Inside pedal down on a fast bend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 03 May 2020

Anyone been thrown off their bike - continuing to pedal round a bend - on tarmac ??

james1978 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes. I've only ever done it the once!

yeti 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

ah well we were taught not to at the cycling club...

have pedalled into a couple of kerbs though, comes as a bit of a shock and kinda lifts the bike off the floor, 

Mlewis 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I have done it a few times while crit racing. Feels as if the back jumps up and skips across a little.

Not a nice experience at 25mph...

JLS 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

No, but it was a thing in what’s called criterium racing, where to be competitive, you often had to pedal around the corners. I don’t remember every coming off due to it but certainly my back wheel has been lifted off the ground a few times in arse twitchy moments.

Pedal strike was a bit more common when going slow on steeply banked tracks. Often shorter cranks are used on the track for this reason. As well as frames designed with higher bottom brackets.

Post edited at 09:28
 JLS 03 May 2020
In reply to Mlewis:

Beat me to it.

Myfyr Tomos 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Not since I was about 9 years old. Nasty!

DaveHK 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes, but only on a fixie off-road.

Rigid Raider 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I felt the inside pedal touch the tarmac a few times while racing on the Steven Burke track at Nelson. The tarmac is especially grippy and the radii constant so you can keep pedalling. It just grinds a bit of a chamfer on the underneath outside of the pedal. 

dilatory 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I ride with speedplays. Great for this problem as the super low stack height means your shoe touches before the pedal. In crits I could pedal through corners others can't. 

Trangia 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes, I did when I was in my teens. Lots of grazes to arms, elbows and knees. Like someone else said, it's one of those things you only do once.....

Trangia 03 May 2020

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

> Was it a surprise to you when it happened?

Yes, and I felt bloody stupid afterwards

Yanis Nayu 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

In a road race last year. Four of us were  working our socks off to chase down a break, so the hammer was really down.  I went as wide as I could round a tight bend onto a really narrow country lane and started pedalling hard the split second I thought it was safe. I hadn’t accounted for the sharp adverse camber on the wrong side of the road where it  had rutted and struck the left pedal hard, which put so much force through my body it tilted my saddle forward 45 degrees. Race over. Lucky not to highside it and get properly smashed up.  

OP LeeWood 03 May 2020
In reply to dilatory:

> I ride with speedplays. Great for this problem as the super low stack height means your shoe touches before the pedal. In crits I could pedal through corners others can't. 

sounds helpful, speedplays - is that a pedal-shoe system ? do explain

OP LeeWood 03 May 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Yes, but only on a fixie off-road.

hmm - what can you do with a fixed wheel - obligatory to slow down for some bends ?! 

DaveHK 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

> hmm - what can you do with a fixed wheel - obligatory to slow down for some bends ?! 

Pretty much. Off road it's mainly pedal strikes going over obstructions which you either learn not to worry about or do little hops to reset pedal position. The ends of my cranks are absolutely mashed! 

OP LeeWood 03 May 2020

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

Not yet I have a fav lockdown circuit, on which I have a fav big bend looping across a bridge and around the first house in a village - it's such a pleasure, the temptation is always there to hold the power on

I just attempted empirical (!) measurements on the angle for touchdown - approx 25deg from the vertical on my mountain bike; not sure that knowing this helps though, heh, will it be the same for a roadbike ?

so we just have to play it safe ... unless there's some other way to know ??

dilatory 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Yeah, so instead of SPDSL etc the pedal is very small and the cleat is large, the pedal effectively sits inside the cleat, almost against the sole of the shoe. Your bike geometry had to change if you switch, as you'll be a good cm or two lower than before. A much greater degree of adjustable float too if that's your bag. I just liked the stack height. 

Post edited at 13:07
 Phil1919 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I had a friend who was cycling with his ten year old on the back of a tandem. His son started cruising, not pedaling, and enjoyed the sound he got from putting the toe of his against the spokes. Next minute the tandem skids, judders to a halt....the lads foot/lower leg had been pulled into the wheel, and the wheel locked as his lower leg came up against the stays. Luckily no damage done but the lad finished the cycle pedaling with his knees apart.  Not the same but equally painful. 

OP LeeWood 03 May 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

Ouf !

In reply to LeeWood:

I've done it a couple of times mountain biking but there are situations when it can be difficult to avoid.

Al

Wally 03 May 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes. Once about 15yrs ago. My back wheel jumped and when it landed the tyre was pulled off the rim. Needless to say I hit the ground. Interestingly I got a ‘buzz’ from my pedal a few weeks back. I need to be more careful. 

OP LeeWood 03 May 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

> I've done it a couple of times mountain biking but there are situations when it can be difficult to avoid.

quite often a prob at slow speeds on rocky tracks ... and without a bend even !

OP LeeWood 03 May 2020
In reply to Trangia:

> Yes, I did when I was in my teens. Lots of grazes to arms, elbows and knees. Like someone else said, it's one of those things you only do once.....

But of all the reasons to come off a bike - I know several experienced cyclists who still get caught out with gravel on bends - could this be more common ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...