Kyle of Lochalsh to Montrose by road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 03 Apr 2019

Anyone done that trip? I want to cross Scotland by coast to coast and this route seems do-able. I see there is a mountain biking version of it but anyone done something similar and have any advice/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Lynsey.

subtle 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Easiest cost to coast is by canal tow path - start at Bowling Basin and end at Edinburgh (or vice versa) - only 67 miles, lots of pubs en-route, and not too bad scenery

ScraggyGoat 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

There is no logical, away from fast traffic route on the west. All W-E roads on the west coast are trunk routes with heavy traffic, yes the scenery is nice but the road environment isn't.

As a left field suggestion. Kyle to Armadale get the ferry to Mallaig, then either straight to Fort William, or go via Moidart and Ardgour to Corran and then up to the foot passenger ferry to Fort William (the latter route is much nicer and really good peddling).  Get on the Train at Fort William, and get off at Rannoch station. Cycle to Pitlochry. Follow A9 cycle route to Dunkeld. Then you can work minor roads to Forfar and Montrose.

JCurrie 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

I’ve done Ardnamurchan to Peterhead with a couple of friends.

A lot is on reasonably busy roads but they are generally wide. That said we did nip up the side road alongside the canal to avoid Fort William and the scary road to Spean Bridge.

Once you get to Kingussie there are quieter roads to follow, but navigation gets a bit more involved past Huntly.

The scenery throughout was fantastic. I recommend it.

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...