I found some long enough (32/34 waist but 34 inside leg, so needs to be about 35-36 inches long to cope with a bent knee)

Siward 18 Oct 2019
In reply to damowilk:

Maybe try some long waterproof overboots? Or stretchy gaiters? 

Toby_W 18 Oct 2019
In reply to benp1:

I feel for you, I'm exactly the same.  189cm (6'3) long legs thin (right waists size and I look like I'm in shorts) and I have positive ape index.  I have a problem with shirts as well when I buy my neck size the sleeves come down to my elbows.

What needs to happen is for the rest of the population to loose weight or for me to get fat.

Cheers

Toby

OP damowilk 18 Oct 2019
In reply to benp1:

I’m not quite as tall, 186cm, but waist about 30/31. I cycle to work in all weather, and we don’t have showers, so I usually cycle in work clothes. If it’s raining, I wear waterproof scarpa running shoes with a bit of a sock-gaiter, but my existing over trousers don’t overlap down enough. 

I’ll have a look at the decathlon website, but unfortunately they don’t deliver here (NZ.)

benp1 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

My top tip is to buy shirts from a proper shirt company - TM lewin, charles tyrwhitt etc

I have mostly CT shirts, they come in a collar size, arm length and chest fit. They're not expensive and often have offers (say around £20 each). I'm 16.5 inch collar, super slim fit chest with 36 inch sleeve. No normal high street retailer offers anything like that

It's a real shame outdoor manufacturers don't do something similar. I end up buying stuff from certain places as I know they'll often fit well (scandinavian brands, plus rab and montane for top half, UA for base layers etc)

cb294 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

Ha, I have the opposite problem: If I buy the right neck size the shirttails go to my knees, and the sleeves are so long that it looks as if they were meant to be tied securely across my back.

For shirts I cannot wear with the top buttons open (because they go with a tie) I have therefore switched to bespoke shirts. Fortunately I only need a couple of those, and they last ages as I wear them maybe once or twice a year.

CB

gneiss boots 02 Nov 2019
In reply to damowilk: Crux actually do a long leg version and so when I need to replace my current trousers are the ones I was going to look at having had similar problems to you. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...