Leisurely Kielder forest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What are the logging/fire roads through fielder forest like.

Looking for a 8-10 mile ride tomorrow on the eastern side of the forest but....

My partner isn't a regular cyclist and only has a hybrid with kind of slick tyres, so do the roads/trails tend to be packed gravel or mud?

We also have our dog who is good with bikes, sheep, cars, people,kids and other dogs but a bit of an issue around picnics.

Can anyone weigh in or have any suggestions

smollett 27 Aug 2020
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

In my experience they are gravel but not always that tightly packed. I used to ride them on a cyclo cross bike and pinch flats were a frequent issue for me. If you have good tyres and run at a good pressure you should be ok. Beware of bridleways there. Many of them do not exist now as the forest tracks have made them redundant. There are a few bridleways across the non forested bits around there that are knee deep bog for considerable length. There are 3 bothies in the area which make good pit stops or add a bit of interest.

MJAngry 27 Aug 2020

The multiuser tracks put in around the res are pretty smooth. The fire roads will have smooth parts. 

Stenton 27 Aug 2020

Only really know it from the Dirty Reiver but the main track over from Byrness to Kielder is mostly packed dirt, usually it's the smoothest ride but after recent rain, I wouldn't be so sure. I see Google Maps has been along the Pennine Way section and some other bits, probably best to look at those and work it out from there.

coinneach 27 Aug 2020

I’ve ridden round the loch quite often recently, the path is well surfaced and doable on slicks. Haven’t ridden any other tracks but if they’re as well maintained she should be ok.

Thanks everyone, this rain isn't going to make the tracks better! Will see what the morning brings.

woppo 28 Aug 2020

the only issue i have is that there are limited views riding a corridor of pines which gets a bit 'samey'

circuit of the lake at least has some open views

Post edited at 18:24
 Lankyman 28 Aug 2020
In reply to coinneach:

> I’ve ridden round the loch quite often recently,

Oi! Last time I checked Kielder Water was well south of the border. Hands off!

coinneach 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

So am I . . . 

druridge 29 Aug 2020

There are 400+ miles of dirt roads in Kielder forest, but whats on the ground doesnt exactly match the OS maps.

Most of the fire breaks are grown over (but some are do-able)

Surfaces are pretty solid, mud is almost never an issue, the tracks are graded to take loaded timber lorries, almost all would be negotiated safely with a Ford Transit

Thanks... 

We went to check the lakeside path and it was pretty much deserted so we just went for a few miles along that and then back. I expected it to be pretty busy (being from near Carsington and Ladybower)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...